5th Airborne Kingpin vs Mor/Ryde Kingpin

'Lil Guy'

I ordered and paid for a Mor/ryde pin box and got the 5th airborne. It was installed on my new E289 when I looked at it in make ready. I have a receipt for the MR. I guess they can install what they want. My question is, how do they match up. This one has a firestone airbag in it. The MR had rubber isolators. Will it do the same thing as the MR. Having never pulled a 5th wheel and reading about the chucking and such. I thought I would try to address the issues up front. The salesman swears the new 5th Airborne pin box will do what I want. Trouble is, being new, I don't know what I want. Looking on line, I think it will work. Anyone had any experience with these. Pros and cons. Thanks in advance.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We really like our 5th Airborne, but have nothing to compare except before we installed it. We had chucking before. None since. Have to check and add air occasionally just like tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizzy

Our 5th Airborne has worked great. Don't regret installing and would recommend it to anyone.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Baker, I have the Mor/Ryde pinbox and it works just fine to stop the chucking. Really don't know the 5er is behind us. They are cheaper than the 5th airborne. If you already have the Mor/Ryde on the trailer......use it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it....you would have not problem selling it to someone. Your new 5er is light weight and won't have the movement the heavier trailers have. A 15500# BH or a 19000# CY are a whole different story. I don't care what hitch or pinbox you have...you will never stop some of the "tetter totter" effect when going through dips in the road. Stiffer rear shocks or airbags on your TV will help with that. You are going through a learning curve. So read all you can...go to rallies...talk to people. Then do what you think is best for you. Everyone has an opinion and you know how that story goes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I replaced the OEM pin with the 5th Airborne and it's a world of difference. No experience with the MorRyde, but many are also happy with it, as well. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice...

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Love our 5th Airborne!! In fact we love it so much, when our Key Largo came with the MR, we had them swap our 5th Airborne from our Bighorn we were trading and put it on the Key Largo.

Rod Ditrich

sengli

Where do you find the number for the pin box your trailer has....to order a replacement like this? I dont see the number on the frame attachment point? I asume the frames on the big horns are lippert.

jnbhobe

I think yours is a 1621HD. Look the pin box over good but you may have to drop it to see the numbers. 1621 is usually the standard.

'Lil Guy'

Feeling a lot better about this mix up with my salesman. I'll keep the 5th Airborne pin box since it's already mounted to my rig. I told him I'll take the Lippert that he took off home and store it in the garage. Don't know why. Something else to trip over. Maybe reinstall on rig when I get ready to try a really Big Boy. I also ordered the Timbren rear suspension enhancement system to mount on the TV. Just a rubber spring set up to replace the shock bumpers over the axel. These allow for stock ride and don't come into play until after an inch of travel. Probably won't be ready for another week. The awning lights were coming loose and the awning itself had a hole in it. They've ordered the parts. M wife couldn't look up when I backed my TT into the garage gutters but she looked up at the walk through. Maybe she's learning. Again, thanks for the replies. Eases my mind.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The stock pinbox is 150# boat anchor. No body wants them....sell it for scrap and worry about a pinbox swap later. I had the Timbrens on my 07 Chevy 2500HD. They worked OK buy the Ride Rite airbags with auto leveling on my '13 GMC 3500HD I like better. JMHO

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yep, sell the OEM pinbox. Mine went along with the front jacks and some other steel junk I had in the garage. Made a few bucks at the scrap yard.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think I got about $7.50 for our OEM pin box and the old equalizer hitch and bars from our TT days at the scrapyard, back in 2010.

'Lil Guy'

I think I got about $7.50 for our OEM pin box and the old equalizer hitch and bars from our TT days at the scrapyard, back in 2010

OK, I'll leave it at the dealership. Don't want any boat anchors to trip over in the garage. I just figured if I do upgrade again, I could keep the new one and reinstall the old one.

porthole

Retired
MOR/ryde - 5th Airborne - two different concepts for two different "corrections". Never had a 5th Airborne but would like to try one someday.

Keep it and give it a whirl.

Now, an airbag on a MOR/ryde pin box ........................

lwmcguir

I ordered and paid for a Mor/ryde pin box and got the 5th airborne. It was installed on my new E289 when I looked at it in make ready. I have a receipt for the MR. I guess they can install what they want. My question is, how do they match up. This one has a firestone airbag in it. The MR had rubber isolators. Will it do the same thing as the MR. Having never pulled a 5th wheel and reading about the chucking and such. I thought I would try to address the issues up front. The salesman swears the new 5th Airborne pin box will do what I want. Trouble is, being new, I don't know what I want. Looking on line, I think it will work. Anyone had any experience with these. Pros and cons. Thanks in advance.
Threw our Mor/Ryde in the trash bin several years ago. Liked the 5th airborne very well and replaced it with a goose box that I also like very well.