3185 Weight/Balance question

lmmsdca

Hi all,
My DH and I plan on selling our house next spring and purchasing a 5th wheel to go on the road fulltime. We are really liking the 3185RL but I have a concern that it might not be well balanced.

It seems as though all of the heaviest interior features (TV, fireplace, fridge, stove, microwave) and most of the interior storage (entertainment, kitchen, closet, dresser) are located on the street-side of the rig. Comparatively, not much storage space is on the sidewalk side of the rig. I am concerned about weight issues and general wear and tear issues that may be caused by this seeming imbalance (one side of the rig fully loaded being heavier than the other side).

Have those who own 3185RL floorplans noticed any issues in regards to this?

Thanks for your input!
Lisa

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Hello Lisa!

I don't have any answers for you but I am curious reading the title of your thread "weight and balance question" Are you by chance a pilot?:)

There is bound to be some difference in side weights The only way to really know is to weight the rig at a CAT scale or some place similar. I doubt you could make the weight difference so extreme it would exceed ratings. Also be sure to tow level to help the weight distribution of the two axles.

Best wishes!

lmmsdca

Hi SJH!

Nope, not a pilot...I had a hard time trying to figure out the best way to summarize my question though when naming this post!

Glad to know it would be hard to make a drastic enough weight difference that would hurt things. Thanks for the input!

Lisa

SmokeyBare

Some Folks have decided to go with a Suspension change. One choice of the several out on the market is TrailAir's Center Point Suspension System. TrailAir uses air bags, one on each side of the RV, to assist the Equalizer part of the suspension where the two spring ends come together.

When they have a RV that is much heavier on one side compared to the other side. Such as RVs with 3 slide rooms on the road side and only 2 on the Curb side. They then use two inflation ports, one controlling each bag, so the pressure on each side of the RV can be set at a different PSI. This helps ensure the RV is setting level side to side. Those RV who's weight is much closer to being even from side to side have only one fill port which is split to each fill each air bag.

Marv

lmmsdca

Thanks SmokeyBare. It's good to know there are products out there to help if this becomes a problem. I still don't know if my love of the floorplan justifies the potential issues we may encounter. Good thing we aren't quite ready to purchase just yet!

musicman

We have the BH 3185 RL and we have had no issues whatsoever with weight and balance. We have the single door fridge with the ice maker and we keep it full all the time. We leave the rv set up at home all the time and always plugged in with all the slides out. We just love it.