A/C problem on 3650BH

Medic403

I am wondering if anyone else has had the problem with their A/C that I have had? The rear A/C unit on my Gateway 3650BH has gone out again. This will be the third time the rear A/C unit has gone out in two and a half years. It has been covered under warranty every time but this time my original 2yr warranty ran out in January. Dometic is going to send another unit this time but I have to cover the labor. I just don't see how I could have 3 defective units and what bothers me more than that, is if I follow the history, I will have to replace this unit next summer. I think this might be a design problem and would like to see if anyone else has had this problem?

danemayer

You should call Dometic back. They have acknowledged to many people that when they moved production to China about 2 years ago, the units produced there had a high failure rate. Quite a few people had multiple replacements. This affected the entire RV industry. In my opinion, having put customers through repetitive replacements, the appropriate response would be to cover the full cost of fixing the problem.

The unknown part is whether the latest failure has anything to do with the China production issue. But in my opinion, after 3 defective units, even if it doesn't fall into the known problem category, they should do everything possible to minimize your inconvenience and expense.

You might ask them if they have a special program covering A/C failures.

Bones

What exactly failed and did you have to send the trailer to a service center to determine that?

carl.swoyer

I have 2012 landmark Rushmore and I have had 5 AC system replaced. Thank God for extended warranty.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Medic403

What exactly failed and did you have to send the trailer to a service center to determine that?
I don't know what failed, the first and third time the coil iced up which means there is air rustication across the coil or low freon but the second time it just quit cooling. The first time it happened I took the trailer back to the dealership but that is about a 3 hour drive, so the second time I called Dometic and they gave me the name of a service center close to me that does warranty work for Dometic.

- - - Updated - - -

That is crazy, I don't think you should have to use an extended warranty when there is a known problem. I didn't pay this kind of money for a camper to put a new A/C unit on it every year.

justafordguy

I'm on my 5th rear A/C unit on my 2015 3650BH. This last time it was replaced with a different model. Dometic has been great to work with but 5 AC units in a year and a half is crazy. I have my fingers crossed this current one will last.

Also, be sure to buy an extended warranty from Dometic, it's cheap and well worth it as you can see.