50-amp female-2-30-amp-rv-male-plugs-y-adapter

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
We upgraded our summer spot to a beautiful view of the river. Problem is, its an older, 30 amp site and we have a 50a BH3670.

Has anyone used a 50 amp female with two 30 amp male Y adapters like this?

Second question, if I do go with one of these guys (right now, I'm on a straight 50a to 30a adapter), I would plug the second one into a 110v outlet with the adapter (which would be 15amp. Correct?). What kind of trouble am I going to get into there? Can I add the two to think that I'm on 45 amps?

Thanks in advance.

campers2

Depends on how the box is wired. If all the power in the box is fed by the same breaker, it won't work.
A 50a Rv feed is actually 2 -50a out of phase feeds, effectively giving you 100a. I have one of those Y adapters and have never found a site where it would work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
There are separate 30a and 20a breakers IN the box. Not sure about the next step up the stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
If the 15-20 amp outlet is a GFI it will not work. Otherwise how much you get out of it will depend on how the pedestal is wired. But you will get at least the 30amp.

I have a similar adapter to one your posted and have had such limited luck with it that I almost always just stick with the straight 50 --> 30 adapter.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
You can do almost anything but run 2 AC units with 30 amps. At worst you may have to turn off the water heater while the coffee pot, microwave and curling iron are on but 30 amps goes a long ways!

MTPockets

We upgraded our summer spot to a beautiful view of the river. Problem is, its an older, 30 amp site and we have a 50a BH3670.

Has anyone used a 50 amp female with two 30 amp male Y adapters like this?

Second question, if I do go with one of these guys (right now, I'm on a straight 50a to 30a adapter), I would plug the second one into a 110v outlet with the adapter (which would be 15amp. Correct?). What kind of trouble am I going to get into there? Can I add the two to think that I'm on 45 amps?

Thanks in advance.
I would say that if the box has the one 30 amp as well as the 15amp, then yes you will have 45 amp as I would assume the box would be wired to handle it, otherwise why woul they have the 15 amp if it couldn't handle it. All I've seen have separate breakers for the 15 & 30.

danemayer

On the 50amp receptacle, the two 110V lines have opposite phasing. There is a single neutral return that handles the current from both lines. I think the single neutral wire works because of the opposite phasing.

If you run two 30 amp connections that have the same phasing, I think the neutral return will be carrying 60 amps. Not being an electrician, I'm not sure how significant this would be, but I don't think I would do it.

jimtoo

If the 15-20 amp outlet is a GFI it will not work. Otherwise how much you get out of it will depend on how the pedestal is wired. But you will get at least the 30amp.

I have a similar adapter to one your posted and have had such limited luck with it that I almost always just stick with the straight 50 --> 30 adapter.

What Duane said above. I have one and it is one of the early ones and they are not worth the money as far as I'm concerned. I only found 1 or 2 places they would work. I don't even try it any more.

Jim M

olcoon

From what I understood at the seminar at the rally in Urbana, those should not be used, and could cause some damage. Keep in mind, this is what I understood. I was pretty lost during that one as my electrical knowledge consists of "don't stick your finger in that hole"!