4K lb springs?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are looking at either replacing (or possibly bending) the rear axle back to original camber on our Prowler.

If we do have to replace the axle I'll probably go to a heavier spring on both axles and probably upgrade the springs.

Plus replace the equalizers with the rubber ones we were shown at the Vegas Rally.

StrongJava

How did it bend?

I'm largely frustrated because I may have ruined another set of 4 Goodyear tires. I really don't want to buy another set, but they have sort of a cove-shaped groove on the inside edge that the first Discount Tire guy I spoke with said shows sidewall weakness.

We are looking at either replacing (or possibly bending) the rear axle back to original camber on our Prowler.

If we do have to replace the axle I'll probably go to a heavier spring on both axles and probably upgrade the springs.

Plus replace the equalizers with the rubber ones we were shown at the Vegas Rally.

jnbhobe

That cove shaped groove on the G-614's seems to be popular, when I run GY tires I used to get them.

- - - Updated - - -

That cove shaped groove on the G-614's seems to be popular, when I run GY tires I used to get them. I got them on the inside and outside edges.

StrongJava

That is EXCELLENT to know. And I assume you didn't have any troubles with that? I personally found the tire guy was being a little alarmist, and so I planned to get a second opinion.

Tim

JohnD

How did it bend?

I'm largely frustrated because I may have ruined another set of 4 Goodyear tires. I really don't want to buy another set, but they have sort of a cove-shaped groove on the inside edge that the first Discount Tire guy I spoke with said shows sidewall weakness.

I know . . . these were a new set of tires as well . . . roughly 5000 miles on them!

As for the axle, not sure why it went flat, which is why the tires are wearing on the inside edge.

Glen from Dexter looked at it at the Vegas Rally and said possible causes are overloading (which we have not done) or from towing it too high in the front.

It is a little high in the front, but not enough to do this kind of damage, however, he said that we don't know how it was towed to the dealership from the factory! :confused:

Here is a shot a couple of hours after we left Vegas (and about 200 miles before we had the tires switched):

ProwlerOnWayHomeFromVegas-IMAG0337.jpg
Click on images to see the whole thing

I don't think the front is high enough to cause the rear axle to flatten out . . . but what do i know? :confused:

I will be taking it to the CAT scales in the next week or so to get each wheel weighed as it may be covered under warranty, but Dexter won't cover it without those numbers.

Here is a shot of the rear axle that I took while it was parked at the Oasis in Vegas:

ProwlerRearAxleFlat-IMAG0323.jpg

We stopped to have the rear tires reversed on the wheels so they would wear down the other edge of the tires, but discovered one of them (right rear in this photo) was bulging and starting to separate, so put the spare on that wheel instead.

The inside edges of the rear tires were almost totally bald when they were swapped.

Bones

I know . . . these were a new set of tires as well . . . roughly 5000 miles on them!

As for the axle, not sure why it went flat, which is why the tires are wearing on the inside edge.

Glen from Dexter looked at it at the Vegas Rally and said possible causes are overloading (which we have not done) or from towing it too high in the front.

It is a little high in the front, but not enough to do this kind of damage, however, he said that we don't know how it was towed to the dealership from the factory! :confused:

Here is a shot a couple of hours after we left Vegas (and about 200 miles before we had the tires switched):

I don't think the front is high enough to cause the rear axle to flatten out . . . but what do i know? :confused:

I will be taking it to the CAT scales in the next week or so to get each wheel weighed as it may be covered under warranty, but Dexter won't cover it without those numbers.

Here is a shot of the rear axle that I took while it was parked at the Oasis in Vegas:

We stopped to have the rear tires reversed on the wheels so they would wear down the other edge of the tires, but discovered one of them (right rear in this photo) was bulging and starting to separate, so put the spare on that wheel instead.

The inside edges of the rear tires were almost totally bald when they were swapped.

If you tow high in the front your weight will transfer to the rear axle and lighten the load on the front a bit.

StrongJava

I think I can see the wear in the tires from here.

A guy I know with a Bighorn had a slight bend in an axle that a trailer shop was able to take out.

From your picture, the Prowler looks a little high in the front, but the angle might be deceiving. Have you measured from the ground to the front and back edges when on the truck?

View attachment 48187

View attachment 48186

JohnD

I think I can see the wear in the tires from here.

A guy I know with a Bighorn had a slight bend in an axle that a trailer shop was able to take out.

From your picture, the Prowler looks a little high in the front, but the angle might be deceiving. Have you measured from the ground to the front and back edges when on the truck?

Yes, I measured it just after I took this photo and the front is 4 1/2 inches higher in the front than the back.

ProwlerMeasure-P1020514.jpg

I have spoken to a trailer axle repair shop and they will be looking at it in a couple of weeks.

They said that if they can bend the rear axle back that they will also have to do the front axle to make sure they are aligned correctly.

I may upgrade the springs to a heavier spring, which could raise the trailer an inch, plus I can get maybe two inches lower in the front by lowering the hitch.

avvidclif

John I see a pattern here. Your last trailer had an axle problem, this one has an axle problem. You said they are not over loaded. Have you weighed them????

JohnD

Our old trailer (Trail Runner) yes . . . completely empty it was 1040 pounds over the rated capacity for the axles from the factory and was purchased that way.

This one . . . no.

But I can assure you we are well under weight (as I said, we've been to that rodeo before).

And, it is only one axle on this trailer . . . not both.

Right now it is looking to be that the hitch and trailer was set up to tow too high in the front.

Although 4 1/2 inches is peanuts compared to some of the high-in-the-front hitch ups I've seen.

I have never towed this with more than half a tank of fresh water and dump the other tanks if they are more than half before leaving a campground.

We haul very little in the back of the Prowler . . . most everything up front in the basement.

jnbhobe

What does that mean? Well that is what happens when you fall asleep at the computer and it take's over and type's whatever it wants to !!!!

avvidclif

Our old trailer (Trail Runner) yes . . . completely empty it was 1040 pounds over the rated capacity for the axles from the factory and was purchased that way.

This one . . . no.

But I can assure you we are well under weight (as I said, we've been to that rodeo before).

And, it is only one axle on this trailer . . . not both.

Right now it is looking to be that the hitch and trailer was set up to tow too high in the front.

Although 4 1/2 inches is peanuts compared to some of the high-in-the-front hitch ups I've seen.

I have never towed this with more than half a tank of fresh water and dump the other tanks if they are more than half before leaving a campground.

We haul very little in the back of the Prowler . . . most everything up front in the basement.

The trip thru the weight scales to satisfy Dexter might prove to be eye-opening.

Oh, take your DW rock collection out she has hidden in the back (Ducking and running) GRIN

JohnD

I may run it over some scales on my days off later this week . . .

However, I don't think we are going to mess around with trying to get it covered under warranty as Dexter will only replace the tube and not the whole axle.

And the labor charges (not covered by warranty) on having the spindles and brake assembly is roughly the same as what it would cost us to just buy a new axle.

And the repair shop has the axle we need already in stock.

However, the axle shop thinks they can bend the axle back into shape.