4100 rear level up jacks to low?

Have my mind set on a 4100, But! the rear jacks look like thy will drag the road in a dip, anyone with a 4100 have any input on there experience with this. Thanks

Cjackg

The rear jacks on my 3110 look low enough to be a concern but I have yet to drag them on anything. If you raise them, the spare tire will most likely then be the low point in the back and might disappear !

I am curious if raising the rear Jacks one notch on the base brackets will affect the operation of the LevelUp system...

jayc

Legendary Member
I don't think it will affect the operation of leveling. Probably the worst thing that could happen is that you might have to reset your level. You will run out of stroke if you happen to park in a low spot but that can be overcome by using a block under the leg.

haulinem

Can't answer your concern since we don't have the level up on our 4100. I have considered adding it but I am not convinced the current setup allows the rear legs to extend far enough since they are normally going to be off the end of most campsite drives. Actually, I would like to have the rear legs farther back with the ability to swivel up and lock in place while traveling. This would increase the travel range of the legs when lowered and should eliminate the need for blocking when the legs are too short with the current configuration. After all, one of the advantages of the level up is suppose to be the ease of setup and eliminate the need for blocks.

porthole

Retired
Have my mind set on a 4100, But! the rear jacks look like thy will drag the road in a dip, anyone with a 4100 have any input on there experience with this. Thanks

My LevelUp jacks did hit my driveway when backing in, but we have a steep driveway.

Several things I have done.

Empty or load the garage in the street. Still hits, but not as bad.

Made boards to drive up on at the bottom of the driveway. Pain in the butt, stacked 2X10's, about 10' long.
Made "sliders", basically 12" wide strips of plastic cut from my old fresh water tanks. I let the jacks slide up these.

With the new truck I have an air hitch and air ride. I dump all the air in both, that raises the trailer in the rear to take a lot of the load off the jacks sliding on the plastic.

All of these plans were still more complicated then I wanted to deal with. So I raised the LevelUp jacks one bolt hole. That along with dumping the air solves the problem.

Be advised, if you decide to raise the jacks you have to do all four rear jacks. The 4 jacks work together when "floating" the LevelUp.
If you only raise the rear you can get in the position of the rear jacks bottoming out and the front jacks still extending. Not good for the frame.

I have never had an issue anywhere but my driveway.

Attachments

• D30_4854b.JPG
    D30_4854b.JPG
    371.8 KB · Views: 47
  • F-350_&_Cyclone_July-11_07_b.jpg
    F-350_&_Cyclone_July-11_07_b.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 49
Thanks porthole and everyone, for the reply, Porthole looks like your rear jack is between the rear steeps and tire? if so that location would work for me, the 4100 has the jack mounted half way back we would have to stack wood 12" high to clear. guess I will look at other brands.

porthole

Retired
You can't see it in the picture, but my right side rear jack is behind the steps.

Cyclones change the mount location because of the rear door and the fuel cell. Bit more of a challenge.
But, our's is the 3010, only 35.5' long. The 4100 is considerably longer and the jack could very well be much closer to the tire.

And - you don't have to get LevelUp, although I wouldn't have a trailer anymore with out it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, LevelUp and the electric Ground Control Systems do not eliminate the need (on occasion) for blocks under the jacks. They eliminate the need to haul long pieces of 2x lumber to put under the low side tires. In uneven sites, you may still need to place blocks (or lumber) under the jacks if they can't extend far enough to lift to level.

Ladiver

Just got back last night from a trip in our 3100. All was good until the gas station at the end of the trip. As I was exiting, the spare was "dragged" heavily. I did not leave it in the driveway, but looking at it when I got home, I think it may be toast. And the mounting bracket may have been ruined too. The spare is definitely hanging at an angle, rather than tight up against the frame. I did not remove it and look closely. I saved that for tonight.

So, to answer your question, at least on the 3100, the spare tire will take the drag more times that the level up jacks. I am going to look into better options for steep slopes.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
I moved my spare tire rack forward to help clear my driveway. And when I did that I found the rack was ready to come down on it's own.

1/4" screws in 5/16" holes.

on my 3110 moved the spare forward in front of the rear steps, also moved the rear elec jacks up 3" that required cutting and welding, and added steel wheels to the end of the frame.

Ladiver

on my 3110 moved the spare forward in front of the rear steps, also moved the rear elec jacks up 3" that required cutting and welding, and added steel wheels to the end of the frame.

Please take some pics and post. I would like to add the wheels to the back. I am also planning on relocating the tire. I had not looked at the jacks yet, but if they need to be raised, so be it.

Thanks,

Hippy

You don't have to do such as to un weld weld anything to relocate your spare at least on the 3110. I happen to drop my spare as I turned into a driveway at an angle . Theres an H looking cross bar with the spare real attached. This H cross bar is held onto the frame with 4 nuts and bolts. First drop your spare. Then take those bolts off and the H bar just drops. I then moved the bar as far forward as possible, close to the rear axle ( 2'to 2'1/2) forward. I had to remove the cable real locking system and move it about a 1'1/2 (further back) to the rear because it was in the way of the H bar. I then drilled four holes and re attach the H bar, then the spare. It was perfect. The long rod to crank the spare up and down had sufficient Clearance from the rear steps. It made a big difference. I do sometimes drag left or right rear levels but very little. I looked underneath the rear levels to see if there was sufficient clearance to move them up. There is not, at least on my 5vr.

Ladiver

This will be my weekend project. I may take it one step further and trim up the H bar so it can be mounted to the top of the frame, rather than the bottom, giving me a few more inches. The downside to this is that I also would have to trim up the rod and have to get under the trailer to lower the spare.

Hippy

Yes, you can probably fit the H bar up higher however before you do that make sure your tire is going to seat right on the H bar. I know where I put mine if I went any higher on the H bar the tire wouldn't seat because of all the other obstacles(axle, frame, and the belly which I would have to cut, etc) but yours might be slightly different. Keep me updated.

Sorry, was not clear on the welding part, Hippy. the welding was only on the frame rollers and moving rear electric jacks up. the spare was just unbolt and move. Solved my problem on the 4100 the dealer that I bought my 4100 from is in the proses of moving the rear jacks closer the the rear tire. hope too pick up this weekend.