5th Wheel Hitch Overhang Fiberglass Delamination

wdk450

I'm at the Goshen Rally now, but wanted to give some input....I brought my 2010 Big Horn into the plant last week, for the same type of problem, Plus my frame was pulling apart, and the fixed it. Did a really Great Job plus a few things on the side. Can't say enough for the guys their that do the work. They took it all apart, fixed it, and it looks like new again. Work with the plant, they know what their doing.....they have lots of experience!!!!

Mine is getting fixed this week by Heartland at the factory. I'm staying at a motel in Elkhart, and hope to join the group in Goshen on Friday. I'm getting Disk Brakes added by MorRyde the week after the rally ($2366 Rally special - the guy at MorRyde started to quote me $3000), but will have to camp out at the MorRyde service center (they have 10 hookup spaces) until Thursday when they had an opening in their service bays. I will start back for California on Saturday, June 29th.

wdk450

Gang:
Last night, while dumping the tanks in Evanston, Wyoming, I notice that Heartland Service had put a new VIN/GVW sticker on the side of my unit. The shock was that the GVW was REDUCED by 500 lbs, severely reducing what I am allowed to carry with me.

Has anyone else who has had the factory frame flex repair done noticed this???

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Gang:
Last night, while dumping the tanks in Evanston, Wyoming, I notice that Heartland Service had put a new VIN/GVW sticker on the side of my unit. The shock was that the GVW was REDUCED by 500 lbs, severely reducing what I am allowed to carry with me.

Has anyone else who has had the factory frame flex repair done noticed this???

Bill, you might call HL. New BHs coming off the line might have the lower GVW, and they forgot to change it for your replacement sticker. I bet you could get a corrected one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niles

Bill, I'm interested in knowing what they did, we have, had a sagging problem also. Lippert told me that the strap holding the wall up was busted at the front of the trailer. We took the front cover off and sure enough they were. The fix that we did, which is what Lippert told us to do is drive a piece of angle steel up between the wall and the frame, after we took the old strap steel pieces off. Then weld them to the frame. I am amazed that this took the flex out of our hitch. It's just hard to believe that that little angle iron takes so much weight. We'll see if it does handle it ok, we just finished putting it back together last night. So now I'm heading out to rechalk everything. We did have some water damage on the road side of the trailer were the spice is, that seems to be the dumbest thing ever. I know there has to be a reason for it, however it's just a spot that water will sooner or later get into. photo (3).jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto (2).jpg

wdk450

Gang:
Sorry, no pics after the fix. I did manage to take a weekday private tour of the Bighorn production separate from the rally mass group on Saturday, and saw frames straight from Lippert with the "gussets" welded in place at the metal angle joints. I had the tour guide identify them as such. They are just triangular pieces of metal welded in at the right angle stress points. I do know that they removed my bedroom slide as part of the repair, so something was done in that area. I also had to remove all personal items from my end cap large closet (but not the front storage area).

Niles

Cookie, no my picture taker went on to another project, short attention span. We did put gussets in the neck of the hitch too. The orginal ones were maybe 2 inches, the new ones are at least 8 inches.