3950 Roof - Is this "normal"?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a little food for thought.
Model building codes typically use the phrase “wood structural panel” to describe the use of plywood and osb. Codes recognize these two materials as the same. Likewise, APA the Engineered Wood Association, the agency responsible for approving more than 75% of the structural panels used in residential construction, treat osb and plywood as equals in their published performance guidelines. And wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent.
A bumper crop of news stories highlighting contractor ripoffs has left consumers reeling. Reports indicate that some homeowners worry about builders “cheaping out” when they use osb. Customers become suspicious that builders are trying to put something over on them: charging for an expensive product like plywood and substituting it with something cheap, like osb. When it comes to structural integrity, cost is less of an issue among consumers than structural performance.
“It looks like a bunch of junk pounded together.”, is how one homeowner described osb to me. Another homeowner asked, ” What the **** is going on? Aren’t there any more trees?” Public perception is that we are getting stuck with scraps. The uninitiated don’t appreciate the high-level of science and technology used to produce engineered wood products. They think that “glued-together” is not as good as “nailed-together”. And oddly, plywood is perceived as solid wood to a lay person.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I think many people associate OSB with particle board of years ago.

I have "Advantec" sheathing in my motorcycle trailer. Supposedly it has a 50 year warranty as a roof sheathing.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Model building codes typically use the phrase “wood structural panel” to describe the use of plywood and osb. Codes recognize these two materials as the same. Likewise, APA the Engineered Wood Association, the agency responsible for approving more than 75% of the structural panels used in residential construction, treat osb and plywood as equals in their published performance guidelines. And wood scientists agree that the structural performance of osb and plywood are equivalent.
A bumper crop of news stories highlighting contractor ripoffs has left consumers reeling. Reports indicate that some homeowners worry about builders “cheaping out” when they use osb. Customers become suspicious that builders are trying to put something over on them: charging for an expensive product like plywood and substituting it with something cheap, like osb. When it comes to structural integrity, cost is less of an issue among consumers than structural performance.
“It looks like a bunch of junk pounded together.”, is how one homeowner described osb to me. Another homeowner asked, ” What the **** is going on? Aren’t there any more trees?” Public perception is that we are getting stuck with scraps. The uninitiated don’t appreciate the high-level of science and technology used to produce engineered wood products. They think that “glued-together” is not as good as “nailed-together”. And oddly, plywood is perceived as solid wood to a lay person.

Peace
Dave
Dave, You are so right about the publics perception of OSB. It takes a little education on any builders part toward the client before they realize the advantages of OSB. Even thought the IRC comsiders it equal to plywood, it is in fact superior.
While local codes change depending where you are located the IRC recognizes the strenght of 7/16" OSB to be equivalant to 1/2" plywood. Here in the south, that is what we use for roof sheathing. We do not have to contend with the same snow loads as you northerns.

Another advantge is weight by several lbs. per sheet. The plys cannot seperate because there are none and it is unilaterally strong.
You can get in any nominal size that plywood comes in and T & G.

I have seen it used in residential sub floors. I am not ready to do that yet though. I will stick with Advantech for that.

Of course it does not perform well if exposed to the weather, however they do make an exterior OSB and a marine version. I really I am not sure what is in our trailers.

Last edited:

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!

Peace
Dave

OK, good points but this is from a home framers perspective and let's not forget that a home does not bounce down the road at 65 MPH!!! OSB is not the same as plywood, if that was the case, than Heartland would have used OSB as the floor in the garage. For those of you "uninitiated" with hauling cargo and $$ bikes in the garage, my vote goes with plywood for the simple reason that it has been proven for years.

In the case of the roof sheathing, this new OSB technology may very well be better and lighter but it should be disclosed in Heartland's literature as such. I thought mine was built with plywood........lesson learned.

bill40

We would like to help you with your concerns. Please contact our customer service at 877-262-8032 and we will go over any concerns that you may have. Take care, Mike
This request was back on 2/15/10 and we are still talking about plywood vs obs seven months later. How did the call work out and what caused the problem. Maybe I'm just being too nosey.

Chesse

Mine is in the shop right now with the plywood in the affected area being replaced and new rubber roof put on. I should have it in a few weeks.

Clark

bradb

My 3914 is sagging too. You can see it on the inside.Waiting to hear from the dealer about repairs. Is anyone else's visible from the inside?

davelinde

Wow...coulda drove it to the factory in that kinda time...

Just checked in and wondered what happened too? In our case the repair also took a very long time (dealer issue not HL issue) and we inquired about driving it to the factory. At that time the factory was not set up to do repair.

In our case btw we were told this was an assembly defect and not a materials defect... although come to think of it I believe the dealer did say they replace some sheathing. The good news is mine was fixed under warranty and is fine now.

bradb

I just received my 3914 back from Heartland and they did a great job replacing my sagging roof! They replaced the whole roof, looks brand new. I am so happy I chose a Cyclone. Great Warranty and customer service!

extman

Re. roof problems
I also have the same problem with my 09 4012. I could see a dip on the inside of the cabin that didnt look right so i got up on the roof for a closer look, the roof has dipped about 2.5 inches in two different spots. this should not happen even if it is osb or plywood. my old trailer was a 2000 terry and when i sold it in 2008 the roof still looked like new. Iam thinking this must be a structural issue with the support ribs? I am past my one year warranty but contacted heartland anyway. I am going to send them pics next week. no one has ever been on the roof since i purchased it until now. I hope heartland will help fix this problem as i think it will be very expensive.