5th WHEEL HITCH

I'm sure this has been posted a bunch, but what is the best hitch for the money? I've seen 5th wheel hitches from $3000.00 to $1000.00?? What do you actually need to be practical, comfortable, and functional??

Last edited by a moderator:

SNOKING

OK a little research shows that you have a 2014 2500HD, what we do not know is it a short bed or long bed, if it is a short bed and you plan on an auto slider hitch it adds an extra 100 pounds or so to the truck, which subtracts from the amount of pin weight you can handle along with everything else you place in the bed.

Generally speaking 250/2500 are good for 5th wheels around 12,000 to 14,000. Above that you will be under the manufacturers published numbers. Over that and you run into RGAWR which is a number you do not want to exceed without update rear wheels and tires to something like 19.5 rims and tires.

In today's world of heavy diesel pickups, I find it hard to understand why people still buy 250/2500 trucks and then want to tow larger 5th wheels. My 2015 RAM 3500 SB CC 4x4 has a GVWR of 11.700 and RGAWR of 7K. The LB model has a 12,300 GVWR. The 2500 has a 6500 RGAWR and 10,000 GVWR. Many tow over the GVWR, however going over RGAWR is not advised. Chris

Pirana

When I did my research I found that for the money the Curt hitches are the best, although made in China. If you can afford a little more, then the B&W are probably the best and made in the USA. Just my opinion.

Sniper

I'm sure this has been posted a bunch, but what is the best hitch for the money? I've seen 5th wheel hitches from $3000.00 to $1000.00?? What do you actually need to be practical, comfortable, and functional??
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a B & W in my humble opinion. :)

IronJ

I like me my bmw hitch....good stuffs....

Err...B&W...😎...its all i run now...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD short box gasser and our Prowler is under 9900 lbs loaded.

I don't know how much our hitch weighs, but it is more than I can pick up by myself (almost blew a gasket trying to pick it up :p ).

Anyway, we have a Reese 16K Pro Slider:

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

It is my first 5th-wheel hitch, so I don't have any experience with any other, but I haven't had any problems with it in a year and a half and was around $1000 bucks installed.

Many will say you won't need a slider if you have a short box, and I can say that I've never used it . . . yet.

But I like having it just in case I ever do find myself in a tight spot.

I'd rather have that tool in my tool box than need it . . . and not have it!

sengli

Are you going full time,or ? We started off with a reese 16K, it was new and installed free with the RV we bought new. Eventually went with a curt 20K, with the RAM in bed mounting system, when I switched trucks. It just looks prettier, works the same.... and was less that $800.00. I am not a full timer though.

Gizzy

Started out with a Reese 15K and used that for about 3 yrs, then decided to get a Curt 20K and love it. I think it is really good bang for your buck. We are not full timers, but have put over 50,000 miles on the coach since we got it back in 2010.

LBR

Already had rails in the truck, so went with a Curt 24K...IMO, works great for $585.00 OTD price.