3612 tow vehicle?

lwmcguir

We have several F250-F550 trucks and the latest one in the fleet is a SRW F350 6.7. It is the best all around truck we have ever had and handles heavy loads easily with great handling. Got the SRW due to multiple uses for the truck and have the 20 inch wheels/tires. Plenty of margin for the toy haulers loaded up. I think you can make any of the trucks work if properly equipped from the factory for the load you want to tow/haul and some after market items can help as well.

It is going to cost money to do it right no matter what truck you get. As noted there will be some bargains out there as the new Ford Diesel is going to catch on. We have used ours down to -14F and it starts like a dream setting in a parking lot. (don't like to do that and would have plugged it in at home) Fuel economy is the best of any of the Ford Diesel we have ever owned and it is much quieter. Almost as quiet as a gas rig. If you haven't drove one get out and try them. If you buy one be sure to get the Mirror options, that alone is worth trading up.

gpshemi

I agree with trvlrerik//heartlandowners.org/member.php/4956-trvlrerik. My SRW works fine for my travels, and it's my daily driver, but considering your use and driving conditions, I'd opt for a DRW in a F350 (well 3500 personally, but whatever). You don't need a F450 for it.

My son has a 2008 Ram and he has all kinds of problem with the regeneration and been at the dealer numerous times. His friend has the 5.9L and its a solid engine but both have front end issues of death wables.

There are known fixes for the "death wobbles". Check the Dodge forums. There's a recall for new front end parts that help, there's steering box braces, and stay away from BFG tires especially in D range. That will cure it.

Kurt

Kurt&Gwen
Welcome!

To answer your question, no.

With the 3612, you shouldn't use anything less than a 1 ton diesel. On the F250, you'll be putting a strain on the rear suspension and overheat the V-10 on steep grades (5*+) and warm days. Not to mention, the V-10 is horrible on gas. IMO, towing anything over 13k with a V-10 is pushing it.

IMO, stay away from the 2008-2010 fords. If you're wanting new, the 2011 F350 SRW with 4:11 gears and 4x4 is your best bet for all terrain and weather. A dually is good for cab-over campers and extremely heavy payloads.*

If you want to save some money, look into an 06 or 07 with the above specs. Then upgrade to the ARP head studs, EGR delete or Bulletproof EGR, 4" turbo back exhaust, FS2500 bypass filter, Edge evolution programer, Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant*and Amsoil fluids.

We own a 3612 HD and towed it from Spokane Wa*to Anchorage Ak last summer with a 2006 F350 SRW diesel. I pushed the truck to it's limits as far as towing goes to see if the truck could safely handle the tow the new rig. The only problem we had was going up a 10* plus grade in Canada (for about 30 mins) which limited our speed to 40 mph and push the heat limit of the engine oil and coolant well beyond factory specs. Since I use synthetics and Evans NPG+ Waterless Coolant, no harm was done.

With options, our 3612 dry weight is approximately 15k. Add 1,306.8k for water, fuel and propane, (835 lbs water/218 lbs fuel/253.8 Lbs propane) and it's around 16,303.8k. That only leaves approximately 1,696.2k before we max out our trailer weight. On flat surfaces and grades up to 6*, piece of cake. Add more weight and increase the grades, your truck will be working harder. Look at these numbers and ask yourself this question, do I really want to tow 16-18k with a V-10?

I hope this helps and sorry to overload you with details. Just want folks to be safe and have a great RV experience.

ElkStalker

Re: 3612 tow vechile?

I had a 06 2500 quad cab short box dodge with exhaust brake and edge chip and it was great pulling and stoping my 32 ft wildcat. Anytime I leave town I am going over a pass here in Montana and I could pass and accelerate if I wanted to. With that said I had some precious cargo in the cab with me. I got tired of being kicked in the back and I was able to move into a 07 DRW 3500 mega cab with the 5.9 cummins. Here in MT it seems like I am either pulling in the mountains or in a crosswind. I feel so much better and relaxed with the DRW's. My truck is my daily driver and not as fun as my old truck and it is really bad on snow! That's life, we all have to make choice.

I had some factory work do on the WildCat and they towed it all the way back to IN. The guy that picked it up had a 06 dodge DRW 3500 with 500,000 miles on it and the only thing he did to the truck was exhaust and intake. Auto transmission and nothing ever done to it. Thats impressive.

I would look for 07 quad cab DRW with the 5.9 and have a pacbrake installed or agree with others here about the 2011 Ford 350 (did I just say that?)