Considering purchasing a Gateway 3650 41 foot 5th wheel but do I need a bigger truck?

apmeg

I'm very new to this so I'm really hoping some of you who have been doing this for a while can give me some advice. I'm looking to purchase either a Gateway 3650 or Elkridge 37Ulta 5th wheel for my family and I to travel cross country - it's something we've talked about doing for a long time but I want to make sure I have the right vehicle. Both campers are 41 feet long and weigh around 13,000 pounds empty - they each have a GVWR of around 15,500 pounds which is right at the upper limit for my 2010 Ford F350 Diesel (Single Rear Wheel)- technically I should be able to tow either trailer but, having not done this before, am I taking a risk by loading that truck with that much weight traveling from Virginia to California to include Tennessee, Colorado, Montana, Oregon, and New Mexico for not only this trip but from now on? Would it be better to get a Duel Rear Wheel vehicle instead and, if so, those of you who own DRWs, what are they like to drive under normal conditions to work etc. when not hauling the camper? I guess while I don't necessarily want to drive a DRW just to get around town, I would rather do that then spend our family trips struggling to pull the camper. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Hi apmeg,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You'll probably get varying opinions. We have a 2011 GMC 3500 Crewcab longbed 4x4 SRW and pull a 16,000# Landmark all over the country, including the Colorado mountains. It does a great job. If Fords are as good as Ford owners usually claim, you should be fine. But I suspect shortbeds might not be as stable as a longbed. Of course a dually will be more stable and will usually have both greater vertical load capacity and greater towing capacity.

Since you already have the SRW, you might try towing the new trailer through the Appalachians and make your decision based on how it does.

Btw, duplicate posting is not permitted, so I've deleted your 2nd post asking the same question.

apmeg

Thanks Dan - I didn't mean to post twice - I just thought this one got lost. I'm really thankful that you deleted that second one, I was a little worried about that.

GWRam

Apmeg,As Dan said you will get a lot of varying opinions. We just purchased our 3650 and are towing with a 2013 Ram 2500 crew cab with shortbed srw. It tows awesome. I was looking at drw but it is my daily ride and drw would be real tight during my daily travels. Since your current vehicle meets specs no real reason to change unless you really want drw.Dave

priorguy

I would try your truck out first too..,. Unless the new trailer is just an excuse for a new truck. You wouldn't be the first one to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apmeg

Thanks all of you so far - I really don't want to drive the DRW around daily (not to mention I really don't want to buy one if I don't have to) but I just wasn't sure if the SRW could handle it safely and reliably - again, haven't done this before -but you folks have been a big help.

dongibbs

Hi apmeg,

I just went through this process myself, but I had no choice but to but a new truck. You should definitely see if your current truck will do the job first. We did get a DRW after talking to quite a few people with experience towing with both SRW and DRW. Basically they said the SRW will do the job, but the DRW will be more stable. Since we are doing this full time we decided to go with stable. As far as driving a DRW fulltime it is not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. We park further out than we used to and sometimes we take up two spots, but we are getting used to it quickly.

Good luck

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Do you know the gear ratio in your current truck? That can make a noticable difference in how the truck "feels" when towing.
Certainly a higher ratio (low gearing) will make towing in the mountains a lot less of a chore but there's also no need to have a 4.10 gear if the truck is well within published limits with what you're pulling. If you've checked your truck and how it's equipped against Ford's published towing specs and you're within limits then getting a Dually will be truck lust! (I sure do love my dually!:eek:)

alex00

Thanks all of you so far - I really don't want to drive the DRW around daily (not to mention I really don't want to buy one if I don't have to) but I just wasn't sure if the SRW could handle it safely and reliably - again, haven't done this before -but you folks have been a big help.

I just wanted to offer encouragement that if you do buy a new truck don't let the dually intimidate you. I understand the desire to not buy something new. We've had a dually for almost ten years. In my experience the width has never been a problem. If I've had to pass up a parking spot it was because of length not width. If a SRW crew cab long bed would fit, I'd probably fit too.

Obviously there are differences. I can't recall a single time the width of my truck caused me to alter what I was doing. The benefits of several thousand pounds of extra hauling to me make up for the two extra tire purchases every few years.

Have fun with whatever you get.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
asking about trucks is really opening a can of worms. Everyone has their own opinion. Look at the published ratings for the various sizes and brands and then pick what you think will work for you.

apmeg

All, thank you so much for your responses and help - I'm extremely thankful. Definately lots of different opinions out there and it looks like I've got some more research to do especially on specs and our usage since we're a family of 5 plus two dogs so I've got some homework to do but man...you all have been a tremendous help. As a first timer on a site like this it really exciting to see how much help is out there and it's firing me up even more to get on the road.