Advice on RV's parks in Florida

Hello all,

We plan on going to Florida this March and we are looking for any advice on a RV park. We are really not sure what part of Florida but southern would be best. We are looking for adult only with some activities, clubhouse, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2011 Ford F350 SRW, 4X4

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
We'll be following this thread because we are headed down there in January and plan on spending a couple of months checking out different areas of the state.

In fact, we are leaving this Friday for Columbia, SC and the South Carolina State Fair, then down to Disney World next week for the Epcot Wine and Food Festival. We'll spend a week at Ft. Wilderness Campground (very expensive but something I've had on my "bucket list" for a long time) then over to camp a week in the St. Pete Beach area to see the friends that introduced Carol and I 36 some years ago. We're going to store the rig in Largo for November and December while I head back to the North Pole for my Holiday Season duties and plan on getting it "out of hock" in time for the Tampa RV Show.

Keith

TireHobby

It would be risky to head into southern Florida in the March time frame without reservations. Some of the snow birds will start their long journey north by the end of March but not many.

I’m going to recommend the Robert’s Mobile Home & RV Resort in Saint Petersburg, FL.

Over the years we have wintered there twice. Their RV site rent is average for the area and their physical location is outstanding. The resort has a very active activities schedule with something going on all the time. Not on their activates list is their once a month golf outing to various local courses. Just a couple miles away is the old Gandy bridge which has been made into a fishing pier.

Over the years this resort has become very popular with guests from Canada, both French & English speaking and I would estimate 25% or more of the winter population to be from there. Many have purchased residential park model units and make it their winter home.

http://www.robertsrv.com/

When we last stayed there we were in site 261 on their current map. At that time there were just three sites where there are now five. The picture below was taken from that site.

No one would call this a first class RV parking area. But, they can handle any size rig, their utilities are very good and the location, amount of activities and near by attractions make it a desirable location once you have checked it out.

All of the owners and managers live on the property.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12380

TireHobby

Well with Florida being a large State, North to South , I guess it would have been better to provide more details.

We are going this March to just have a look at RV parks where we want to stay from December to March each year. The part of Florida really doesn't matter as long as it will be in a warm area during that time as well as being a adult only park, with a club house and activities.

I was thinking more in the south, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2011 Ford F350 SRW, 4X4

As you know there is a huge difference in parks, many have paved sites and others are gravel or even grass. Here is just a couple of parks I can recommend. Again, it's difficult to know your desires in a park; a warm area to you may be somewhat cool to others. All three links show parks that are very nice and have activities of all kinds.

http://rainbowvillagerv.com/ http://oldemillstreamrvresort.com/ http://www.fl-resorts-review.com/?n=buttonwood+bay+rv+resort+(retirement)&id=409666&t=hotel

When you look at the last link, be sure to view the bottom of the page where it says "Browse Florida resorts by region". This also allows you to find hotels, B&B's, resorts, etc.

Happy searching!!:)

Wes

HI,

You could check out an RV resort named Buttonwood Bay which is in the center of the state near Sebring, FL. The park is on a lake, has a recreation hall with activities, and is very nice. If you have never stayed there before, you can get in for the month of January or March for $270.00 for the month. It is probably too late for this year, but you could try for 2013. GOOD LUCK!
Joann & Dan Stubbins

Theresau

We're interested as well - our plan was to go next March for the month and plan for the next year. Sounds like we need to make reservations now???

Theresa

57chevyconvt

Thinking about spending the month of December in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Any recomendations for a park in this area? Or is it to late to even think about finding something this late in the game?

aatauses

If you are planning to be in Western FL---the Pensacola RV Park is great. Owners are on site all the time and the place is very clean--
al

Birchwood

Thinking about spending the month of December in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Any recomendations for a park in this area? Or is it to late to even think about finding something this late in the game?

You may get into TY park or CB Smith park in Hollywood .They are both county parks and are expensive but Ft Lauderdale
is always expensive

Sandpirate69

You can check Markham Park on 16001 W Sr84. It's a County Park the RV parking are pretty large. Most back in to a canal & you have the Everglades just over the burm. You have the City of Weston down the street for some fine dinning. http://www.markhampark.com/ here's the website. If you do head down this way let me know & I we can show around or have dinner. I live close to the park. Send me a PM or email me ivan_roiz@yahoo.com pls. mention your a Heartland Owner. Too much SPAM, so I filter out as much as possible.

Ivan

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
In central Florida, we have found Fawn Ridge at Deer Creek RV and Golf Resort to be a great place. It is located near Davenport, Florida.

Westwind

We have been traveling to Florida for the months of Feb/Mar/April and have come to realize that the closer to the ocean on either coast you stay the higher the costs, the further south you go the warmer it is, the higher the cost, and most of all the harder it is to find a vacancy in Jan/Feb/Mar, most
of the campgrounds begin to thin out April 1 but prior to that they could be booked up with no vacancy so reservations are a must.
Florida has a state campground web site -

http://www.campflorida.com

If you want to check on reviews of campgrounds to see what people say that have stayed there I would recommend this site but you do have to take the postings with a grain of salt. But if all of the postings lean towards the same statements then you know you had better pay attention to what is posted. I would advise adding length onto your rig so you hopefully end up having some extra.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com

Alot of the campgrounds are older and not made for slideouts and can be tight but everyone seems to deal with it and are friendly if you are. We have been going to the same three campgrounds for 6 or 7 years now and have made some wonderful friends from across the Eastern US and
Canada. Good Luck hunting and enjoy your trip.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This is our first time in FL for the winter. We're at Ocala Sun RV Resort. It's a very nice park. While the sites are grass, they are level and large. Plenty of activities and the staff is very accommodating. We are only here for January and are moving down near Disney for January. One thing about this park that I haven't seen in our 5+ years as a fulltimer, the owners are on site and they actually work.
There are at least 6 other Heartland rigs here. One is an HOC member. Russ & Sarah Klontz from Ohio. If we come back to FL again, this park will be on our list for sure.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Ray, where will you be staying near Disney? We will be at TT-Orlando until the Tampa Supershow.