AC air flow problem SOLVED

jpajax

I have a 2010 3410re BH with a carrier ac. The problem I found with the air flow was the foam that goes between the intake and discharge had fallen out. It seems that the new units with the laminated roof are thicker and the ac units are not designed for the extra depth. Had too build up the foam and tape it in place. It improved flow by at least 90%. Also found that in the bedroom from the last register there is over 8 ft to the end of duct work and about 5 ft on the living room end. Does this seem too be a little too far? I am still going to try the tent mod.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have a 2010 3410re BH with a carrier ac. The problem I found with the air flow was the foam that goes between the intake and discharge had fallen out. It seems that the new units with the laminated roof are thicker and the ac units are not designed for the extra depth. Had too build up the foam and tape it in place. It improved flow by at least 90%. Also found that in the bedroom from the last register there is over 8 ft to the end of duct work and about 5 ft on the living room end. Does this seem too be a little too far? I am still going to try the tent mod.
Jim, something most of us have done was to block off the area beyond the last vent in the "run" and use aluminum flashing tape to direct the air flow out the vent. Another great improvement.

jpajax

Thanks for your reply I read in this post that there should be a buffer left be hind the vent. How far behind the last vent did you put the block?

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for your reply I read in this post that there should be a buffer left be hind the vent. How far behind the last vent did you put the block?
I thought I had some pictures of my vents but can't find anything. I used the flashing tape and taped from the top of the duct right down out the vent opening. I removed the vents from the ceiling first and replaced after running the tape out to the edge of the hole in the ceiling. I've not heard of having a "Buffer". The method I use directs the airflow right out into the coach. I didn't see any point in having air flow past the last vent in the duct and have it hit a dead end... I did this mod to all of the vents that were the last in each run. 2 in the LR, 1 in the stool room and one in the BR.

jpajax

On the 2010 all the vents are in line and run off the same duct. I cut a peace off cardboard that is the same size as duct and going to place it in duct just past last vent will see if it makes a difference.

Ray LeTourneau

On the 2010 all the vents are in line and run off the same duct. I cut a peace off cardboard that is the same size as duct and going to place it in duct just past last vent will see if it makes a difference.
I drew a picture and scanned it. You know that picture worth a thousand word deal right...

Attachments

• duct flow.jpg
    duct flow.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 349

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Just a thought. We are in Silver Springs FL. My thermostat out side said the temp under the front of the trailer by the pin box is 106*. Temp inside is 85. This is warm for us, but it is a 20* differential. I think that is good. I do not have the tent installed in my A/C. At this amount of heat we open the vent on the A/C to allow the air blow straight down. We turn on the celing fan, the A/C in the BR and place a large fan on the floor. We are comfortable with all the moving air. It is hot outside.

If I had the tent installed in my A/C I could only get a portion of the air into the living room and I don't think it would have been cool enough in the living room.

BTW.. We are heading north tomorrow. Just wanted to go to Key West while we had the chance.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Just a thought. We are in Silver Springs FL. My thermostat out side said the temp under the front of the trailer by the pin box is 106*. Temp inside is 85. This is warm for us, but it is a 20* differential. I think that is good. I do not have the tent installed in my A/C. At this amount of heat we open the vent on the A/C to allow the air blow straight down. We turn on the celing fan, the A/C in the BR and place a large fan on the floor. We are comfortable with all the moving air. It is hot outside.

If I had the tent installed in my A/C I could only get a portion of the air into the living room and I don't think it would have been cool enough in the living room.

BTW.. We are heading north tomorrow. Just wanted to go to Key West while we had the chance.

BC
Bobcat, If we get together as discussed via e-mail, I will help you with the tent. BTW, it doesn't affect the flow direction from front to rear. It directs the flow to the sides of the a/c into the ducts. The next trick is to get the air flow out of the ducts and into the rooms. We can "git er dun".

I have a 2011 North Trail 31BDSS and would like to know how one removes the A/C vents from the ceiling?

There is thepart that looks permanently mounted and the piece that rotates. The rotating piece has four small opening around the edges. Do I need to pry at these four openings? sorry , should have taken a picture last weekend.

Thanks in advance.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have unabashedly gone through all 149 posts in this thread, pirated all the photos and diagrams, along with some of the instructional text and made it into a single Word file on my hard drive. I have no guilt, or morals for that matter.

jimtoo

I have unabashedly gone through all 149 posts in this thread, pirated all the photos and diagrams, along with some of the instructional text and made it into a single Word file on my hard drive. I have no guilt, or morals for that matter.
Why did you wait so long to join the club???:D Or.... are you just now feeling guilty and confessing???:D

On second thought,,, which is rare for me.... maybe Jim could post what you put together in the HOOT section. Maybe it would make it easier for some of the folks to do the mod. That is if you would share what you have pirated and worked to compile. :D

Jim M

JohnDar

Why did you wait so long to join the club???:D Or.... are you just now feeling guilty and confessing???:D

Which club?? The Guiltless Club, or the No Moral Character one? I've been a card carrying member of both for as long as I can remember. I'm also a charter member of the "Oogling Other Women (when the wife ain't looking) Club."

Honestly, last season in northern Michigan, I don't think we used the A/C more than a handfull of days over the whole summer. While we were at the rig a couple of weeks ago, we ran it for four days in a row (and iced the condenser up). Kept the rig reasonably comfortable, but the airflow could have been a lot better. Then we had to go back to the furnace when the temps dropped like a rock the following week. So methinks it's time to at least check the ducts and maybe do the Timk tent mod. Think I might look at a short (6") extension for the ceiling fan, too. If that interferes with the slide retraction, I'll just remove a couple of blades when I need to. Most ceiling fan blades are held on by only two screws, anyways.

jpajax

You need to pry at the small opening with your finger tips. I wouldn't use anything else It might mark or poke a hole in celling. Hope this helps.

JohnDar

On second thought,,, which is rare for me.... maybe Jim could post what you put together in the HOOT section. Maybe it would make it easier for some of the folks to do the mod. That is if you would share what you have pirated and worked to compile. :D

Jim M

Sure, no problem. Half the photos are his, anyways.

RollingHome

Missing AC baffle picture. This is the baffle which separates the return & supply of my AC. It was missing as delivered from HL. The ducted air was non-existant, it wouldn't even blow out a match in the BR. Midway RV's tech had to put it in and he then put aluminized duct tape on the bottom. Without this baffle the AC sucks the cool supplied air right back into the return plenum. If you drop your filter section like I did in the photo and you can feel cool supplied air you may be missing the baffle too. Now I am happy to be baffled. TomView attachment 9011

RollingHome

John, you are looking into the return plenum. I removed the plastic eggshell grid which has the foam filter attached. The return plenum is only seperated from the supply plenum (where I think the "TENT GOES") by the sheet metal baffle which was missing. Any questions hit me back. Tom

JohnDar

John, it's not your PC, I've had this before. try this -> //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=9011

Tom, no joy on that, either. Doesn't even pop up the "contact the administrator" message. This always seems to happen to me when someone's photos show up as a numbered attachment. Your's is Attachment 9011.

We'll be back to the BH (sounds like a movie title) next week. I plan to pull the cover and have a peek at mine. Stuff like this keeps the wife asking, "Will you ever relax?"

RollingHome

John, sounds like your wife and my wife were popped from the same mold ! In reality, getting the pics was a big deal and it took it's toll (ouch, my back)... I want to believe I'm the 20 YO stud, instead I'm the 58 YO dud ! Even without pics, here's what ya want. total separation between in and out (supply/return) on your AC. If ya don't have it, it is not right. I had to sneak the "investigation" (i.e. photo) while Patti was at work. Fortunately, she doesn't check this forum so my bacon is safe... Just pop your plastic cover off on the return (you will have a foam filter). If the plenum is open to the supply - you're missing your baffle. The supply and return must be mechanically seperated. If it's there, as your wifey pooh says "Relax Dude"... I hate to admit it, "THEY" (DW) are often right ! We need to relax !