4 bolt vs 10 bolt reese rails for my reese hitch

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Not sure what you are asking here. My Reese hitch connects to the rails with four pins. Each rail is bolted to the truck frame with six bolts. Where does the 10 come into play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KFPD404

The rails there self are bolted to your bed with five bolts for each rail hence the 10 bolt system . They also offer a rail that bolts with two larger bolts . when searching the reese site to purchase my new rails for my new gmc pickup it tells me to use the 4 bolt rails but as a option you can use the 10 bolt rails I am just not sure the ones to order . On a few other sites this same question has been asked but it hasn't gotten a answer

JanAndBill

I just received the new rail kit for our new truck. After seeing the rails ripped out of a friends truck when they had wreck last year, I went with the 10 bolt rail, and would highly recommend it to any one else. The four bolt uses 4 separate angle clips bolted to the frame. The 10 bolt uses 2 solid plates bolted to the frame. 10 bolt is the top image. 4 bolt is the bottom.
41HRpwe9RFL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
30095-sml-01.jpg

KFPD404

The one I am getting is the 50066 custom mounts for my truck
not the angle iron universal kit but I just cant figure out why on the reese site they push you to get the 4 bolt rails .

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have the 10 bolt system but only four on each rail actually bolt to the frame/frame attachments. The rest would just go thru the bed and not provide much additional support. I did put two bolts into the bed at the center of the rail.

MCTalley

I just received the new rail kit for our new truck. After seeing the rails ripped out of a friends truck when they had wreck last year, I went with the 10 bolt rail, and would highly recommend it to any one else. The four bolt uses 4 separate angle clips bolted to the frame. The 10 bolt uses 2 solid plates bolted to the frame. 10 bolt is the top image. 4 bolt is the bottom.
View attachment 43181
View attachment 43180

You're referring to ours, I'm sure. Ours were the top ones shown in your pictures - the "10 bolt" ones. Eight of the ten bolts go through the frame-mounted pieces. The other two are through the metal bed with nothing more than probably a washer or two to spread out the load.

For the OP, here's what our 10-bolt hitch rail system did when we t-boned a minivan at about 40 mph:

i-X5nkZ4H-M.jpg

i-qgXTcdZ-M.jpg

i-fSn8R6z-M.jpg

Here's the end result:

i-2ZtLcsP-M.jpg

Not trying to scare you away from the Reese mounting system at all. If anything, I'd recommend the 10 bolt system over the four bolt system for reasons such as this.

Fortunately, our fifth wheels have a lot of metal in the lower front that worked to prevent the trailer from going any further forward. Also, our trailer is currently in the shop being repaired (Lippert) and according to them, it is an easy fix (total estimate, minus a new pinbox, was under $4k).

There's another recent crash thread on here where the top plate of the hitch broke loose from the frame and sent the trailer down the road by itself. Every crash has many potential outcomes. If our hitch had stayed solid in the bed, there probably would have been a different result - possibly worse, probably no better.

At any rate, go with the 10-bolt and make sure they use the recommended bolts (Grade 8?). The correct bolts should come with the kit.

Edited to add: This was an almost new Reese 20K hitch and the trailer was right about 16K. The mounting system is rated to 24K.

JanAndBill

LOL yes Malcolm, I was, but I apparently assumed you had the 4 bolt. I can't imagine what might have happened if you hadn't had the 10 bolt. While I really hate you guys had to go through this, the observations i gleaned from the many pictures you posted answered a lot of concerns I had on towing a 5th wheel. I plan on installing my own rail kit and possibly make a few modifications to beef up the underside.

KFPD404

Do you have a newer truck with the puck system? If so I would recommend using that.

I ordered a 2016 GMC 3500 Denali it didn't have the option for the fifth wheel system yet . You can add it but dealer said it wont price out yet gm is running a little behind.

Bones

I ordered a 2016 GMC 3500 Denali it didn't have the option for the fifth wheel system yet . You can add it but dealer said it wont price out yet gm is running a little behind.
Ahhh, I see. I would recommend adding an under bed puck mounting system from Reese.