4x4 Dually or 4x2 Dually?

Jim.Allison

I have used 4X4 in the most unusual circumstances. I pulled off to visit a restaurant on a drizzling day. My on onboard GPS, tried to take me through a street that had long ago been abandoned and had a building built in it. Finally to get back on the main highway without backing up, I had to climb onto the highway from a steep incline. Since it was wet, I could not pull out into traffic even though I have enough pinload to gain traction anywhere, the formerly dusty incline was now covered by mud and presented a hazard when trying to pull out into traffic (no red light). But with 5000 LBS on the front wheels and 6500 on the rear, we made short work out of coming out of that hole. There have been other instances as well.

I like 4X4 on DRW since the have a little traction difficulty on dirt or muddy roads. 4X4 can also smooth out washboard roads often found on county improved dirt roads. And need I mention resale value?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
4x4 for us. I think one has to determine where you plan to travel and in what conditions. We live in snow country and our driveway is about a 6% grade.. If it's snow covered, w/o 4WD you're stuck at the bottom. Even my wife's SUV is AWD. That said I engage 4WD Low to back the BH up into it's parking spot even in dry conditions. If I lived/traveled where it seldom snowed, had a flat lot and only stayed in RV parks with paved roads and concrete pads, I'd probably forgo 4WD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

This is probably the first and foremost reason to own a 4X4. I woul dsay that if you had a dedicated highway truck, always pulling a heavy trailer, then perhaps you would forego the 4X4. But for our purposes, it's a small price to pay for what you will get out of it. You will get the money back on resale. And if you are buying a diesel DRW, you dont need to ask how much the 4X adder is. In the big scheme of things is a small price to pay for the use you will get and how much resale you will get on trade or sell.

A dually actually give you less rear end traction in rain and ice than a standard SRW. It is because it has so much more surface area that is flat on the road. When it rains or there is ice on the road I turn on 4x4 and the truck goes from wanting to spinout to tracking right down the road. When it comes to maintenance and fuel mileage I really do not see a big difference.

olcoon

Dang, they still make trucks in 4x2? I've had a 4x4 truck since 1980, and wouldn't be without one! Of course I hunt & fish, plus we own a patch of trees, rocks & critters in the Missouri Ozarks. Personally I think having a 4x4 & a camper go hand in hand. A few years ago we work camped for a campground between Denver & Colorado Springs - in the foot hills, not the mountains. It had a gravel road & most of the camp sites were on the hill side. The people with 4x4's had no problems getting into the a campsite, but the 4x2's usually couldn't do it. I'll admit, if you are a flatland camper, that follows the fair weather, & never leave pavement, a 4x2 should do you up fine...until there is an issue. Then when you can't move that truck or rig, what happens then, call AAA, or Bubba with the big ol' 4X4.

Owenfamily

Only crazy folks need 4x4. I don't see no need to visit any snow or mud. I enjoy the warmer weather. The only 4x4 I would own is a jeep.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just need it one time and not have it, and then you WILL wish you had it. Once is all it takes. It helps to not mar up the grass in places that might be a little soft also. Will not be without it.

Kosanko

I agree 4X4 is a must on a dually, especially if unloaded or unhooked, giving that you have twice the amount of traction patches in the rear your pounds per square inch are 1/2 of what a SRW is so in snow or icy conditions you have less weight to grip for traction and the rear tires ride higher in snow so 4X4 in needed more on DRW.

Lynn1130

Only crazy folks need 4x4. I don't see no need to visit any snow or mud. I enjoy the warmer weather. The only 4x4 I would own is a jeep.
I would guess that comment is in fun however I live in warm country but sometimes I have to travel over snow covered roads to get back here.

Ever had a two wheel drive, pulling a trailer in snow or ice and had the back end slide out from under you?

I guess if you have good road service coverage you will never need 4WD. Until your cell phone service doesn't work. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 48

ptysonjr

Just sold my 2012 6.7 srw crew 4x2 and ordered 2015 drw crew 4x4. From Texas but love going to Colorado. After last year's ice trip won't chance that again.