AC & Frig Power Loss

rbvett

First Time On Forum.
New 2013 3055RL. About the 15th day on road, pulled into a very nice park and plugged in 50 amp service. Turned on AC (95 degrees outside) and all went well for a few minutes, then AC quit. Breakers and fuses were fine. I disconnected shore power breaker and switched RV battery off, waited few minutes then turned both back on. AC worked fine, but noticed microwave control lights did not work. Opened microwave and interior light came on, but very dim and food turntable was rotating slowly. Checked microwave outlet and had 117 volts. Unplugged microwave as it was not safe to leave on.

Noticed frig electric was not working - again all fuses and breakers were fine. Had park maintenance check shore power and fellow stated we had normal 120 volt service and no power surges were reported.

Used propane to keep frig cold until we got home. Took RV to authorized warranty dealer (Camping World in Roseville Ca). Camping World checked converter and said it was within specs. Camping World got approval from Heartland to replace microwave and "control board and heater" on frig. Camping World service writer thinks problem is related to microwave short, but that sounds bogus to me as we were not using the microwave when we lost power.

Would appreciate any recommendations from those of you with similar experiences, or knowledge of these type problems.

rbvett (Ron)

danemayer

Hi rbvett,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There are a lot of helpful people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Multiple appliances suddenly failing at the same time, on different circuit breakers sounds like a problem at the power source. Was your power cord secure at both ends?

Ask the dealer to check the incoming power connections and transfer switch if you have generator prep.

Time to buy an electrical management system/surge protector. In addition to surges, they protect against low or high voltage which are very common, as well as pedestal wiring problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikeandconnie

We arrived at a park in Northern California a few months ago and our microwave was doing the same thing yours did. Frigidaire sent a tech to our door the next day and discovered the control board was fried. He replaced it under warranty and suggested we unplug the microwave anytime before we plug/unplug shore power. He said the boards our very sensitive and doesn't take much to spark them.He also suggested we unplug the TV for the same reasons. We have 3 TV's in our Landmark, so I installed a onboard surge protector the next day.

PS: I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 mainly because it's Made in the USA and was recommended on the forum.

Here a link //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/33712-Advice-on-surge-protectors?highlight=surge+protector

Last edited:

wdk450

I would suggest you look at the "Open Neutral" section on this website: http://www.myrv.us/electric/index.htm

First Time On Forum.
New 2013 3055RL. About the 15th day on road, pulled into a very nice park and plugged in 50 amp service. Turned on AC (95 degrees outside) and all went well for a few minutes, then AC quit. Breakers and fuses were fine. I disconnected shore power breaker and switched RV battery off, waited few minutes then turned both back on. AC worked fine, but noticed microwave control lights did not work. Opened microwave and interior light came on, but very dim and food turntable was rotating slowly. Checked microwave outlet and had 117 volts. Unplugged microwave as it was not safe to leave on.

Noticed frig electric was not working - again all fuses and breakers were fine. Had park maintenance check shore power and fellow stated we had normal 120 volt service and no power surges were reported.

Used propane to keep frig cold until we got home. Took RV to authorized warranty dealer (Camping World in Roseville Ca). Camping World checked converter and said it was within specs. Camping World got approval from Heartland to replace microwave and "control board and heater" on frig. Camping World service writer thinks problem is related to microwave short, but that sounds bogus to me as we were not using the microwave when we lost power.

Would appreciate any recommendations from those of you with similar experiences, or knowledge of these type problems.

rbvett (Ron)

rbvett

Thank you to those that responded.

I ordered a Progressive HW50C EMS before I posted my article and it is being installed this week - don't want anymore of these kind of problems.

To "mikeandconnie" post - I thought it was better to go to an authorized Heartland dealer for the warranty work since they could check the entire system for problems. Having the microwave and frig repaired individually would not prevent future problems if I have a defective power cord, or other electrical issue. The RV has a list of suppliers posted in the closet as you enter the RV, and it is interesting that your post stated that Frigidaire sent a tech out so quick - that is great service. For individual problems I will definitely use the supplier list in the future - thank you for the tip.

To "WDK450" post - I checked the 50 Amp power cord for continuity. Both hots, the neutral and ground show continuity. The two hots and the neutral do wiggle a tad, but still show continuity, and Heartland Tech Support says the small amount of wiggle will not cause me to loose the neutral.

I will include my email below in case other Forum members want to contact me outside the Forum with additional advise or questions. It is extremely useful to share experiences with other RVers and sometimes the phone is the best way to carry on dialog, so if you would like to talk, please email me with your phone number and I will call.

Thanks again to all,
Ron
rbvett@yahoo.com
2013 3055RL
2012 Silverado HD2500 Turbo Diesel/Allison 6 Speed