A stinking black tank! Puke!

slaytop

Chopper,
I think the problem is solids accumulating in the relatively flat tank just under the toilet drain that aren't touched by the factory installed flusher. You need to get fluids up under the toilet to flush that area and move it out the drain. It is possible to use a hose and an attachment down the toilet to break the solids loose but it is something that most of us would not want to do.

The other factor is to use plenty of fluids when flushing to move the solids away from the toilet drain while the trailer is in use but I feel that the strength of the water flush is too weak to do that effectively. Perhaps a second flusher needs to be installed to reach the area under the toilet drain.

I thought my tank was drained after the rally but found that solids under the toilet drain would not move after repeated flushing with the flusher in the dock. The only way I could clear it out was by going down through the toilet itself with a strong water sprayer on a hose.
Larry

ChopperBill

Hey Trap! You ole rascal, nice to hear from you again. This Calgon is non existing in this area. Been to every place in town to no avail. Our water is very soft here so that may be why I cant find it. Saw some on the internet but they want 3 times the required shipping.

Trap

If you can find some on one of your trips buy a bunch, you won't regret it.;)

Trap

ChopperBill said:
Hey Trap! You ole rascal, nice to hear from you again. This Calgon is non existing in this area. Been to every place in town to no avail. Our water is very soft here so that may be why I cant find it. Saw some on the internet but they want 3 times the required shipping.

Have any of you guys tried the "2 bags of Ice" method? After dumping stop and buy two bags of ice and dump into tank. The trip home moves the ice around the tank breaking up any solids. Just need a place to do one more flush of the tank. Then add water and chemicals for storage. Was recommended by my service manager and I have heard others having success with it. We will be using this method with our BC.

ChopperBill

I think the problem is there is a dipidee do in the bottom of these tanks before the drain valve where, for lack of better wording, yesterdays breakfast sits. And it cant get out. Ice floating on the top wouldn't loosen it up. I think ya need to blast it out from the top.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
To Quote Chopper Bill post # 6
"one of the reasons I picked the Bighorn is because of the size of the tanks and we do a lot of dry camping"
When we drained our previous trailer SOB the tank was V shaped at bottom and drained very quickly.
Three of the reasons we picked Bighorn were:
1. Size of tanks. We have filling and drain problems.
2. Constructions of plumbing with no T connectors . No longer construction method used
3. Insulation. Seems good

I sure hope I don't find something different about the insulation at least we got have 1 of 3

Having said that we still love our BH and these problems can be addressed. I am definitely going to try the water softener and soap method.
Regards
Wayne

svd

I bought one of those whirly-gig vents for the top of the black tank vent from CW (have to spend $100 for free shipping, right?) and when I got on the roof, I wasn't positive which vent it is. I have one in front of the bathroom vent fan, and one in front of the refrigerator vent stack. While you would think the answer is obvious, I couldn't tell by smell. I have to trim the existing pipe shroud for the new vent, so I want to be sure. Anyone know which one it is for sure?

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We Just returned from a week with three grandkids! I tried the Calgon Water Softener Powder. I am still shaking my head as to what a Huge difference it made I will use it all the time in future.
In our area I am having trouble to find it. I can get 1 kg Calgon Powder for $7.20 you can buy 40 kgs bags of water softener pellets for $6.49 at the same store. I know powder works really good and the Pellets would be a lot harder to dissolve. My questions is would the salt pellets do the same job as the Powder?
Is there a store in US where I can buy Powder in larger bags?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Wayne

Uncle Rog

After reading about the Calgon protocol and the ice cube technique I am going to try the salt pellets and laundry soap together. The salt pellets would disolve after a while and would be a slight abrasive with natural road agitation working in concert with the soap......

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Uncle Rog said:
After reading about the Calgon protocol and the ice cube technique I am going to try the salt pellets and laundry soap together. The salt pellets would disolve after a while and would be a slight abrasive with natural road agitation working in concert with the soap......
Salt used in water softeners does not directly soften the water but is used to regenerate the resin beads in the softener. The beads actually soften the water by removing hard water ions, calcium, magnesium and iron.----Ken

Forrest Fetherolf

Has anyone tried ex-lax and coarse steel wool with their salad, the ex-lax will break down the solids and the steel wool will clean the plumbing pipes(intestines and holding tank). Colonoscopy's could be cut to a minimum and the holding tank would empty easier and smell better.

Uncle Rog

Thanks Ken, I checked out the process after posting. About all I would be doing is sloshing around salty ice cubes and soap......

HappyKayakers

Hey Forrest,
Your sense of humor must change with the seasons. I don't remember you being this funny when there was snow on the ground :eek:

Joe

Uncle Rog

Now Forrest has come up with an idea, not a great idea, but an idea none the less. I for one am going to try the Calgon and soap, if I ever find Calgon........

HappyKayakers

Uncle Rog said:
Now Forrest has come up with an idea, not a great idea, but an idea none the less. I for one am going to try the Calgon and soap, if I ever find Calgon........

I find Calgon routinely in military commissaries. Think I also found it once in an Albertson's.

katkens

I have found that in my area we can't find the powdered Calgon but the liquid is easier for us to find. Wally Worlds near us carry the liquid and you don't have to dissolve it. Wally World might even stock it in your area if you ask.........Ken

ChopperBill

FF, has some good ideas! But the real secret for us seniors is Metamucil. Taken in a daily dosage will make your black tank flow like a mountain stream.

katkens

ChopperBill said:
FF, has some good ideas! But the real secret for us seniors is Metamucil. Taken in a daily dosage will make your black tank flow like a mountain stream.
Good one ChopperBill , Ken and I laughed our behinds off.:D Kathy