2021 - Goshen Rally - Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Below is the rally entertainment plan thus far. Items marked as CONFIRMED are good to go. Items marked TBD are still being considered and/or worked on.

This said, we will be subject to the mandates of the State of Indiana, Elkhart County and Thor Industries. I expect mandates of all 3 entities to be in lock-step. Hoping for the best that the "show will go on".

[RETURN TO RALLY INDEX]

Thursday June 17th, 2021 - TBD (still working on it)
- Diner themed meal
- Sock Hop themed entertainment

Dinner: Have a caterer provide hamburgers and fries in baskets, serve malts (similar to what Garry H did in Pueblo in 2019 for those that were there)
Entertainment: Hire a DJ to play 50's / 60's sock-hop / diner classics. Maybe have the room decorated in this theme
Other: maybe have a dance contest, poodle skirts, slick hair (who has hair :)

Saturday June 19th, 2021 - CONFIRMED!
Blue Gate Performing Arts Center - 760 S Van Buren Street, Shipshewana, IN 46565 - Google Map Link
- Full Amish Dinner Buffet (in Conference Room at the Conference Center)
- Rat Pack Is Back entertainment (in the Blue gate Performing Arts Center at the Conference Center)

5:30 pm Dinner: The Blue Gate Restaurant will be catering their Full Amish Buffet (and pies!) at the nearby Conference Center (address above)
7:30 pm Entertainment: At our request, the Blue Gate has hired for public performance, Rat Pack Is Back. The performance will be in Performing Arts Center adjacent to where our meal is (doors will open for us around 6:30 pm)
Other: TBD - maybe something in dining area between meal time and entertainment time
Transportation: Planning for personal caravans (you take your neighbors in your truck) to meat at venue just prior to dinner

Bluegate Ad for Amish Buffet and Rat Pack - 06.19.21 - c.jpg

[RETURN TO RALLY INDEX]

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I really enjoyed Rik Roberts, the comedian that impersonated Barney Fife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like you’re on track Jim. A little worried about the slicked back hair though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We hope and pray the state of COVID is much better this June.
Planning wise in this mess, is extremely difficult, but plan for the worst, and hope for the best.
You always do an extremely great job, and whatever you figure out is fine with Marlene and I.

Hockster

jbeletti

Erika, Gus, Ann and Gary - thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated.

Looking for more people to give me input. It's okay if you don't care for the plan. When letting me know this, please give me your ideas on what would resonate with you. Thanks :)

clayhud

Really like the idea of Burgers, Fries, Malts.....those are usually a hit with most all.

The Amish catering is another good idea. We enjoy eating Amish foods and would not feel comfortable in their home as you mentioned they pack you in! At least your team would be in control of how many at each table, etc.

Entertainment sounds good on both nights.

Looking forward to Goshen.

Thanks,

CDN

B and B
Amish or Mennonite is my diet, not far from the horse and buggy in my family. Entertainment with the Band was pretty good last Rally.

PALTeam

Past Indiana Chapter Leaders
The PALTeam convened and considered your proposal. We agree that:

Meeting at Amish homes is not a good idea. Better safe than ...

We like your plans for Thursday, like 'em a lot! I can wear my dark clothes and shoes with white socks.

We like your plan for Saturday as well, but are wondering why we'd go to Shipshe as opposed to staying in Goshen? Not a big deal, just wondering. Is it because the facility we use at Elkhart Cty. Fairgrounds is long and narrow, making it difficult for all to actually see the stage and for setting up comm, sound, etc?

Is it the Blue Gate Garden Inn and Conf. Ctr you're considering?

Thanks for all you do. The vast majority appreciate it!

jbeletti

The PALTeam convened and considered your proposal. We agree that:

Meeting at Amish homes is not a good idea. Better safe than ...

We like your plans for Thursday, like 'em a lot! I can wear my dark clothes and shoes with white socks.

We like your plan for Saturday as well, but are wondering why we'd go to Shipshe as opposed to staying in Goshen? Not a big deal, just wondering. Is it because the facility we use at Elkhart Cty. Fairgrounds is long and narrow, making it difficult for all to actually see the stage and for setting up comm, sound, etc?

Is it the Blue Gate Garden Inn and Conf. Ctr you're considering?

Thanks for all you do. The vast majority appreciate it!

Hey PAL Team!

Technically, the Bluegate could cater their Amish Buffet in the ECCC building at the Fairgrounds. That night is sort of our big night - the rally finale and it's usually paired with headliner entertainment. Live entertainment, especially anything musical, is difficult to sound-image in the ECCC building. These were my considerations when asking Bluegate if they could meet my objectives. And when they found a Rat Pack group like I wanted, it really needed to be at the Bluegate Conference Center Theater as they would need to make it a public performance based on what it costs to bring acts like this in. We would get a block of premium seating.

This all said - it's not a done deal. I'm still soliciting feedback from those who are considering attending the rally, I'm waiting to hear back from Heartland Corp on their thoughts of me taking our big night "off-site" and Bluegate is trying to workout booking details with the Rat Pack artists. Hoping for the best on all of this :)

PALTeam

Lots of moving parts, hope they work out.

We've enjoyed every NAHR, but the ECCC was tough for the big events. The AV folks did well considering the size/shape of the room, but it felt like not everyone could fully participate/view/enjoy.

Again, thanks for all the skull sweat you put in to the NAHR!

jbeletti

Lots of moving parts, hope they work out.

We've enjoyed every NAHR, but the ECCC was tough for the big events. The AV folks did well considering the size/shape of the room, but it felt like not everyone could fully participate/view/enjoy.

Again, thanks for all the skull sweat you put in to the NAHR!

Hi Lyle (guessing) - Yeah, the ECC is tricky for entertainment that you're trying to see and hear. We do our best with the space, but a larger venue or theater is best for entertainment. Just wish the 4H Fairgrounds could fund their future plans now.

Also - just saw your PM from 3-Jan. Been talking with Ken, need to talk to Blake too I guess. Should be a worthy seminar - thanks!

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Jim, Sock hop sounds like fun. We really enjoy going to the Amish home for a meal, and hopefully this covid thing will be pretty much history by June, but understand the precaution. Also, Blue Gate for final meal sounds like it will be fun. Like the idea of Rat Pack style entertainment. Carol and I are sure whatever you come up with will be awesome, just as it always is.

jbeletti

Post # 1 of this thread has been updated.

The gist of the update is: On Saturday, June 19th, a Full Amish Buffet Dinner followed by Rat Pack is Back performance is all set - contracts in place. This will be held in Shipshewana at the Blue Gate Conference and Performing Arts Center - caravan with our own trucks. See the flyer in post #1.

The caveat for this evening, all rally items and really, the rally itself is: We will be subject to the mandates of the State of Indiana, Elkhart County and Thor Industries. I expect mandates of all 3 entities to be in lock-step. Hoping for the best that the "show will go on".

PALTeam

Congrats, Jim, on getting initial initial moving parts assembled! Fingers/toes crossed and praying COVID, State, County, City and Thor fit into place as well.

Switching metaphors, it's like conducting an orchestra, eh?

Lyle

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
it all sounds good to us. The off site entertainment is a great idea. Never cared for the facility at the park for entertainment

jbeletti

it all sounds good to us. The off site entertainment is a great idea. Never cared for the facility at the park for entertainment
I agree with you, the ECCC building is not ideal for entertainment when we fill the place up. We've made do with it for many years, so this departure for our big night will be a refreshing change.

A downside is that attendees will need to caravan "on-their-own". Not a big deal to most but some may not care for it. I wish buses didn't cost $800 each and we'd need 6 to 9 of them.

See you and Debbie at the rally!

Status
Not open for further replies.