30amp/ 50 amp hook up

Bones

You know I think we may have accidentally confused the OP even more. Here are a few articles I found.

RV Electrical

RV forum

Can I hook up 30 amps to a 50 amp plug

The general consensus is that you can plug a lower amperage device into a higher amperage plug. Your rig is going to pull only what it can pull. It was designed to pull 30 amps so that is what it is going to pull. Your cord was designed for your 30 amp rig so that is what it is going to hold.

A company sells dog bones. CAMCO here is the specific one you are asking about. 50amp to 30amp

Although I know what the one person on here is saying about the power cord possibly frying due to a short. I have this to say. If you have a short in your main supply wire wither it be a 50 amp supply or a 30 amp supply, no mater what current breaker you are plugged into is going to be a bad situation no matter and cause a significant amount of damage.

Last edited:

Bones

All this electrical stuff is very interesting and a little scary. Is it safe to plug a 50A cord into any 220v receptacle? Is there something I should check to make sure it will work for my trailer? A potential spot I am looking at to stay for a few weeks has a 220V receptacle but it is on a double 100A circuit breaker. Is it safe to use?

you can not plug your camper into a normal 220 volt household plug. You need to have the neutral wire. a 3 wire set up with ground which is 4 wires. Your camper runs on 120 volt power. Do you have any electricians available that can give you a power drop for RV's?

dlw930

Plugging a 50A RV cord into a normal 220V receptacle is not possible without modification since the 220V receptacle will have only 3 female sockets (2 for hot wires and 1 for ground) while the male end of the RV cord will have 4 prongs (2 for hot wires, 1 for neutral wire and 1 for ground). If an 50A RV receptacle is improperly wired into a normal 3 wire 220V circuit, plugging the RV cord into the receptacle will immediately fry the convertor, likely soon followed by damage to TV's, AC units, microwave, etc. This happened to a friend just the other day. Luckily, only the converter was damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

There are several types of 50 amp 240V receptacles. One type is used for RVs and is also commonly used in other applications. If you'd like to review the various types of receptacles, take a look in this folder for explanations with pictures.

If you have a 30 amp trailer, the main scenario where plugging into a 240V receptacle fries your equipment happens when someone installs a 30 amp, 3 pin receptacle for your trailer, but erroneously wires it for 240V instead of 120V.

For anyone having an electrician install a 30 amp receptacle for your trailer, don't count on them getting it right. Most every electrician working in residences has installed 30 amp 3 pin 240V outlets for dryers and such. Not that many have installed outlets for RVs. There have been more than a few posts where they got it wrong.

Gaffer

There are several types of 50 amp 240V receptacles. One type is used for RVs and is also commonly used in other applications. If you'd like to review the various types of receptacles, take a look in this folder for explanations with pictures.

If you have a 30 amp trailer, the main scenario where plugging into a 240V receptacle fries your equipment happens when someone installs a 30 amp, 3 pin receptacle for your trailer, but erroneously wires it for 240V instead of 120V.

For anyone having an electrician install a 30 amp receptacle for your trailer, don't count on them getting it right. Most every electrician working in residences has installed 30 amp 3 pin 240V outlets for dryers and such. Not that many have installed outlets for RVs. There have been more than a few posts where they got it wrong.
Good reason to hire a qualified Union (IBEW) eletrician.

macjj

One point I failed to se mentioned here is Circuit breakers are designed to protect the wiring (AWG) not the terminal equipment. As circuit breakers are slow reacting, Load protection is installed to protect the appliances from surges. That said your 30 main in the trailer will protect your trailer, but won't protect the cable connected to the source. Load protection (aka surge protection) will protect your appliances. Putting it simple, if you used a 15 amp extension cord on a 20 amp source to your coach, and tried to run your AC (drawing 19 amps), you may not trip a breaker, but you will cook your cord

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Our electrician wired our 30amp wrong. Didn't have an EMS back then, and fried the converter, microwave, and fridge on our North Trail. He thankfully came back and rewired for free and offered to pay for damages.

Mattman

I was washing my camper today and happened to notice this on the side of my camper. Just wanted to share that. So at this point I see companies have cleared the liability if you plug into a 50 amp feed. I also noted the panel inside my camper is only rated for 30 amps. Over current protection comes from the devices ahead. Not down stream. Up stream. So the panel it's self is protected by 50amps at the pedistal. This is the same thing as putting a 50 amp breaker in your main panel in the house. Using #10 wire to feed a sub panel. Back feeding a 30amp breaker. The inspector will shoot it down every time, and no sensible electrician would wire it that way. If something should catch fire the electrician can legally be held accountable.

So I am not trying to make enemies on this topic. I get why people do it. I see it's been debated on other forums. In the real world the odds of something happening are very slim. We bought campers to go places and see things. Power should be easy and convenient. But your ladder says never stand on the top 2 rungs. I have never done this in my life..... I am sure no one else ever has either. But as an electrician I can't recommend anyone to do this. But I totally get why you do. I have looked all over for a fused 50-30 adapter. No one makes one. Why? Cause who will honestly pay the extra cost for it.
So hope I didn't make anyone mad at me here debating this. It's in my blood. Can't help it. They say the two most debated books in the world are the Bible and the National Electric code. I am into both and love to debate.

I wish you all safe travels and happy camping. Peace!
-Matt

Attachments

• IMG_20170423_181857484_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170423_181857484_HDR.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20170423_182434033.jpg
    IMG_20170423_182434033.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 58

fritzwell

Matt,
Your as correct today as you were in January. Don't ever shy away from attempting to save someone from a whole lotta grief.

Fritzwell

avvidclif

I was washing my camper today and happened to notice this on the side of my camper. Just wanted to share that. So at this point I see companies have cleared the liability if you plug into a 50 amp feed. I also noted the panel inside my camper is only rated for 30 amps. Over current protection comes from the devices ahead. Not down stream. Up stream. So the panel it's self is protected by 50amps at the pedistal. This is the same thing as putting a 50 amp breaker in your main panel in the house. Using #10 wire to feed a sub panel. Back feeding a 30amp breaker. The inspector will shoot it down every time, and no sensible electrician would wire it that way. If something should catch fire the electrician can legally be held accountable.

So I am not trying to make enemies on this topic. I get why people do it. I see it's been debated on other forums. In the real world the odds of something happening are very slim. We bought campers to go places and see things. Power should be easy and convenient. But your ladder says never stand on the top 2 rungs. I have never done this in my life..... I am sure no one else ever has either. But as an electrician I can't recommend anyone to do this. But I totally get why you do. I have looked all over for a fused 50-30 adapter. No one makes one. Why? Cause who will honestly pay the extra cost for it.
So hope I didn't make anyone mad at me here debating this. It's in my blood. Can't help it. They say the two most debated books in the world are the Bible and the National Electric code. I am into both and love to debate.

I wish you all safe travels and happy camping. Peace!
-Matt

Did you even find a 50-30A adapter. I've never seen one. I do have a 30-50 for when I have the 50A cord and only 30A service. I've seen a lot of campgrounds that don't have 50A service but all I've seen have 30. Why would you plug into a 50A plug and adapt to a 30A when the 30A is right beside the 50???? COnfused.

TravelTiger

Did you even find a 50-30A adapter. I've never seen one. I do have a 30-50 for when I have the 50A cord and only 30A service. I've seen a lot of campgrounds that don't have 50A service but all I've seen have 30. Why would you plug into a 50A plug and adapt to a 30A when the 30A is right beside the 50???? COnfused.

My next door neighbor has a travel trailer, she is plugged into the 50 with a dog bone to 30. I don't know why.

Mattman

I found a spot at a county park we want to go to. They only listed 50amp plug on line for hook up. I emailed them and they stated it was only a 50amp and they had a transformer I can borrow. So no 30amp plug and they called it a transformer. I guess I should ask them if it's 480v and thats why I would need a transformer. Any way I assumed they meant one of those adapters. It has the 50 male end, and a 30 female. Camco and others make them.
We want to stay there on the water side, so looks like i will be stopping by the supply house and making my own adapter. 50male, an over current device, then a 30amp female plug. It won't be pretty, but it will be functional.

TravelTiger

Good reason to hire a qualified Union (IBEW) eletrician.

Certified Electrician wired our 30amp wrong--- fried the converter, fridge and microwave. (This was pre-EMS ownership!) They ultimately paid to replace these items.

porthole

Retired
Certified Electrician wired our 30amp wrong--- fried the converter, fridge and microwave. (This was pre-EMS ownership!) They ultimately paid to replace these items.

I work part time for a an electrical contractor. He knew how to wire a Rv correctly. Probably because he was an RV'er as well.

- - - Updated - - -

If you burn your camper down because you plugged into a 50. Guess what your inauranse company will say??

The insurance company will probably say "the adjuster will be out in a few days."

- - - Updated - - -

What about all the wiring between The main breaker and the pedistal? A system is only as good as it's weakest point. The 30 amp rated outlet on the side of the camper. There for exceeding more than 30amps on the over current device is a violation of the NEC. Exceeding more than 30amps on your 10/3 cord running the pedistal is a NEC violation. If it's 8/3 you have 40. Assuming your not over 86 degrees F. I just checked my code book. Do what ever you want. I'm stating it is a violation to code. Go ask an engineer.

The NEC police have never inspected campers at a campground. :cool:

On a flip side, last year we were at a 30 amp only campground, with no main panels in sight. There is no doubt many of us were puling more then 30 amps at any given time.