5th Wheel Choice

LDMC

Looking to upgrade to a new 5th wheel from a travel trailer. We found a Big Horn floor plan we like, but concerned about it being a higher end rig for our weekend and 2 large trips a year.

So my question I how many of you have bought a higher end rig even though you aren't using it full time?

Or did you just buy a mid range one and traded it in later?

Looking for others that have been in this position and what way did you go?

Thanks

GregP

We purchased a Bighorn 3010RE and are using it for our second year. We love the floor plan, and have found that the trailer has had almost no problems in over 20,000 miles since we bought it. Our usage is probably similar to what you are planning, but we wanted to get the BH because we are considering more long-term use in the future, although we are unlikely to go full-time (yet). Make sure your truck is up to the task as the larger units are generally heavier to begin with, and we all carry WAY too much stuff. We have a 2013 Ram 2500HD diesel with SRW and are already a few hundred pounds overweight on the pin, without adding any heavy extras to the front end (generator, fuel, batteries, etc.) and we travel with all tanks empty. We are looking for a 3500 DRW art present to replace our existing tow vehicle. Previously we have owned a 26' travel trailer and a class c motor home. Like the BH much better.

jayc

Legendary Member
I would say to buy the floor plan that you like. If you don't like the layout, you won't keep it and that can get expensive. We began our Heartland ownership in a Bighorn 3055, a very popular floor plan, but I hated the split bath design and we only kept a little over a year. We then found a Bighorn 3370 with the "side aisle" bath, and that is what we began our full time life in. We then found a deal on the Landmark that we have now and love the layout.

Good luck in your choice.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
One thing about a unit geared toward full timing, the extras are there, than a unit geared toward weekenders. Case in point, we have an ElkRidge which is not geared towards fulltiming. Differences include: smaller holding tanks. Smaller propane tanks. Smaller fridge. Smaller sink. Not as much storage for clothing or linens. Not as much room in the basement (no drop frame.) no glossy gel coat. Not as much insulation in floor or ceiling. Smaller battery compartment.

All of these things may not seem like much, but they can impact your enjoyment while you use your RV.

If you like the Bighorn floorplan, I can't see how having these little "extra"s can hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I bought our 3010RE because of the size, floor plan and the amenities. There were certain features that I wanted that just were not available on the some of the other lower end models such as the larger holding tanks, the level up system option, complete satellite wiring, better tire options, slide toppers, to list a few. Just because we are not full timers, we spend a lot of time and travel in the RV and figure that we might as well have the same comfort options the full timers have.

'Lil Guy'

Once you go over 35 feet you start running into issues at SPs. The Extreme Light Elkridge is a great rig for what you're talking about. You can tow with the 3/4 Ton truck easily and it's set up nice. We have the E289 and really like it. With that said, I'm waiting on delivery of my new Big Horn. The luxury models are amazing but you'll need the right truck to haul it. Don't ask me how I acquired the right truck.
Just take your time and make sure you get what you want or it gets expensive fast. Don't ask me how I know. Those smaller rigs are nice but get crowded fast during bad weather. Also, those high end models are sure expensive sitting around in storage waiting for the occasional trip. Again, if you think it's big enough, go a little bigger and don't make our mistakes buying 2 feet at a time. Good luck with your decision.
BTW, if you're already looking at a BH, you might be spoiled.lol They're tough to walk away from.

Oregon_Camper

We are in the same situation you're in...we are not ready to full time (still have about 12 years to go) but wanted the comforts of a larger RV. We ended up with the Bighorn 3160 and LOVE it. We can go everywhere we have in the past with our smaller bumper-pull trailer (Outback).

Enjoy the hunt for your RV.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Any of the BH"s that have a GVW of 15500 to 16500#.....you need a 1tn DRW. If its a front living or bath model. They can have a pin weight of 4K +. I would buy what you like now and the same with the TV. "Baker" knows whats he's talking about. Alway's buy more truck than you need....get's toooo expensive if you don't.

When you have time...download the HL BH MSRP sheet from the forum. Add up all the options you want. Take that total and subtract 25-30% from that. Then go make your deal. Reason being is...dealers make up their own MSRP. As far as the tires go...HL is installing Sailun tires on all BH's now. BTW, I would order a coach...not buy off the lot. JMHO.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We too are not full timers and we do not have any plans to full time in the next 15 years. We get to go out a few weeks a year and a few long weekends.

Do not hesitate to look at the other models. I think some of the downfalls listed above are dependent on the floor plans they chose. Our unit is 41'7" long, 4 slides, 419 ft.². 120gal. Grey & 80gal black tanks. Dual 30lb propane tanks. King bed. And the storage is unbelievable. We do not use half of what's available.
By choosing the model we did, we were able to purchase options we wanted and did not have to pay for options that we would not probably use. Dual ACs and Firplace was a must and we would recommend. Level Up and Ground Control can also be added after to these units.

The drop frame and higher R values are something you cannot change. So it all comes down to balancing your budget and choosing what is important to you. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

macjj

We bought a 2012 BH 3070 in 2012.. Wife fell for the floor plan. Although Retired, we only get out on one long (2+ months) trip, and a few short ones each year. I would not recommend it for full Time, for a lot of the reasons already stated + it is not good on the cold weather. My advice is to shop not only locally, but across the Internet. By doing so we shaved $20k off the local price. I have a 2006 GMC 2500HD, which has handled the load fine for over 40k mi ( towing). I live in CA and picked it up in VA (RVUSA). It was worth the expense to check it out. Not an iota of regret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

We both decided that the BH 3670RL was the floorplan for us. We reviewed all the options, decided on the ones we wanted (including the Yeti package for cold weather) and ordered it. Find a layout that works, look at the options, and go for it. But remember, go a little bit larger than you think you need - they can feel like they shrink.

Westwind

We have a Bighorn 3070RL which is 34.5 ft. long, we use it to snow bird in Florida for 4 months and we are very comfortable and we are able to carry everything we need. There are times when I feel that a couple of feet more might make a difference until I start traveling and I realize how easy it is to get into fuel stops etc. with a fifth wheel that is this length. I do not feel that a Bighorn is too much trailer for weekends or multi-week vacations.

LDMC

Thanks to all for you input. This is one of the reasons I like this site, real people giving their real world experiences and opinions based off of their usage.

Yes, we got spoiled walking into a Big Horn 3270rs, We really like that floor plan and extras. The length is not to bad at 35' and weight will be within what our 2015 GMC 3500 SRW Diesel can handle. We have looked at other models and will continue to until spring. We just keep comparing everthing back to the Big Horn and the extras and quality you get. Once you add the upgraded tires, leveling system, to just name a couple things, the cost of the other models get real close. But who knows, we may still find something else we like better.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We bought our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper pull three years ago last Friday . . . and that was supposed to last us the next 10 years.

But last May, we happened across a Heartland Elkridge and Sundance (both the same floor plan) that we really loved, but both were too heavy for our new truck (2015 Chevy Siilverado 2500HD).

We looked at several bigger 5th-wheelers . . . but for our current needs, they were all just too big!

While searching the Heartland website, I discovered that the Heartland Prowler P292 was the same floor plan as the Elkridge and Sundance we saw, and was within the tow range of our truck.

While attending a Heartland Owners Club campout, we sauntered over to the dealership and looked at the Prowler . . . talked it over and the next day we traded in our Trail Runner while it was still sitting at the campground at the HOC event!

It is a 34-footer and is just the right size for our camping needs.

We have at least 10 more years before we retire, so by then we will probably be ready for a bigger truck and trailer . . . but not just yet!

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg ProwlerSunsetBVKOA-P1000402.jpg ProwlerBVKOAsunrise-P1000424.jpg ProwlerAtMountaindale-P1000126.jpg ProwlerAtArbys2015-P1000174.jpg

First two shots are the Trail Runner on it's final camp out with us (loved that trailer and miss it), last four shots the new Prowler.