A/C Life Span?

MTPockets

I was just wondering - what life span one should expect from their A/C unit? In our case, we have two units - One 15,000 and one 13,500... Use is frequent as we travel full time and find that our 5vr with the dual pane glass and Yeti package does well with the 2 A/C's in 100 plus degree heat and parked in the sun, maintaining temps in the 70's. What started me thinking about the life span question is - we are in a State Park for three nights, 102 degrees today, and we have only 30 amp service in this park, so we're only able to run one unit at a time. Running the 15,000 unit, with temps outside 102 in full sun, we are maintaining 82 degrees inside. The unit runs constantly - hence the life span thought. I keep the roof apparatus clean and that's all, I think, is required... Anyone have experience with this question?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When we traded our Bighorn in this December, the A/C's were both functioning perfectly after six years of full timing. I really think RV appliances, including the A/C's tend to last longer with full time use...storage and non-use appears to take it's toll quicker...JMHO.

guyc66

We full timed in our last 5er that only had one 15K a/c unit and it was still running strong after 10 years of constant use. I never had it serviced either.....just cleaned out the housing once a year and oiled it.

TXTiger

Good question. I have wondered if you use the A/C a lot do you need to top off the coolant every once in awhile?

mobilcastle

We full timed in our last 5er that only had one 15K a/c unit and it was still running strong after 10 years of constant use. I never had it serviced either.....just cleaned out the housing once a year and oiled it.
What did you oil?

donr827

Good question. I have wondered if you use the A/C a lot do you need to top off the coolant every once in awhile?

Should never have to top off the refrigerant unless you have a leak in the closed system. You would want to have it repaired to keep the moisture out of the system.
Don

guyc66

What did you oil?

My old unit had a small hole on the fan motor that had a plug that needed to be removed to add a few drops of oil......I assume it was for the bearings. I believe most newer units are sealed and don't need this extra maintenance step, but some may still require this.