A stinking black tank! Puke!

Forrest Fetherolf

So, if you think the ex-lax and steel wool is to harsh................I found the attached "20 Mule Team Borax" 4 lb box @ the local grocery store for about $4.50 right next to the 32 oz Calgon for 6.99. It is a water softener, etc.

I tested it in a glass of water and it sure is slippery. When I tested it at home in the toilet and flushed, it launched a brown solid object with such force, it blew off the sewer manhole cover 50 yards away. Use caution when pulling the "T" handle. :D :D :D

Forrest

Attachments

• Borax.jpg
    Borax.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 15
  • borax.pdf
    128.6 KB · Views: 14

Uncle Rog

The largest Borax deposit that comes to mind is in Death Valley, my favorite campsite, five months of the year. The last weekend in March / first of April is hard to beat!!!!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Roger
The largest Borax mine is right outside Born in the Mahove desert. The pit is 1800 ft deep, mile wide and a mile and a hlf long. They have an interpitive center up on the slag heap. We were there a couple of years ago. They even had room for the trailer up yhere. Real interesting place. Borax is used in lots of things other than soap...

Uncle Rog

Forrest, let us know how the Borax works after a trial run, so too speak. It seems to me that it might be a little heavy to stay in suspension with out some kind of agitation and settle to the bottom of the tank.....

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I wrote to Yahoo Questions re Borax, Calgon and Salt pellets. I have received some answer. I thought I would share answers for what they are worth. Interesting I thought.
Regards
Wayne

Subject: Re: Borax

Borax is a precipitating water softener so you can use that instead. Calgon is a non-precipitating softener. The difference is that minerals removed by borax can build up as limescale. Calgon won't do that. Also borax is a bit alkaline so it is a bit more harsh on clothes.

Subject: Re: Borax
Precipitate means that it removes the hardness in the water by taking it out of solution. It ends up turning the water cloudy. This makes the water nice and soft and the soap doesn't fight with the hardness. But the minerals can settle as a deposit.

Calgon works in a very different way. It locks up the hardness in big polymer molecules that keep it in the solution so it can't be deposited. It is also better at breaking down deposits.

So Borax is great if you want a nice wash. Calgon is better as it won't put deposits to your machine.

Salt pellets are used in water softening machines, you must not add them like borax or Calgon.

The way it works in a machine is that water is run through a resin that captures the minerals that cause the hardness. The resin eventually fills up and can't absorb any more and the resin needs regeneration. Then salt water is run through the resin which displaces the minerals. This runs them out into the drain. Then clean water is passed through the resin to wash out the salt and you can use it again. Then you wouldn't need Calgon or borax.

http://www.reopure.com/RVsoftener.html

Forrest Fetherolf

wfwilson,

Good info on Calgon and Borax. My only question, would the deposits generated by Borax cling to the holding tank walls and drains or could they be flushed out during the next dumping? If they don't stick, the cost difference between Calgon and Borax is significant.......Borax 4 lbs for $4.50 vs Calgon 32 oz for $6.99 (if you can find Calgon). I'll give the Borax a try and see what happens.

Maybe I can get Karen to volunteer to do an internal tank inspection for me......YUK :eek:

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Forrest et al, Borax at Wally World was $2.19 for four #'s down the street...nothing creates that many deposits.................

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger,

Good find.............I bet you bought some Borax for your potty, too. I shop at the same high quality stores as you do, now I know where to go and save an additional $2.31, after that a short trip to Mickey-D's to spend the money saved..........................Yum-Yum! :D :D :D

Forrest