Adjusted The Bottom Cables On Bedroom Slide

JanAndBill

Over the last few months the bottom cables on 3260EL bedroom slide had developed some serious sag. Not sure about other models, but on our unit the adjustments and the drive mechanism is under the bed. While it's a relatively simple process, getting there took several false starts and some head scratching. For others who might want to attempt it here is a procedural list that might help.
  1. Tools required 2 - 7/16" wrenches. Phillips screw driver (powered preferred) but not necessary.
  2. Run the slide out
  3. Remove mattress
  4. Remove one end of each of the hydraulic supports from the bottom the bed (storage access). (you'll wish you had later if you don't)
  5. Remove the 4 screws attaching the front half of the bed support.
  6. Fold the front back over on the rear.
  7. You should now be able to see the gear drive.
  8. On each side of the bed frame is a short carpeted access board (vertical) that covers the mechanism outside the bed frame. There are two screws one about a couple inches in, and one next to the outside trim board. They are silver and hard to find. If you can find them great. If not pry them off and use new screws when you put them back.
  9. On each side of the bed is you'll see a bracket where (2) cables attach to the chain. In the center of this will be a bolt with an adjustment nut on the outside and a lock nut on the inside. Mine had come loose allowing a lot of slack in the chain. Once I tightened the nut to take up the slack I tightened the lock nut.
  10. Where the cables attach, behind the foam blocks is an adjustment nut. The top cable is the adjustment for the bottom cable when the slide is out. Screw the nut in until you have about a 1/2" of sag on the cable.
  11. Replace the foam blocks.
  12. Replace the carpeted access boards
  13. Replace the bed shelf
  14. Re-install the hydraulic supports.
  15. Re-install mattress
  16. Test
  17. Drink beverage of your choice.

JanAndBill

Two sets of the chains and cables will be really tight, and two will have a little slack during normal operation. Just remember you don't want to "over tighten" those with slack as a little slack is required for proper operation.

sengli

I have a question for you. I also had to take some slack out of lower cables ,so I have done the adjustment already. What purpose do you think the foam blocks have? The foam block had torn itself, and was laying on the floor under the bed when I opened mine up to adjust.

steven

jimtoo

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the good write up on adjusting the cable driven slides.

I did move thread to better area where it will be available to all.

Jim M

JanAndBill

I have a question for you. I also had to take some slack out of lower cables ,so I have done the adjustment already. What purpose do you think the foam blocks have? The foam block had torn itself, and was laying on the floor under the bed when I opened mine up to adjust.

steven

Steven, the foam blocks are "supposed" to serve as locks. In my write up, I didn't mention, that these are 3/8', but mine were loose enough that I could tighten them with my fingers. My foam blocks still fit tight on the nuts, so I'm hoping they serve their intended purpose. Without them, I'm thinking the nuts would loosen on their own, from vibration, every time the slide was put in and out.

JanAndBill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the good write up on adjusting the cable driven slides.

I did move thread to better area where it will be available to all.

Jim M

Hey Jim: Thanks for the intervention, wasn't quite sure where to put it, as It was specific to our Big Horn and Accuslide. I'm sure there are others similar but according to the manufacturer the gear drive may be at the top of the slide behind the fascia also.

dbbls59

Very good write up but a year too late for me. I had to figure it out for myself, just never thought of writing it up.