4100 Frame Problems

Wrenched

We have a 2013 Cyclone 4100. It's been back to the factory for frame reinforcement to stop flexing at the front and consequent damage to the cabinets and frame structure.

They installed a pair of support beams along the sides to support the frame.

We've heard creaking when walking across the floor in the living area and last week there was a clanking sound when I put the slideouts in and out.

I pulled the corplast and was surprised to see that the frame crossmember closest to the front axles shows signs of having been flexed back and forth.

The wire supports are buckled in the middle and one is broken (the creaking came from this one I believe).

I thought at first that someone had tried to jack the trailer up on this cross member, but I believe after examining the problem that it looks like the frame flexes back and forth when making tight right and left turns - causing damage to the cross member.

Please look at the posted pictures and tell me what you think.
Our 4100 is 26 months old now and I'm worried we're going to have trouble getting repairs done to this early model 4100 that has strength issues with the frame,....

Has anyone else had issues like this? If so, how did they fix it?

1595.jpg1587.jpg1585.jpg

Bones

We have a 2013 Cyclone 4100. It's been back to the factory for frame reinforcement to stop flexing at the front and consequent damage to the cabinets and frame structure.

They installed a pair of support beams along the sides to support the frame.

We've heard creaking when walking across the floor in the living area and last week there was a clanking sound when I put the slideouts in and out.

I pulled the corplast and was surprised to see that the frame crossmember closest to the front axles shows signs of having been flexed back and forth.

The wire supports are buckled in the middle and one is broken (the creaking came from this one I believe).

I thought at first that someone had tried to jack the trailer up on this cross member, but I believe after examining the problem that it looks like the frame flexes back and forth when making tight right and left turns - causing damage to the cross member.

Please look at the posted pictures and tell me what you think.
Our 4100 is 26 months old now and I'm worried we're going to have trouble getting repairs done to this early model 4100 that has strength issues with the frame,....

Has anyone else had issues like this? If so, how did they fix it?

View attachment 38796View attachment 38797View attachment 38798

First I think that whole cross member needs replacing. Next you need to check where the frame necks down to the I beams the whole section that holds your pin box and check for broken welds. Hopefully some one else chimes in with other suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought is to check the main I-beam where all of you axles mount to make sure they have not flexed the I-beam or have broken it. Your frame flex may happen when you back up and are twisting the tires in and out on your triple axle.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would call HL service and discuss the issue with them. Have your VIN# handly and your pix. Its a Lippert frame and their problem, but HL might be able to get it repaired for you. Just ask nice and work with HL through the process. Draw back is you will probably have to take it the Indiana.

wdk450

Wrenched:
You may want to check out my thread on my Bighorn frame damage and repair, with links to my Google Drive with before and after repair pictures.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48295-Badly-Bent-Frame-A-Trend?

Wrenched

Thanks - I've sent a note to their customer service department with photos - talking to the same people who took care of the frame repair last year.

Wrenched

Thanks Bill - depending on what Heartland/Lippert has to say, I might go with those X Factor cross members from Mor/Ryde - they look like they'd take care of the problem,...

wdk450

Thanks Bill - depending on what Heartland/Lippert has to say, I might go with those X Factor cross members from Mor/Ryde - they look like they'd take care of the problem,...

I personally would rather rely on steel welded in place, rather than telescoping steel pieces held together with bolts.

Wrenched

Well, I worked with Lippert, sent pictures and they told me that it looks like a loading issue and they wouldn't cover it under warranty.
Even though I've never run this trailer at the gross weight.
When I was tying up all the wires, hoses and cables before putting the corplast back on, I found bigger problems.

There are 3 cross members in the axle area that have the support wires.
The first one (in the pictures) has bent wires and one broken one.
The second one (about the middle of the axle set) has bent wires and 3 broken ones.
The third one has bent wires and one of the welds (the lower one on the driver's side at the frame) is broken.

This looks like poor engineering to me.

There is a solid cross member at the back of the axle set - I wish all of the intermediate cross members were made this way - I doubt I would have had this problem.

If Lippert won't help me - what should I do next?

Bones

The burden of proof is on them to actually prove is was overloaded. If your unit was overloaded with weight distributed in the center of your cyclone your frame rail would be bending outward as well as being bent downward which would have bent the cross members outward and down separating them from the frame rails or breaking them all together. This n turn would also have a negative affect on you axles and springs. Your pictures show the cross braces bending upwards and have work hardened some of the structural supports causing them to break. This would mean that somehow your unit is bending upwards and your frame rails are bending inward somewhere in that vicinity of the bent cross-members. If this area is near the axles there is a strong chance your axles are flexing the frame inwards somehow.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have you talked to HL directly or just to Lippert? If not to HL, I would have a conversation with them.

Wrenched

Sorry it’s been so long updating this thread.
I have good news. After sending the new pictures to Lippert showing them the inadequate weld on one of the frame members that had broken, they agreed to repair and upgrade the frame for free if I could bring our 4100 down to the factory.

We did that, and they fixed it up in a little over 3.5 hours.

They installed an axle kit (4 - 2" bars), welded 8" triangular gussets at each corner of the cross members (24 all together). Added an 1-1/2" support bar angling to the top of each cross member as well as adding new bars to the ones supporting the fresh water tank which had broken.

I’m disappointed with all the work they had to do to upgrade the frame so that it will hold up in service. This is the second time the frame has seen work (the front part was done 2 years ago) to stop flexing which was damaging the cabinets in side the trailer.

The gentleman who did the repairs and the welding on our unit assured me that these additions would greatly add to the strength of the frame so I should not have any more issues.

Bones

Hopefully the repairs hold up but I really do wonder why you were having the issues to begin with.