5th wheel hitch selection

alex00

I think I've narrowed my fifth wheel hitch choices down to the Reese R20 or the Curt Q24. It looks like both Hitches have solar features. Both will work with my intended Cyclone (18k gvwr). I'm having trouble finding good a way to decide which one to get. The Curt is a little less expensive. The Reese release handle looks a little nicer. The hitch will be going in a '14 Ram longbed with the factory fiver prep so my current B&W companion won't work.

Thanks in advance. I'm also open to other hitch options if you think I'm missing the mark with my two choices.

marvmarcy

FWIW: Because of the trailer weight and the possibility with a toyhauler of not getting good weight distribution, I would consider an air hitch or air pin for truck comfort. I also recommend a fully articulating hitch head (if your two choices don't have it) to reduce strain on the hitch and trailer frame as well as making hitching/unhitching easier on uneven ground. I don't have personal experience with your two hitch choices, but would pick the one rated for the highest load. I've seen what a hitch has to endure in a vehicle accident and wouldn't want that heavy trailer coming through the cab.

dave10a

I have the Reese 20k hitch with the Trail Air pin box. The hitch head is fully articulating and is highly improbable, most likely impossible, to improperly hitch if the safety pin is properly inserted. The only problem may be is it can be hard to unhitch if there is tension on the pin. After some experience, I found that if i put back pressure and not forward pressure on the pin it unhitches easily. I suspect all quality and name brand hitches are good these days, but the air bag pin box certainly is worth the money--no chucking and a good ride-- don't even know the trailer is there.

slborba

I just bought the TrailerSaver TS3 for my 2014 Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 and my FW is a 2007 Landmark Monticello (18K GVW) with TrailAir king pin. I first thought maybe I spent too much on the hitch.....heck NO....I'd do it again. The smoothest FW ride I've had.

Steve

cfulton

Have the Curt and MorRyde Pin Hitch and have had zero problems! love the Curt, always had Reese prior--won't go back.

Vinny773

Hi Alex, I also have the B&W hitch. Why won't it work? I was counting on it and thought with the prep kit it would fix right in place.

alex00

Thank you for the responses. It's nice to know that one hitch doesn't necessarily oppression the other. The big take away is the recommendation for a pin box. Looks like I'll order up a trail air when I get the trailer.

Vinny-
The 5th wheel prep is in essence ram's version of the B&W. None of my B&W parts will fit the prep kit. It's literally square peg in a round hole. When I called B&W a few months back they said they had no plans to make anything to fit the prep kit. They told me to use their setup I'd have to remove the prep kit altogether. It's a shame because I love my companion hitch.

Vinny773

Alex, what hitch did you decide on? I have the trailer air pin hitch on my Bighorn. My truck should be in either this Friday or Monday. I'm excited! It's to bad our B&W Hitch will not fit. I guess we wasted $350.00 on the prep kit.

alex00

Alex, what hitch did you decide on? I have the trailer air pin hitch on my Bighorn. My truck should be in either this Friday or Monday. I'm excited! It's to bad our B&W Hitch will not fit. I guess we wasted $350.00 on the prep kit.
I'm still not sure. The Curt is $250 less on Amazon than the Reese. I like the release handle of the Reese. I'm just not sure that the handle and nicer looking hitch is worth the extra $250 to me. I thought about not ordering the prep kit, but in the long run, I think it will be better. By the time I paid for installation and parts for the B&W gooseneck, I'd be at the price of the prep kit. I still wouldn't be able to use my companion with the trailer I am going to order.

Vinny773

Alex, I spoke to Erick at B&W yesterday and he said if I didn't buy the Ram prep kit a B&W hitch would work. Erick said it was a four bolt system but the prep kit would have to be remove. My understanding was that B&W doesn't have a hitch compatible with the Ram prep kit.

dave10a

Just curious, I have no idea what is the best hitch but the B&W seems to get a lot of support. My question is why is it any better than Reese, Curt and other name brands? I am always looking to the future and some day I will be trading in my present truck, RV and I like to keep abreast of things that are better or imporved. It is most helpful to me if specific information is included in the comments.
Thanks

sjs731

One plus is I have a gooseneck and 5th wheel both with the turnover ball/ companion combination. Also no rails in my bed when I have it removed. It's easily removed by one person. The silver jaws are easy to see and make it easy to see there is positive engagement around the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

alex00

Alex, I spoke to Erick at B&W yesterday and he said if I didn't buy the Ram prep kit a B&W hitch would work. Erick said it was a four bolt system but the prep kit would have to be remove. My understanding was that B&W doesn't have a hitch compatible with the Ram prep kit.

I had the same discussion with them a few months ago. I decided at that time to order the prep on the ram since I'd have to replace all my B&W parts anyway. Personally I think ram missed the boat spreading the holes so far apart. Ford used much closer spacing so a hitch aline can cover the holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

alex00

One plus is I have a gooseneck and 5th wheel both with the turnover ball/ companion combination. Also no rails in my bed when I have it removed. It's easily removed by one person. The silver jaws are easy to see and make it easy to see there is positive engagement around the pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

That is what sold me originally on the B&W. At least the ram prep kit offers similar empty functionality. Hopefully the ram prep kit was a good choice. If nothing else it will give me more variety in hitches. Not that there is anything wrong with the companion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk