Adding a Generator to a 3270RE

SHerrick

When we bought our Bighorn, it did not have a generator, nor was it prepped for one. We want one. We want to have a 6500 Watt Onan installed. Has anybody else had a generator installed, and if so, by whom? I would really appreciate any recommendations anybody can give.

Thanks!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes it can be done at a cost that you may not like. So unless you are going to a lot of dry camping. May I suggest you buy a portable sinewave genset of around 3-3.5K. There are lots of good brands out there.

Wmnmy

I carry two Ryobi 2200 watt generators in our 3270rs . I got them from Home Depot and they are not loud at all I parrelel them and I am able to run one Ac and TV or microwave . I use a 30 amp dog bone to 50 amp connector . I store them in the front storage area and they have two handles for easy pick up and a luggage handle to pull on small wheels . They work for me some like the two 2000 watt Hondas but I got these two for the price of one Honda and I like it a lot .

MIKEGELLO

I mounted a slide tray in my generator prepped front compartment. I mounted a Honda eu3000 on tray. Wired a plug end into the junction box. Works great, quiet and fuel efficient. I mounted the generator with the control side in so that the exhaust blows out toward the front of coach. This is all great providing your only using it parked!!
Btw it does run 1 of my 15k a/c units with no problem.

Mike

sjandbj

I mounted a slide tray in my generator prepped front compartment. I mounted a Honda eu3000 on tray. Wired a plug end into the junction box. Works great, quiet and fuel efficient. I mounted the generator with the control side in so that the exhaust blows out toward the front of coach. This is all great providing your only using it parked!!
Btw it does run 1 of my 15k a/c units with no problem.

Mike

Mike,
Can you post a couple of pictures of your set up here. I would like to see how the works.

Regards,
Steve

MIKEGELLO

Also the only reason I used Honda was cause I already had it or I probably would have used Yamaha ef3000 boost model for the extra 500 what kick at high load start up.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had a Onan 5500 installed in my Landmark 365 at the dealer.
At first they wanted $9000. Until I pointed out that it was allready pre wired with the fire box, start switch/control center, transfer switch. Everything but the Generator and exhaust. I got them down to $6000 a much better deal. The generator is a must in my book. I will never go without one installed again. Anytime I need power, just push the button. I don't need to get dressed and go outside and try to start a cold gen.
Then after all of that I added 320watts of solar and 2000watt inverter to run everything except the A/C's.. Another $5000 and now my generator is sleeping and waiting for something to do. But its there when I need it. I love my setup, it doesn't get any better than that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I
Then after all of that I added 320watts of solar and 2000watt inverter to run everything except the A/C's.. Another $5000 ..........

Respectfully, I think you need to shop around on pricing before going back to your dealer. I have 4 120w solar panels, 40amp MPPT controller and 3000w Go Power Pure Sine Wave Inverter....all for $3000. The inverter alone was $1000 from Amazon.
[h=1][/h]

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes you can defiantly find a better deal out there. They had first priced my 320 Go power kit at $3700 then I found it online at $2700 and they matched it. Then that kit only comes with a 30amp transfer switch and I needed a 50amp, another $350 and so parts and labor at $110 an hour, it was just under $5000 there might have been a few more things in there I'm forgetting.