4 point level system, piston will not retract

DougS

Doug S
Just tried to retract my rear leveling system and the curb side piston will not retract, but extends with slight pressure. I called Lipperd customer support and they said it sounded like O ring is bypassing. I tried to jack unit with a bottle jack, but piston keeps coming down to a point where fluid is now bypassing and covering the shinny shaft. When I lower the bottle jack slightly to put pressure on piston, fluid stops and retracts slightly about 1/4 inch.
I am not sure, but if I jack too high, will piston blow past seal? Any ideas how to relieve pressure so I can get assembly off unit? I am going through Lippert manuals on there site, but thought some else may have gone through this problem.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

danemayer

Maybe the valve is not opening electrically. If you can open it manually maybe it'll retract. Then close it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Doug, the piston will not come out of the cylinder unless you remove the cap off the bottom of the cylinder.

If you blew the packing there is no fix other than repack the cylinder. (orings and dust seals).

To retract the piston crack both your hydraulic lines and physically push the piston into the cylinder. . By the time you get the piston up you will have a pretty big mess to deal with on the ground and you might even get air into the system. All that is interconnected with the slides so don't be surprised if the slides retract or extend funny until all the air is out of the system. If air does get into the system, you can bleed it by operating the jacks and slides several times. Just keep an eye on your tank level.

DougS

Doug S
Thanks for replies. I have been in contact with Lippert, and they said relief pressure by turning valve by pump, but there are four lines plus the front landing gear, which one? Just started looking, front jacks I can trace the tubing, but finding which one out of four the four others. I guess if I release pressure in more then one it would not make a difference as long as it is not the front landing gear.
Well with fingers crossed, out I go.

DougS

Doug S
Back in service. Brought the cylinder to a local shop and within 1 day, the cylinder was rebuilt at a cost of $112 plus tax, a far cry from the $525 plus tax plus freight that Lippert wanted. Fluid changed in the system sice it has been 3 years and leveling system worked fine with just a few spirts to get the air purged.