8K axles are standard but are not?????

hughesmk

There seems to be conflcting information about the 8K axles on the Landmark. They are listed as "Standard" on the Heartland website and brochures, as well as in postings here by the former GM for the Landmark brand. They are also listed as a forced option on the MSRP sheet from 2014, and when pricing a unit the 8K axels are charged as a seperate line item which suggests to me that they are not standard. I completely understand the Mandatory/Forced option stuff, and note that NONE of the forced options are listed as being standard EXCEPT for the 8k Axles.

Just a little frustrated on this one and hoping someone can educate me as to how this standard item can also be a forced option that customers are required to pay extra for. :confused:

jimtoo

HI hugesmk,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you don't get an answer from someone soon you might call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032 and ask for the Landmark 365 folks.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Hi hughesmk,

"Standard" and "Forced Option" are slightly different, but the end result to you is the same. When you order the trailer, it comes with the 8K axles.

My understanding is that "Forced Option" allows the manufacturer to offer a private label version of the trailer to a retailer who might want to sell it under a different name. The retailer could negotiate a bulk agreement that doesn't include forced options.

Also, by pricing it as a "Forced Option", the manufacturer can advertise the trailer as priced "Starting at....". This seems to be a very common practice in the RV industry (and other industries). I haven't noticed Heartland doing any Landmark 365 advertising like this, but they could do so in response to competitors taking a similar approach.