Added old alarm panel and sensors to the RV, couldn't help myself. Go Control is the panel.

marknewbill

Hi all,
I recently upgraded my home security system and asked to keep the old parts. I looked at that panel on the table too long and decided it would work in the camper!

I removed the cellular radio since it was no longer my active alarm panel. I deleted the sensors from the house. I added a front door sensor for proof of concept and mounted the panel. it did not need the 14V adapter, i just wired it straight to the house battery supply. easy since I chose a wall pre-wired.

I then mounted the door sensor. programed the panel and it works great. nice noise maker to wake us up in case of uninvited guest. I also plan to put more sensors on the outside kitchen and storage areas. this way we can hear an announcement if the doors are opened. (think outside beer fridge)

I have never had any security issues at camp, but you never know. and since it was free, just some effort, I though why not.

also to note, on the old 2GIG panel and sensors, they are one way communicators, so they can be double registered on 2 different systems. in this way, when the camper is home, I can monitor the sensors also in the house that will dial the police in case of trouble.
Its also really cool to have the optional ding dong door entry sounds! lol.

see picture attached.alarm.jpg

marknewbill

I now have a door sensor at every storage location on the outside and the front door. The system will tell whomever is inside if for some reason any outside compartment is opened, and identifies which compartment it is in the audible voice. its also a added measure of security when you leave camp for some excursion to be able to set the alarm and know that nobody or no thing has been in your stuff while you were away- or possibly still there.

I realize most campers are not that type, but you never know who may come in and target the next victim for simple theft. and the siren will at least annoy your good neighbors that may come outside and see what is going on and scare away the thief.

Flick

I now have a door sensor at every storage location on the outside and the front door. The system will tell whomever is inside if for some reason any outside compartment is opened, and identifies which compartment it is in the audible voice. its also a added measure of security when you leave camp for some excursion to be able to set the alarm and know that nobody or no thing has been in your stuff while you were away- or possibly still there.

I realize most campers are not that type, but you never know who may come in and target the next victim for simple theft. and the siren will at least annoy your good neighbors that may come outside and see what is going on and scare away the thief.

That’s quite an endeavor. Does the siren eventually cut off?

jbeletti

Cool project! Are you into Home Automation as well? I'm running Home Assistant at home and in the RV. Fun stuff :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice! We use SimpliSafe which is great for the Rv, with water sensors, freeze sensors, door/window/compartment sensors, cameras, motion sensors, glass break detectors, smoke and CO detectors. Not cheap to invest in all its options, but totally customizable as to what you want to use. Control unit uses its own wifi signal so if you pay for the plan, you can get alerts and calls when anything triggers. I just make a simple address change online when we travel. The best thing is that they are fast to respond to an alarm... I mean within 5 seconds of a water leak notification text from my base station, a live person called me to tell me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk