AC air flow problem SOLVED

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Oh, come on. 58 yo dud? Why you're just a "kid." I'm pushing 62 and spent six hours yesterday doing RIC (rapid intervention crew) exercises, including teaching a "new" technique I found. I'm afraid that if I stop moving somebody will try to toss dirt in my face. Got a rope rescue exercise tomorrow at a nearby GM plant.

But I'll be ready for a couple of weeks of goofing off, so to speak, come this weekend.

jpajax

Yes it is what keeps the intake from the output. Now I have a Carrier AC but all ac are built with the same design. The first photo shows the peace of foam that was out of place the second one is the baffle that separates the two opening. Be careful when you bolt it back in place don't over tighten, you want to see the gasket seal between the ac unit and the roof to be compressed about 60% of it thickness. The baffle is suppose to be screwed to bottom half of unit so you have remove to get too the baffle. Hope this is not confusing. Kinda got the cart before the horse.

RollingHome

It would help to know I have a low profile Dometic Heat pump/AC unit. It may be different from yours but I'm sure all these compact RV type HVAC units have this baffle because of similiarities of size.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yes it is what keeps the intake from the output. Now I have a Carrier AC but all ac are built with the same design. The first photo shows the peace of foam that was out of place the second one is the baffle that separates the two opening. Be careful when you bolt it back in place don't over tighten, you want to see the gasket seal between the ac unit and the roof to be compressed about 60% of it thickness. The baffle is suppose to be screwed to bottom half of unit so you have remove to get too the baffle. Hope this is not confusing. Kinda got the cart before the horse.

Thanks, Jim. Gives me an idea of what to look at. I've added your photos to my collection.

Overall, ours seems to cool the rig down pretty good for our location, even if it's not an arctic blast in the bedroom. But, I gotta look and tinker, anyways. As dear old Dad used to say, "What's the matter with you, have you got ants in your pants?" Then he'd mutter something in Polish that might have had something to do with my lineage.

Well, I have read all 166 posts, took me about 1.5 hours. timk diagram will be a help. Wanted to clarify the air duct system in my 3055. The way I believe it lays out. ODS duct branches (left runs to the bedroom (2 vents) and right to the living room (3 vents). DS duct branches (left goes to vent above door and bathroom and right goes to the entertainment vent). As many have done, I have blocked off the run after the last bedroom vent, the last living room vent, and the only entertainment vent. I need to relook at the bathroom vent to make sure that vent run is blocked off. There is no connection between the last living room vent and the entertainment vent (in other words, the run doesn't continue from the last living room vent to the entertainment vent, is that correct? Anyway, after blocking after the last vent as stated earlier, I get very little air out of the last two living room vents. Other vents are OK but not terrific. Once I look down the runs with a flashlight and mirror to see if they are clear, I will install the timk invention. Before I did that, just wanted to make sure my thinking of the duct runs was correct.

Had my right and left in reverse on my earlier post. Right run on ODS goes to bedroom and left run goes to living area. Also, I cleaned up the area above each vent for anything that might restrict flow. Thanks.

RVFun4Us

Today, I used the flashlight/mirror combination to insure the ducts were all open. No problem there. Then separated the output air from the intake today inside the AC unit by taping a few areas. Also did taping inside the output, then put in the timk mod. Wow, what a difference in air flow. Yesterday I had minimal flow into the living room. Today, good flow there, excellent flow at the entertainment slide and bedroom. We all know the bathroom is no problem. Then experimented turning on and off the main AC duct (quick cool) to compare the difference. Actually, it surprised me that I still had good flow to the other vents when the main AC vent was open. Granted, it is about half the size with the timk mod installed. So I will probably just leave that one open and along with the other vents, hoping for cool times ahead in the campgrounds.

SmokeyBare

RVFun4Us,

One last place to check. As you mentioned about the bathroom. If the bathroom vent in your 3055 is anything like our 3400... the A/C duct ends at the ceiling fan location. I took apart the plastic trim on the Bath Fan ceiling vent. It was there I discovered the tape at the end of that duct was leaking air. That leak helped add more air into the bathroom as well as some going wasted into the attic space. Soooo when you take the time to clean the bath fan screen, have handy that foil duct tape and seal the end of the A/C duct.

Marv

porthole

Retired
I have unabashedly gone through all 149 posts in this thread, pirated all the photos and diagrams, along with some of the instructional text and made it into a single Word file on my hard drive. I have no guilt, or morals for that matter.

want to email the file? This is on the project list this week.

jbeletti

Re: Second A/C

Attached is a PDF version of the Word document John compiled from forum posts.

Attachments

• Compiled_Air_Con_Mods_b.pdf
    891.6 KB · Views: 1,025
Last edited by a moderator:

RollingHome

Thanks to everyone I saved this file to my BH file. Jim B, you originally cut the sheet metal 19" and it was too short. You then taped an extension on. How long do you think your final piece was ? I intend to do this mod and it looks like a piece of light weight aluminum (flashing maybe) will work. It looks like I need a piece 3" wide by ? long. Don't worry about being wrong a guess is better then no knowledge which I have now. In advance thanks. Tom

sjrellis

Jim finally did this a few weeks ago...wow O wow! We can actually FEEL air coming out of the vents! When I told him about this (for 2 years now!), I think he was quite skeptical about it working. I'm so glad it did, so i could say..."told ya so"! THANKS!!!

jbeletti

Thanks to everyone I saved this file to my BH file. Jim B, you originally cut the sheet metal 19" and it was too short. You then taped an extension on. How long do you think your final piece was ? I intend to do this mod and it looks like a piece of light weight aluminum (flashing maybe) will work. It looks like I need a piece 3" wide by ? long. Don't worry about being wrong a guess is better then no knowledge which I have now. In advance thanks. Tom

Tom - been years now - I forget :) I am guessing short by no more than a couple inches. Add 3 to be safe, bend it in the middle and trim off both ends until you are happy.

Jim

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Just take a beer / soda can cut the top / bottom out and split it. Then lay flat put a layer of foil tape on it and bend to shape , tape in place. I had to play with shape a little to get right flow I wanted to the rear of rig the effort is well worth it.....Kenny

RollingHome

I'll try that Ken, thanks ! However, I hope I keep messing up and have to keep opening another can to try again. I figure if I do it enough times I will prove the law of diminishing returns, this should occur about the sixth can. What type soda do you recommend ?

Tom

PS seriously, I will try your idea, sounds simple enough.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I'll try that Ken, thanks ! However, I hope I keep messing up and have to keep opening another can to try again. I figure if I do it enough times I will prove the law of diminishing returns, this should occur about the sixth can. What type soda do you recommend ?

Tom

PS seriously, I will try your idea, sounds simple enough.

I prefer Busch Beer cans , besides there pretty. Soda cans are a last resort and don't rinse the beer can , the aroma is awesome circulating thru the rig. It will take at least a 12 pack to complete the job , it takes a few just to study how to cut the can.....Kenny