2019 Heartland Prowler 29 PKRS

COURTCOP

Didn't get much information from the dealer when we bought it and then they damaged the floor getting it ready for us ( no fault on their part just something stupid) and we had to wait 5 weeks before we could pick it up. Anyways I am looking at this camper and am attempting to figure out the water heater bypass deal. It appears to be a one valve bypass and am curious if anyone can help me in finding out which valve it is. I think I know which one it is and am going to do some testing tomorrow but would appreciate any help possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me figure this out. Take it easy !!!!

danemayer

Hi COURTCOP,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The 2 types of water heater bypass are pictured and discussed on page 24 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide.

I wasn't aware that Prowlers were using the single valve type of bypass. But if so, there's probably a diagram somewhere nearby (maybe on a cargo door) that identifies the various valves and other components.

COURTCOP

Hi COURTCOP,

The 2 types of water heater bypass are pictured and discussed on page 24 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide.

I wasn't aware that Prowlers were using the single valve type of bypass. But if so, there's probably a diagram somewhere nearby (maybe on a cargo door) that identifies the various valves and other components.

Thank you so much for your quick response. My wife and I are not newbies to RV life and I can make my way around inside campers. However, the dealer never went over this with me and I forgot to ask before we left the dealer because we were so annoyed with them for how long it took to get our camper ready and they did a poor job at that as well. I had to take out 4 drawers to get at the water heater and there are 2 valves one on the hot side and one on the cold side and I can feel a crossover pipe but there is no valve on that whatsoever. Underneath my counter after removing an access panel is where my water pump and furnace are located. I can see 3 valves. One valve looks to be the winterizing hose connected to the water pump. Another valve that is in the open position that appears to allow water into the system, or is the valve that you shut off to use the water out of the fresh water tank. Then another valve off of a T that appears to head over to the hot water tank that is in the off position. At least I believe it heads over to the tank. Very hard to follow as there is framing and counter support in the way. I believe that is my bypass valve. I will try to send a picture if you folks will allow me....

- - - Updated - - -

Hi COURTCOP,

And I think I misquoted I believe my camper is a Heartland Prowler PRKS. Not PKRS LOL !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for your quick response. My wife and I are not newbies to RV life and I can make my way around inside campers. However, the dealer never went over this with me and I forgot to ask before we left the dealer because we were so annoyed with them for how long it took to get our camper ready and they did a poor job at that as well. I had to take out 4 drawers to get at the water heater and there are 2 valves one on the hot side and one on the cold side and I can feel a crossover pipe but there is no valve on that whatsoever. Underneath my counter after removing an access panel is where my water pump and furnace are located. I can see 3 valves. One valve looks to be the winterizing hose connected to the water pump. Another valve that is in the open position that appears to allow water into the system, or is the valve that you shut off to use the water out of the fresh water tank. Then another valve off of a T that appears to head over to the hot water tank that is in the off position. At least I believe it heads over to the tank. Very hard to follow as there is framing and counter support in the way. I believe that is my bypass valve. I will try to send a picture if you folks will allow me....

- - - Updated - - -

And I think I misquoted I believe my camper is a Heartland Prowler PRKS. Not PKRS LOL !!!

I did look and there is no diagram anywhere. Unfortunately

COURTCOP

Re: 2019 Heartland Prowler 29 PRKS

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I did look and there is no diagram anywhere. Unfortunately

Her are some pics if it helps....20190411_191022.jpg

20190411_190909.jpg
20190411_191123.jpg
Sorry that the pics are coming in sideways. So I misspoke about the 3 valves. As you can see there are only 2 valves. I believe the one closest to the floor is the bypass. ???? Thanks for your help. The picture with the valves next to the water pump.....Then there is a shutoff for the cold and the hot on the hot water tank. Thanks !!!!

Last edited:

berky

The two valves at your heater are combination passthrough/bypass valves. In the position shown in the photo, the valve plug is open between the upper and left ports, while the right port (to the bypass hose) is blocked.

When you turn both valves CCW a quarter turn (90 deg), the valve plug is open between the right and left ports, while the upper port is blocked.

It's a bit difficult to explain in words: (1) Looking down onto the top valve (hot water side) from the handle end, picture a "T" shaped cavity in the valve plug. In the position shown the two arms of the "T" are oriented vertically, with one arm at the upper port and the other arm reaching out to the bottom of the valve body. The leg of the "T" goes to the left, connecting to the left port. So one arm and the leg of the "T" tie together the upper port and left port, while the other arm of the "T" goes nowhere. (2) Now visualize that "T" being rotated CCW by 90 degrees. The two arms of the "T" tie together the left port and right port, while the leg of the "T" goes nowhere (goes to the bottom of the valve). No part of the "T" connects to the upper port (the water heater). With both valves In this rotated position, you are open through the bypass and both water heater connections (inlet and outlet) are blocked.

COURTCOP

The two valves at your heater are combination passthrough/bypass valves. In the position shown in the photo, the valve plug is open between the upper and left ports, while the right port (to the bypass hose) is blocked.

When you turn both valves CCW a quarter turn (90 deg), the valve plug is open between the right and left ports, while the upper port is blocked.

It's a bit difficult to explain in words: (1) Looking down onto the top valve (hot water side) from the handle end, picture a "T" shaped cavity in the valve plug. In the position shown the two arms of the "T" are oriented vertically, with one arm at the upper port and the other arm reaching out to the bottom of the valve body. The leg of the "T" goes to the left, connecting to the left port. So one arm and the leg of the "T" tie together the upper port and left port, while the other arm of the "T" goes nowhere. (2) Now visualize that "T" being rotated CCW by 90 degrees. The two arms of the "T" tie together the left port and right port, while the leg of the "T" goes nowhere (goes to the bottom of the valve). No part of the "T" connects to the upper port (the water heater). With both valves In this rotated position, you are open through the bypass and both water heater connections (inlet and outlet) are blocked.

Hey Berky. Thank you so much for your time and effort to explain this to me. I think I understand but I also believe I will have to go out today and start turning valves as I pump water into the system as if I am pumping antifreeze into the system and leave my plug out of my hot water heater and then I will know when the heater is bypassed. Make sense? Thank you so much for the explanation and your knowledgeable expertise. Have a good day my friend !!!!