Adding Heat Pumps to Existing A/C units

genep777

I have a 2015 BH 3160 EL, with 2 a/c units. Neither of these Dometic units have heat pumps. Can this be added easily and inexpensively?

Rhyph

I have a 2015 BH 3160 EL, with 2 a/c units. Neither of these Dometic units have heat pumps. Can this be added easily and inexpensively?

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but only if you quantify "inexpensive" as being ok with the cost of fully replacing each A/C unit on the roof (and labor if not DIY). It is not an add-on component like a traditional heat strip, so the entire A/C unit has to be replaced. They use a different compressor and reversible valves to attain the ability to generate heat while basically running in reverse.

IronJ

What he said...though you may consider adding heat strips to your existing a/c units....or even the cheap heat mod to your furnace....either would still be cheaper..and at least a heat strip would work in extreme cold better....heat pumps don't pump heat well when it's real cold out..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

genep777

You are correct, I am not ok with replacing the a/c units, but I appreciate your frank reply. Thanks and I will move along to my next project. Donald Peters

- - - Updated - - -

What he said...though you may consider adding heat strips to your existing a/c units....or even the cheap heat mod to your furnace....either would still be cheaper..and at least a heat strip would work in extreme cold better....heat pumps don't pump heat well when it's real cold out..

Thanks for your additional suggestions. Donald Peters

IronJ

A lot of ac already have the connectors for the heat strips...so the install is plug and play....although you would need thermostats with heat strip option....

We have them on our th ac in garage and bedroom...they actually work pretty good to mid/low 40s....hardly ever run the furnace at those temps

IronJ

Thank you for the additional explanation IronJ
No problem I hope you figure out what works best for you...

We have the strips as well as a small infrared heater we keep in living room...that combo works well and relegates the furnace to sub 40 nights only and even then only in short bursts

Jeremy

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious, does anyone have heat strips in a Whisper Quiet system? If so, was it dealer installed, and what changes were made (different thermostat?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

genep777

Thank you . I see that you are from Texas, do you ever get down to the Pioneer RV park in Port A? Even though we reside in Western Australia, we are from Central Texas ans stay each year at Port A - months of October and November.

jimtoo

I'm not to far from Port A, and there is a winter Texan group of Heartlanders that always gets together down there every winter.

Jim M

TravelTiger

We are in Cisco, on I-20 between Abilene & Weatherford. Have not been to Port Aransas. Still working, so not able to get away as much as we like!

Be sure to consider joining fellow Texans at a rally or two! There's quite a few in the fall and spring.

genep777

Thanks Jimtoo. I have met a number of the winter Texans there, but none of the Heartland folks. I will look for them this year. Oct & Nov may be a little early for them however?

Gene

jimtoo

They usually start arriving first of November,, some earlier. Keep an eye on the forum and also on facebook.

Jim M

genep777

Hi Erika,

We retired in 2007. I worked 12 hrs a day for 40+ years and loved it, but I wouldn't trade retirement for any work, too busy. We moved in 2007 from Spokane, to be with our only daughter in western Australia. We travel (5th wheel) 5 months a year in USA exploring that wonderful country.

I noticed from your signature that you have a B&W companion hitch and a Reese airborne pin box. I switched out my reese for a mor-ryde pin box based on B&W's website comments. They advised against using the reese airborne sidewinder elite due to the fact that the one point attachment point might be subject to binding or twisting and could cause injury. Is your airborne also a sidewinder? Are you familiar with the more-ryde? And how would you compare the ride for the two. I kept the reese also.

Hope to see you on the road one of these days. We will be at the KOA in Abilene on our way back from AZ, NM and CO in Sept. Back to Belton lake for 8 days, then down to Port A for two months. Home base in USA is Salado TX where my sister-in-law has a small ranch.

Gene & Carolyn Peters
2008 Ford F350
2015 BigHorn 3160 EL
2014 Crusader
2011 FR VCross Plat

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Jim and thanks.

Gene Peters

TravelTiger

Hi Erika,

We retired in 2007. I worked 12 hrs a day for 40+ years and loved it, but I wouldn't trade retirement for any work, too busy. We moved in 2007 from Spokane, to be with our only daughter in western Australia. We travel (5th wheel) 5 months a year in USA exploring that wonderful country.

I noticed from your signature that you have a B&W companion hitch and a Reese airborne pin box. I switched out my reese for a mor-ryde pin box based on B&W's website comments. They advised against using the reese airborne sidewinder elite due to the fact that the one point attachment point might be subject to binding or twisting and could cause injury. Is your airborne also a sidewinder? Are you familiar with the more-ryde? And how would you compare the ride for the two. I kept the reese also.

Hope to see you on the road one of these days. We will be at the KOA in Abilene on our way back from AZ, NM and CO in Sept. Back to Belton lake for 8 days, then down to Port A for two months. Home base in USA is Salado TX where my sister-in-law has a small ranch.

Gene & Carolyn Peters
2008 Ford F350
2015 BigHorn 3160 EL
2014 Crusader
2011 FR VCross Plat

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Jim and thanks.

Gene Peters

Gene,

Ours is not the sidewinder, the 5th Airborne only. It's the only pin box we've had -- had it on our previous ElkRidge as well, so I can't compare to the Mor-Ryde.

We are just east on I-20 about an hour. Small rural park. No amenities like the KOA, but very quiet.

genep777

Thank you Erika. We are traveling with friends when in Abilene and amre on tight schedule so won't be able to check out your park this year. Hope you have a fantastic retirement when the time comes.

Bones

Hi Erika,

Gene & Carolyn Peters
2008 Ford F350
2015 BigHorn 3160 EL
2014 Crusader
2011 FR VCross Plat

- - - Updated - - -

Will do Jim and thanks.

Gene Peters
I have both. I like the MorRyde better

TravelTiger

Thank you Erika. We are traveling with friends when in Abilene and amre on tight schedule so won't be able to check out your park this year. Hope you have a fantastic retirement when the time comes.

Retirement won't be for a while, we're mid 40s!

Holler if you want to meet for a bite in Abilene. Depending on scheduling we might could work out something. There are also 2 RV dealers in Abilene that sell/service Heartland of you need anything.

Safe travels!