6-Point Auto Level Not Working

richheck

Seasoned Member
Somewhere deep in the manual I think it says that the front must be high prior to starting auto level.

Correct but that only applies to "Hitch Recognition"

From the owners manual:

"Hitch Recognition
  1. Turn on touch pad.
  2. Press the "LEFT" and "RIGHT" buttons simultaneously (Fig. 1H and 1I).
  3. The front of the unit will raise to the height where the auto level sequence was started.
NOTE: If the auto level sequence was started with the front of the unit in a below level condition, the HitchRecognition will not function and the LCD will display “Feature Disabled." In order for the hitchrecognition feature to function, the auto level sequence MUST be started with the front of the unitabove level.

1. Connect tow vehicle and make sure 5th wheel and hitch are connected and locked.
  2. Push “UP” arrow (Fig. 1A) until ”AUTO RETRACT” appears in LCD screen.
  3. Push “ENTER” (Fig. 1C). System will immediately retract all jacks. "

Mrsfish

Somewhere deep in the manual I think it says that the front must be high prior to starting auto level.

When wde had our 6 pt level up added after market to our rig by Lippert, the lead technician instructed us that after we had disconnec ed from the truck to LOWER the front of the rig before we started the level up process. We have found that by doing this we have fewer issues with wheels off the ground as the unit starts from a lower starting point. Have you ever noticed that the unit levels by pushing 1 side or another higher?...works for us beautifully

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I believe the front needs to be higher prior to starting auto level, for the RETURN TO TRUCK HIEGHT to work.
I couldn't​ get mine to work for a long time. But it's been working good now. Love that feature. It's perfect every time I back under it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

When wde had our 6 pt level up added after market to our rig by Lippert, the lead technician instructed us that after we had disconnec ed from the truck to LOWER the front of the rig before we started the level up process. We have found that by doing this we have fewer issues with wheels off the ground as the unit starts from a lower starting point. Have you ever noticed that the unit levels by pushing 1 side or another higher?...works for us beautifully
If you change the high of the front jacks before you start the AUTO LEVEL prosses then the RETURN TO TRUCK HIEGHT will not work right.

Mrsfish

If you change the high of the front jacks before you start the AUTO LEVEL prosses then the RETURN TO TRUCK HIEGHT will not work right.

get it, but loading our camper has never been an issue. Rick and I have been doing the load/unload dance so long we have it down to a science. Have never used the 'return to truck height' feature and haven't really wanted to. But that's us.

porthole

Retired

Auto level should lower the front of the trailer (retract the rams) as a start to get a get a baseline for auto leveling.

You should not have to lower the front manually.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No problem
We do things differently too :)
She does the inside and I do the outside​.
I love the feature and it goes right back to truck hieght perfectly​ every time.

porthole

Retired
get it, but loading our camper has never been an issue. Rick and I have been doing the load/unload dance so long we have it down to a science. Have never used the 'return to truck height' feature and haven't really wanted to. But that's us.

I did, twice.
Didn't work the first time and found it not of use the second time :rolleyes:

So, not just you :cool:

Georgia_Biker

I did it manually - will be calling Lippert customer service in the morning

On Monday I talked with Jamie at Lippert customer service.

He recommended I check the front and rear sensor to confirm they had not worked loose. The front sensor was OK but, I could never find a rear sensor. I dropped the rear cover panel to see the frames.

If the sensors are OK Jamie said to get a level and manually level the unit and then do the "Zero Calibration" operation. I performed that successfully.

We move campgrounds today so we'll see what happens at the next stop.

JMP

I have had better success w/ 6pt level system after putting in 1.5 Qts of the CAT fluid. I still get some minor movement with the temperature swings (+/- ~1/8th). I manually level mine with a 5 ft. level (like some of the posts here, just a personal preference).

porthole

Retired
I have had better success w/ 6pt level system after putting in 1.5 Qts of the CAT fluid. I still get some minor movement with the temperature swings (+/- ~1/8th). I manually level mine with a 5 ft. level (like some of the posts here, just a personal preference).

Ever try leveling with the built in indictor lights?

Or maybe the electronic level?

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Comp...&qid=1491408332&sr=8-2&keywords=lippert+level

I picked up a pair of the digital indicators but still haven't tried them.

Georgia_Biker

Re: 6-Point Auto Level Not Working - and getting wierd

On Monday I talked with Jamie at Lippert customer service.

He recommended I check the front and rear sensor to confirm they had not worked loose. The front sensor was OK but, I could never find a rear sensor. I dropped the rear cover panel to see the frames.

If the sensors are OK Jamie said to get a level and manually level the unit and then do the "Zero Calibration" operation. I performed that successfully.

We move campgrounds today so we'll see what happens at the next stop.

Well I took the covering loose on the backend and did not find a rear sensor - I found the front sensor - does anyone know where it might be located on a BH3875FB?

The last two times we have moved the AUTO LEVEL is crazy. I did make sure the rig is above level when I start Auto Level - the front end goes almost to the ground - then it moves up and down, extends all the legs, dips in the front and says "Success". I did the manual level with a level and my wife. I Zero calibrate it but, the next time I try to setup the same thing happens.

Should you be able to clear the settings and have the Auto Level find Level on it's own? It has been working over a year automatically. Something has changed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The last time I seen a rear sensor it was right in front or right behind the fresh water tank.
Dit you ever unplug the front Control box in the front compartmnent ???
When you did the recalibration did you hit Enter once it was done ?

danemayer

Well I took the covering loose on the backend and did not find a rear sensor - I found the front sensor - does anyone know where it might be located on a BH3875FB?

The last two times we have moved the AUTO LEVEL is crazy. I did make sure the rig is above level when I start Auto Level - the front end goes almost to the ground - then it moves up and down, extends all the legs, dips in the front and says "Success". I did the manual level with a level and my wife. I Zero calibrate it but, the next time I try to setup the same thing happens.

Should you be able to clear the settings and have the Auto Level find Level on it's own? It has been working over a year automatically. Something has changed.

If you successfully zero-calibrated and the problem comes back after the next move, I'd guess the sensor is detached and moving around during travel.

Here's a picture of a Bighorn on the production line. I think the blue PEX is the water feed line from the fresh tank on the right, to the pump. The sensor is mounted to the cross member just in front of the tank. Looks like it's above the insulation package.

BH Level up rear sensor.jpg
To get to the sensor, I would start at the fresh tank drain, move forward about a foot, and toward the center. You'll probably have to cut the coroplast to gain access. Cut 3 sides of a rectangle, leaving the front edge uncut. When done, tape it back in place.

Georgia_Biker

If you successfully zero-calibrated and the problem comes back after the next move, I'd guess the sensor is detached and moving around during travel.

Here's a picture of a Bighorn on the production line. I think the blue PEX is the water feed line from the fresh tank on the right, to the pump. The sensor is mounted to the cross member just in front of the tank. Looks like it's above the insulation package.

View attachment 50911
To get to the sensor, I would start at the fresh tank drain, move forward about a foot, and toward the center. You'll probably have to cut the coroplast to gain access. Cut 3 sides of a rectangle, leaving the front edge uncut. When done, tape it back in place.

Thanks Dan - you are a genius - that has got to be the problem if I can get to it-

avvidclif

When mine went completely stupid cleaning the contacts and greasing (electronic grease) them on the rear sensor helped a bunch. At least the level stayed consistent. Didn't cure all of it though, still leaves the rear jacks in the air sometimes when it's happy. I just level it manually.

Georgia_Biker

I am at a loss on my Level Up System problem. Based on allthe advice on the Forum and also talking with Ron previously at Heartland – I wasconvinced the rear sensor had come loose from the frame.
We came home for Easter this past weekend so I was able toget the BH on a level concrete pad where I store it. As per several timesbefore the Auto Level would go to a crazy angle and say success!
With the photos supplied by Dan I started cutting coroplastlooking for the rear sensor and could not find it.
I called Heartland this morning and talked with Bob askingif he could tell me where the rear sensor was. After a discussion of explainingthe problem with the system and my troubleshooting he explained it was virtuallyimpossible it was the rear sensor and it was most likely the controller wouldneed to be replaced.
I asked how I could trouble shoot it and he said I shouldtake it to a service center for repairs.
He never could tell me where the rear sensor was located. Itold him I was hoping the factory might have a build sheet on this particularmodel for a location. Again, he said that was not the problem.
Please understand I don’t want to be negative – I just wantsome help – we love our Big Horn and want to be able to use it.
Anyone have any ideas?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I wonder if Lippert would send you a replacement brain to swap out and send them yours to check out.
Or if by chance you have a Heartland members near you that would be willing to swap brains with and see if it's your brain or your system.
Last resort would be to buy another brain $$$

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if Lippert would send you a replacement brain to swap out and send them yours to check out.

Sometimes my wife tells me I need to get my brain checked out.

Peace
Dave