2018 Cyclone Tripping Shore Power Breaker

bkline310

Hi All,

First off I have an 18 cyclone 4270.

I'm having issues with the CG breaker tripping around the same time every day and now its becoming more and more frequent (Trips and keeps tripping) So I'm gonna post a long post to get all the info out there.

Now then,

When I first got to the Campground I was walked through hook ups and connections (Manager was quite nice and wanted make sure I was situated). After hooking up power I started the AC's up. (Its Arizona so gotta have those on) Ran all 3 AC's along with fridge and water heater and sometimes even microwave no problems for about 3/4 days. (I also Had lights and TV's on). On that 3rd or 4th day finally poof I think I hit the limit. Everything turned off (except lights 12v battery kept those on) go outside to find breaker has been tripped and well no errors on the surge protector. Turned a few things off then attempted to flip the breaker... Well it didn't even flip back. What felt like I flipped it back it actually went straight into the "tripped" position (Let me add that I have unplugged the trailer at this point). Continue to pop it back when finally it stays. Plug it back in and go on about my business while only running a max of 2 AC's and Water heater. 3 days later same thing poof roughly around the same time a day again. ( 12-3pm).

So continue this cycle of power management down to it happening everyday and getting down to 1 AC and a few lights and it still trips.. I'm at lost of what to check for other than (which I have) told the campground to get another breaker installed or have this one looked at. Nothing in the Trailer is tripped and never had an issue while dry camping in it with the generator (minus never turning on 3 AC's at once).

I don't think anything is wrong with the trailer because I did run all 3 AC's, ALL the lights, and ALL the TV's (There are 4) while at the dealership for about 6/8 hours while I did my walk through. Unless I missed something can someone point me in the right direction at this point I'm flipping tables like screw it CG fault but I hate pointing figures unless 100% sure.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense I can clarify more details if asked. I wrote this in a rush.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Bkline310 and welcome to this great forum. Lots of good info here.
I think you are on the right track to ask for a replacement breaker at the pedestal. They are always used as a disconnect and are not meant to be so. They do take a beating and don't last forever.

Peace
Dave

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Hi and Welcome bkline310!
I agree that you're on the right track thinking circuit breaker at the pedestal. The inability to reset is probably a result of built up heat. Perhaps there's a loose wire that's causing the breaker to get hot and trip as opposed to excessive amp draw.

Also, I believe your Cyclone has a power management system that would drop an AC unit off line if you had an excessive amp draw.

Ask the park manager if he can have someone open the pedestal and have a look before the issue gets worse.

bkline310

So come to find out I had a 30amp breaker with 50amp rated everything else (Plug and wires). Electrician was just here and replaced the breaker. So far so good. (been 40mins) I have all 3 ac's running, water heater, 3 TV's, fridge, and few lights (trying to load it while the electrician is here) so far no pop. Doing good. I'm waiting til tomorrow around 4 before all good due to how it typically pops at that time.

Just hope its good because its starting to heat up. Glad this is happening now when its only 95 out not 120...

danemayer

Your 2018 Cyclone has a Precision Circuits power control system which limits the power consumption to 50 amps on each power leg. So running 3 A/C units will not exceed the power coming off of a properly operating campground 50 amp pedestal. If campground maintenance hasn't yet opened the pedestal, they should start looking for loose wires. And of course, a new 50 amp receptacle costs maybe $15 and a new breaker maybe $20. Given your experience, they should assume both are possible culprits and just replace them.

Our Electrical User Guide has information about the PCS system on page 14. Your PCS control panel will look different from what's pictured.

bkline310

Your 2018 Cyclone has a Precision Circuits power control system which limits the power consumption to 50 amps on each power leg. So running 3 A/C units will not exceed the power coming off of a properly operating campground 50 amp pedestal. If campground maintenance hasn't yet opened the pedestal, they should start looking for loose wires. And of course, a new 50 amp receptacle costs maybe $15 and a new breaker maybe $20. Given your experience, they should assume both are possible culprits and just replace them.

Our Electrical User Guide has information about the PCS system on page 14. Your PCS control panel will look different from what's pictured.

Good to know!

So Follow up everything is running fine now. 2 days all 3 ac's set to pretty low 75/80 depending on wife while its 95 outside. So far no issues so looks like campground breaker was the sole issue. Thanks for the replies.