King pin bottom sagging

bill148

Took our 2009 BC 3250 out a couple weekends ago. When I went to get in the hatch under the front it hit the fiberglass and I had to lift the fiberglass a couple of inches to use the hold up latch. Called our dealer and he said it was most likely delamination and would not be covered under warranty, I actually bought the extended warranty. Well after I told him what I thought about the warranty, I pulled off the decorative hitch cover and looked between the fiberglass and the floor of the closet. The metal structure is below the flooring so the fiberglass was not glued to it in the first place, the wood is in excellent shape. Has anyone else seen this. Seems the front part around the hatch also has some waves but is not glued to anything as it is just the covering. Bad fiberglass? How was it secured originally. Glued to the metal structure that holds the hitch? Factory any ideas?

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

I have discovered you can't count on the dealer's evaluation of what is and what is not covered by warranty. My dealer indicated re taping of seams (tape did not adhere and was curling) was not covered. A call to customer support indicated there was a problem on some units from faulty tape by the manufacture. The re taping was covered and now looks great. Send some pics to HL customer support, assuming you're still under HL warranty period.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Mine was loose when we first got it and that piece was replaced under warranty.

Tankie

Was it wet in there? I noticed my sagging and had water inside. I took trim off the sides and dried it out and put back together. I had leaks around front cap from poor caulking job from factory so I recaulked the front and rear cap no problems since.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Was it wet in there? I noticed my sagging and had water inside. I took trim off the sides and dried it out and put back together. I had leaks around front cap from poor caulking job from factory so I recaulked the front and rear cap no problems since.

Same type of leaks from poor caulking job from factory. The back of the trim was cardboard and it warped when it got wet. The new replacement piece had no cardboard backing.

bill148

What was it originally attached to. I didn't see any moisture when I looked but it could have dried. Above the sagging area is the metal structure. Above that is the wood flooring. Not sure how it was originally attached. I didn't take it completely down and look but didn't see where it was glued at. I would have thought that the water would also ran down into the front compartment but none there either. When you took your down and dried it how did you reattach it underneath.

Tankie

I got lucky and was in CA when I found it, so it did not get that wet and it dried out fast.
Warning to everyone check that caulking!
I think it got most of its water when I had it washed, when they used a pressure washer.

bill148

Here is the factory reply. Just an FYI. I will be pulling it apart soon.
Hello Bill,
The bulkhead cover is not adhered (no adhesive is used) to the frame work. The bulkhead cover is screwed into place around the outside edges. When the bulkhead cover is sagging/delaminating as it shows in the photos it is from a water leak. It is critical that the sealant used around the bulkhead cover do not have any gaps or voids to prevent this from happening. If you need a new bulkhead cover you can order one through our parts department. Heartland does not offer an extended warranty. You would have to contact Assurent and see if this is covered under their policy.

Steve Kennel
Midwest Warranty & Service Rep
Heartland Dealer Services
Phone: 574-262-8030 ext. 1116
Fax: 574-206- 0910

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I would like to see some photos of what your replacing. I opened up the front cap of my Bighorn last week. I was trying to check the frame that holds the pin box and a leak that I have on the sides.

I will start another thread because I want to ask the factory a question about the movement of the frame causing the caulking to separate on the sides.

The part that goes on the front and up bending to the pin box on mine is luan (SP) and part of it has deteriated due to water. If I can some day I would like to replace it with fiberglass.

I have a bit of movement that causes between an 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap when I connect to the truck. I am going to check with the factory to get an observation.

If anyone else is having a similar problem please post on the thread I am going to start a bit later.

BC

bill148

It is Filon on mine and here is the price they quoted me for a 2009 BC 3250. The cost of that piece would be 236.85 plus crate and freight. I'm sure most would be close.

aatauses

txbobcat----check out the pictures I supplied in one of my threads---great rally--Bh falling apart---not sure how to link you to that. Anyway when I hooked up in OR I noticed a gap of 1/4--3/8" in caulking on the overhang on the door side. I sent pictures to HL and since my unit is 13 months old they said they would consider something if I took it to Indiana (I am currently in WA), I am trying to deal with a dealer here to see what might need to be done. After I unhook the caulking goes back to normal with a small crack in it--which I caulk.
I do have extended warrently but they say that flexing/stressing is not covered.
First estimate from a local dealer is 10--12 hrs.
al

bill148

Have my BC parked right next to a Cyclone in the place that i store it. Checked just to see if his front was also sagging and it was. He had put so screws in it to hold it up. Looks like it may be an inherent problem on Heartland products. Can we say class action!!! I would join.

Tankie

Mine is not sagging anymore once I re-caulked the cap to stop water from getting in. It is a little wavy but not sagging.

LBallard

Bill,
The replacement piece you are referring to is it 8' wide by roughly 8' long? I have had problems since January with mine separating (where the overhang and front cap meet) and extremly weavy (buckled). I am sure mine was caused by water damage due to the caulking seperation.
Water collected in the overhang area and when I pushed up on it water would rush out the Pin box cut- out area.
Everything is out of warranty, so I am on my own.
Did you replace it yourself? Do you have photos?

Lin Ballard

Elevatorman

Mine was replaced under warranty last year due to water also. It turned out to be the horizontal seams leaking . The front cap had been re-caulked earlier, and water still got in. Since replacement and new caulk, all has been well, so far! I also heard that water can get in when towing on rainy days, coming in around the pin box. I would think the pin box cover Heartland puts on many units would prevent this. This cover is caulked at the top where it meets the overhang so I guess water could be a problem there. I'm watching the area where the cap, roof and gutter all meet thinking this is a problem spot too. There is a lot of caulk up there in one spot on each corner that could be troublesome.