5500 Onan Generator will not prime or start -Problem Found

Miltp920

I only start my Onan Generator once or twice a year, just to make sure it will run if I decide I need it. I do however use the fuel tank for the lawn mower. IF I run the gas too low in the gas tank (it is pretty low but not empty) will it prevent the priming light from coming on and will it disable the start toggle switch for the generator? I pressed the prime switch today and it did not come on. I toggled the generator start and nothing happened. Even the run hour meter was blank/dead. I think it usually tells me the run hours on the generator. Any help is appreciated. someone is coming to look at it (as it is for sale) and they may want to hear the generator run, I know I would. Thanks in advance. I'll get the manuals out and see if they can shed any light. I was connected to shore power when I was trying to start the generator, but that is how I did it in history, if I recall correctly.

danemayer

Re: 5500 Onan Generator will not prime or start - no power - Cyclone 3100

I don't know about the priming, but the generator start power comes off the battery. If the battery is depleted, it may turn over on shore power. But if your 12V DC Mini-circuit Breaker is tripped, and the battery could be run down because of that, the generator won't get any power. Look for a row of small breakers connected by a copper buss bar, near the battery. They're usually covered by a red rubber boot. One has a teeny tiny reset button.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 67

Lynn1130

What Dan said and Onan recommends that the generator be run with a load at least every 30 days. Not doing that is not the cause of your lack of power to start but will cause fuel gumming in the carb and even if you get power to it, it primes and cranks it might have some trouble running, if it runs at all.

Miltp920

Thanks for the input.

Sawdocmd

If you don't use the generator often I would look into using a non ethanol pure fuel in the tank during storage or run it completely dry. Normal fuel is only good for thirty days. Vp brand sef fuel is good for up to two yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

In the past I've had to clean carb jets before the gen would start. I forgot to add Stabil to the tank. If you add the Stabil in each tank you won't get the gumming.

Miltp920

Here is the update.
I added about 4 gallons of fresh gas to the tank (thinking it might have some kind of shut off if the gas level was too low). No help.
It is a power problem, not a will not run problem. There is no power to the generator prime/start system.
I looked inside the fifth wheel, in the circuit breaker box, and nothing is labeled generator or fuel pump, AND no ckt bkrs are tripped.
I pulled every fuse inside the fifth wheel by the ckt breaker box, and they were all good. Cant read the writing, but I did not see generator or fuel pump.

IF I go outside and flip the switch at the outside pump, nothing happens - This seems to be related to the generator lack of power.

IS the power - fuse - ckt breaker for the gen - outside fuel pump - in a different location than the rest of the inside stuff?

THe battery voltage was about 13.4 V, and the DC lights are working.

I disconnected shore power and the DC lights still work, but the fuel - gen still no action.

It appears the gas gauge went up with the 4 gallon add, but it is still in the red, just higher.

I realize I should be starting the gen once a month instead of twice a year.

Just trying to figure out why I seem to have no power to the generator start - fuel dispense/prime system.

Appreciate all the input.

danemayer

First off - 13.6V is the output of the Power Converter. Unless you took that voltage reading by putting meter leads directly on the battery, it's not giving you a reading of the battery. Even at that, you might have to disconnect the cable from the positive terminal of the battery to get a true reading.

Look near the battery. There's a row of mini-circuit breakers probably covered by a red rubber boot. Press the reset button shown in my earlier post.

Also, at the generator there is a thick wire going to the starter. It may be covered by another red rubber boot. Check voltage there - at the generator end. If you don't have voltage there, start tracing back. The other end should be connected to the battery.

Miltp920

First off - 13.6V is the output of the Power Converter. Unless you took that voltage reading by putting meter leads directly on the battery, it's not giving you a reading of the battery. Even at that, you might have to disconnect the cable from the positive terminal of the battery to get a true reading.

Look near the battery. There's a row of mini-circuit breakers probably covered by a red rubber boot. Press the reset button shown in my earlier post.

Also, at the generator there is a thick wire going to the starter. It may be covered by another red rubber boot. Check voltage there - at the generator end. If you don't have voltage there, start tracing back. The other end should be connected to the battery.

I did take the reading with the battery still connected at the battery terminals. I saw the copper bus bar and terminals covered in red boots, but I did not see the mini reset button. I will look again. Thanks it does seem like something has tripped power.

Miltp920

Here is my bus bars. I looked and felt around every side I could get my finger, and I could not find any reset buttons on these.

Attachments

• bus bar 2.jpg
    bus bar 2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
  • bus bar.jpg
    bus bar.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 59

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

That reset button is very small but it is there.
Revisit the breakers.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The button is on the top as pictured, and either the right-most or next one in.

Check voltage at the generator.

carl.swoyer

Look into the possibility of doing a lp conversion. Talk to onan

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Miltp920

THANKS to ALL who chimed in. I called my dealer, Pete's RV in Indiana, and they got back to me the next day with a few things to check. Turns out that when I pulled the battery out for the winter, I did not label where the generator positive lead cable connected to. The cable for generator power is BLACK, not RED, like I would have expected for a cable that was supposed to connect to the positive post on the battery. I did not know what the cable was, but I know now. I traced the BLACK cable to the generator 12 V + terminal and that solved the problem. Generator started on first try once the BLACK cable was on the + battery post. Once I shut that down, the primer button also lit up, and I was able to use the gas pump to circulate the fuel (and some stabil) in the gas tank. I ran the generator again for 10 minutes after adding stabil to the gas tank. ALL is right with the Cyclone World once again. I do appreciate this forum, and everyone that tried to help me out. I am embarrassed, but happy it is fixed. I am sure you all assumed that the power cable for the generator was connected to the correct battery terminal. Heartland, it would be nice if you used RED cable for cables that should connect to the RED + battery terminal.

carl.swoyer

Well done. Got to love a cheap fix.lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk