5th wheel vs travel trailer

Bardeenm1

Ok we are stuck between 2 options with a new camper.

Option 1 9072lb scaled dry 5th wheel

or

Option 2 7500lb Travel trailer

Both are within my trucks abilities and both have different positives and negatives.

My question is what will be a better tow for long trips from NY to FL, one or 2 times a year other trips will be short 2-5hrs.

Most the guys I know have switched to bigger heavier 5th wheel campers and would never go back to a travel trailer. I'm still stuck on the almost 1600lb weight difference?

Opinions? I have left out the brands as I do NOT want this to become a brand discussion!

TXTiger

A lot depends on what you want to do. I needed a toy hauler and most trailers do not have a dedicated garage. I did not want to park my Harley in my kitchen/living room so I got a fifth wheel. I have also been told that fifth wheelers tow better than trailers but the only trailer I towed before my fifth wheel was a boat trailer so I am not sure. I do back up better with the fifth wheel. The boat trailer always wanted to jackknife backing up.

Rickhansen

....Both are within my trucks abilities and both have different positives and negatives.... I'm still stuck on the almost 1600lb weight difference?

Bardeenm1,
You provide little for someone else to go by, here.

It sounds like you are struggling on what you'd be most comfortable driving, although your truck appears to be capable of either. My thought is that you need to focus your consideration on the function of your RV, and weigh the positives and negatives that you've already mentioned but not stated. The driving and towing piece is academic and the feedback you'll receive is someone else's opinion, based on their personal preferences, experiences, and different equipment.

I'm not intentionally soft-soaping my answer, but you should focus on the "camping" experience. Towing it will work itself out with either rig.

Eddhuy

I agree with Rickhansen. Last summer I went from a 30ft TT to a 33ft 5er. Both towed great and the 5er is easier to back but no problems backing the TT. It was the camping experience that had us do the upgrade, my opinion that it was an upgrade. It sounds like you have a 5er and a TT you are looking at, which one do you like better? It was my opinion that got me to switch, but then I was not worried about the weight either.

Bardeenm1

Bardeenm1,
You provide little for someone else to go by, here.

It sounds like you are struggling on what you'd be most comfortable driving, although your truck appears to be capable of either. My thought is that you need to focus your consideration on the function of your RV, and weigh the positives and negatives that you've already mentioned but not stated. The driving and towing piece is academic and the feedback you'll receive is someone else's opinion, based on their personal preferences, experiences, and different equipment.

I'm not intentionally soft-soaping my answer, but you should focus on the "camping" experience. Towing it will work itself out with either rig.

Both have very very similar floor plans are NOT far off from each other in price and options. THE ONLY THING I AM ASKING IS what is more enjoyable to tow from people that have experience. I currently tow a 31ft tounge to bumper travel trailer. The 5th wheel is 34ft total and the travel trailer is 36ft plus ofcourse the extra length of the hitch.

I have not had any problems with my current trailer and I am very comfortable with it. I however hear very frequently that until you experienced towing a 5th wheel you don't know how much better it COULD be.

I am simply looking for a larger audiences opinions then my few camping freinds that have switch. This is not meant to be a discussion about trucks or the usability but what is a more pleasurable tow experience.

jnbhobe

by all means the fifth wheel as far as the towing experience if you have ever had a travel trailer start swaying on you you'll know what I mean as far as the towing experience I towed 40 years before I had 1 start swaying on me and it's no fun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bardeenm1

I agree with Rickhansen. Last summer I went from a 30ft TT to a 33ft 5er. Both towed great and the 5er is easier to back but no problems backing the TT. It was the camping experience that had us do the upgrade, my opinion that it was an upgrade. It sounds like you have a 5er and a TT you are looking at, which one do you like better? It was my opinion that got me to switch, but then I was not worried about the weight either.

Thank you. We are "Upgrading" both units have larger bunk houses and my needed out door kitchen. They each have good and bad that balance the options out. The 5th wheel has a flip down bumper rack so loosing the bed becomes much less of a concern the when I first entertained the 5th wheel idea. The travel trailer is a little "flashier" but we are not overly flashy people.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From my experience, 5th wheels are easier and more comfortable to tow. The only way I would consider another TT would be if we were to downsize to a small weekend trailer. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
5th wheels generally have more outside storage than TT's. Often, 5th wheels have more slide outs than tt's depending on the floor plan. 5th wheels have steps to the upper level and more steps for entry into the rig. If steps may be a problem, this could be a factor.
Good Luck!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We went from a 27ft. TT to a 39ft. fifth wheel. In doing so, I also had to go from a 1500 series truck to a 3500HD dually. Granted, there are floorplans in the larger TT's that almost (almost I say) rival those in some 5'ers, but overall the 5'ers are more roomy. And with their design, tend to have considerably more storage space. I do think my BH tows and manuevers easier than the TT did, but that may also be a factor of the difference in the towing vehicle.

Eddhuy

Alright, now I understand better what you are looking for. Looking at it from strictly a towing experience, I prefer the 5th wheel, by a lot. But you do have to be careful about the height of the 5er initially, easy to hit branches that never touched the TT. I never feel the 5er behind me regardless of road or wind conditions, big hills being the exception, the truck may downshift, and it tracks quite well, being stuck downtown in rush hour traffic is not a problem. I was using the same truck to tow both. I have since bought a new truck however, same truck, just newer.

Rmcgrath53

I have had both. By far the 5th wheel is more stable. I use to tell a semi was passing without seeing it in the mirror. Now I can only tell if a semi is passing by looking in the mirror or seeing the truck pass me. A huge difference in comfort, no more white knukles.

FiremanBill

Without a doubt the 5th wheel!

Only draw back in my opinion is the loss of the bed of the truck for hauling gear but the 5er can make up for that with the under floor storage in most cases except for bikes and such.

The 5'ers tow so much easier even with them being heavier.

guyc66

I have owned both as well......went from a 27' TT to a 34' fifthwheel and the 5er was a lot better towing experience. In fact, the day we were towing our TT to trade in on our first 5er SOB we ended upside down in the median of I-24 in Manchester, TN. I learned first-hand how quickly a trailer can own you and it gave a whole new meaning to the expression "white knuckle driving". Like a previous member said, I wouldn't trade back down to a TT unless it was for a small weekend sized unit, but for now we are full-timing in our Landmark and just love it. Happy camping with what ever you choose to go with.

Kbvols

My 36 ft fifthwheel is more of a pleasure to tow then my old 26ft TT both towed with same tow vehicle. I increased my weight by 51%. Based on numbers you provided the increase in weight from the 5'er to TT is approx a 21%.

scottyb

Size for size, the 5th wheel will have a much shorter footprint. To me there is no comparison between towing a 5th wheel or gooseneck with their counterpart TT, whether it be a RV, horse trailer, or flatbed.

olcoon

My experience pulling a TT has been less than 5 miles when I bought one for a "hunting cabin". Other than that I've pulled a small boat trailer & a 16' flatbed. We went from tent camping to a 30' 5er, and I was pretty concerned pulling something that big. Once I got used to it it was a breeze, I hardly know it's back there. We are "any timers", and usually spend around 6 months in the Elk Ridge. My only regret getting this 5er is that we were newbees, and weren't aware of a lot of things & didn't think we would become addicted like we have. We are currently thinking about upgrading (to another Heartland), and will definitely get a floor plan that will fit our needs better (have more room & storage). We have been in the mountains in CO & WY, plus a lot of other areas in the US, and NEVER had a problem with the 5er pulling it down the road.

dave10a

Trailers are lower and can go under lower obstacles while traveling. Trailers are easier to backup. Trailers track the wheels of the tow vehicle better. Fifth wheels tow better with less sway and are more resistant to cross wind. Fifth wheel are more suited to longer stay because they can have washer and dryers.