8000lb axle question

ihsolutions

My Big Horn 3670RL is ready to be picked up this Monday. I went to the factory this week to check things out which I posted about in the general discussion forum. I ordered the 8000lb Dexter axles with never lube hubs and 3.75" brake option.

I know that in the Big Horn brochure it says the "Equa-Flex suspension by Trail-Air with shocks" is standard equipment on all Big Horns. However, because I have different axles I do not have a trail-air Equa-flex system. I don't know what mine is, or how it compares to the standard equipment. There seemed to be a giant rubber spacer between the shackles... I know, without pictures it's hard to know what I'm talking about.

Can anyone comment on the suspension system with 8000lb axles and how it compares to the lesser axle system? I did not check to make sure it has shocks. My only concern is that it does not ride any rougher than a "stock" Big Horn.

beardedone

Beardedone
Dexter has a similar product to the Trail-Air equa flex and that may be what you saw. It makes sense not to mix brand products to me.

RollingHome

Jeff, Just curious, why did you order the 8,000 pound axles ? I really am ignorant here and not questioning your judgement. The reason I ask is, I just bought a 3670RL (2011) and I thought.... jee, it has a 16,000 pound gross and the axles are 7,000 each x 2 = 14,000 so I have 2,000 "floating" to the king pin, so what if... I did not see an option for 8,000 pound axles when I bought. I just want to have something to worry about, as if I don't have enough... Thanks, Tom.

jnbhobe

I would have ordered the 8K just for the brakes. Traliers never seem to have enough brake for me !!! I just put disc brakes on my unit, almost $ 2K. Good option for the money. JMHO Jon

ihsolutions

Jeff, Just curious, why did you order the 8,000 pound axles ? I really am ignorant here and not questioning your judgement. The reason I ask is, I just bought a 3670RL (2011) and I thought.... jee, it has a 16,000 pound gross and the axles are 7,000 each x 2 = 14,000 so I have 2,000 "floating" to the king pin, so what if... I did not see an option for 8,000 pound axles when I bought. I just want to have something to worry about, as if I don't have enough... Thanks, Tom.

Tom, I purchased the axles in order to get the bigger brakes. It was all one bundled option along with the never-lube hubs which I also liked. The cost of this bundled option in total was still LESS than what it would have cost to only have upgraded the brakes after leaving the factory. So the larger axles and better hubs were "free" the way I was looking at it. I figured, it couldn't hurt anything to have oversized axles. My GVWR is still 16k.