After a few obstacles, the Ground Control 3.0 is finally installed.

Bogie

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post, but this turned into quite a project.

I have wanted to add Ground Control to my coach for some time, but there were a number of issues I had to deal with. Some were known in advance, some were a surprise.

The biggest obstacle was that my Sundance 245RL is equipped with a rear slide out tray. This meant that track for the tray (which sits 1.25 inches below and parallel to the I-beam) would interfere with the installation of the mounting brackets for the rear jacks. I didn’t want to loose the tray, so I had to find a way around the problem. In addition, I couldn’t even begin to design around the problem until I had the actual attachment brackets in hand.

Once I received the kit I found I had two problems.

1. I had to get around the slide out tray track.
2. I had to determine where to place the brackets.

The instructions call for the rear jacks to be placed approximately 12 inches behind rear tires. Well, on the curb side, there is only 10 inches (total) between the tire and the stairs. On the street side, the slide mechanism prohibits placing the brackets any closer then 16 inches behind the tire. After a couple of calls to Lippert, I had no choice but to keep the jack on the curb side right against the stair box. (Hope I never have a blow out!) Also they said it was okay to put the street side jack farther back than the curb side (even thought the instructions state otherwise.)

So on to the engineering. I re-designed the bracket for the street side (see the pics below) to get around the track for the tray and to maintain the lateral stability of the bracket. To do this, I had to mill the bracket and mill two new quarter inch steel gusset plates to sister on to each side of the milled bracket. On the curb side I determined that I could cut 8 inches off the end of the track for the rear tray and use the curb side bracket as is. Only problem was I had to design a new attachment point for the track , since I was cutting off the front most attachment point as well. Frankly that was easy. Just cut it off and weld on a new bracket. Fortunately I didn’t have to weld on the frame as I was able to utilize part of the existing bracket for the stairs.

So, with all that, all it took was the Labor Day Weekend plus one day (mostly on my back) and I figured I would have it in.

The front jacks were piece of cake. Old ones out, new ones in.

The rear jacks were a different issue. All went exactly as planned, until I bolted the rear jacks onto the rear brackets and discovered that with them pushed all the way up to the bottom of the coach floor, I only had about 4 inches clearance from the ground. That was a bit skinny, especially on the street side where the jack was 16 inches behind the tire. Now what?? Could I modify the jacks?? I called Lippert again. Well…no help on this issue. The only make one size jack.

With the weekend over, I had to take the coach back to storage. Yikes… one of the jacks only cleared my slightly sloped driveway by one half inch. So now what???

I came up with the idea that maybe I could cut a small pocket in the floor on each side and gain an additional two inches for each rear jack. Well, that’s exactly what I did this weekend. I made a sheet metal box for each side (the pic is a little more simplified than what actually installed) and then carefully cut a pocket on each side so as not to pierce the floor inside. ( I LOVE my Fein Multi Master!) I installed each box with a generous amount of 3M Strip Caulk to keep any water out.

And voilà ….. , Ground Control 3.0 (with ample clearance.) We will be trying it out for the first time in two weeks. One thing I have say though, I burned a lot of brain time on this before and during each phase, but it was worth it and I was happy with the final result.

IMG_1492.jpgIMG_1494.jpgIMG_1501.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1561.jpgIMG_1565.jpg

olcoon

Sounds like it was a PITA, but you are going to love it! I bought the kit at the rally in Goshen, and planned to install it during the pre-rally. Got up on the day I was going to install it, got to looking at things, and decided to have Lippert do it. Waited until Monday am, (was going to install it on Sat. am), called them, and had to have it in there by 7:00 am on Friday. Now you are going to get sick...they had it done at around 2:00 pm. We've got a similar rig, 30' 2011 Elk Ridge. I was very pleased with the job they did. It's welded on, plus they installed square tubing between the 2 rear jacks for added strength.

Now when we arrive at a campsite, I'll hit the remote to raise it to unhook, pull the truck out, hit the level button. While it's doing it's thing, I start hooking up the sewer. Usually, by the time I'm done, it's already finished!
BTW, did I say you'll love it?! :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great job!! Thanks for sharing!

(Next project, get rid of those TowMax tires!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Sounds like it was a PITA, but you are going to love it! I bought the kit at the rally in Goshen, and planned to install it during the pre-rally. Got up on the day I was going to install it, got to looking at things, and decided to have Lippert do it. Waited until Monday am, (was going to install it on Sat. am), called them, and had to have it in there by 7:00 am on Friday. Now you are going to get sick...they had it done at around 2:00 pm. We've got a similar rig, 30' 2011 Elk Ridge. I was very pleased with the job they did. It's welded on, plus they installed square tubing between the 2 rear jacks for added strength.

Now when we arrive at a campsite, I'll hit the remote to raise it to unhook, pull the truck out, hit the level button. While it's doing it's thing, I start hooking up the sewer. Usually, by the time I'm done, it's already finished!
BTW, did I say you'll love it?! :)
But now he can say proudly...
I DID IT MYSELF.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At least it looks like Lippert upgraded the fasteners from the original version. Those look like Grade 8 yellow zinc dichromated ones, not the ASTM 307A's R-T sent me, back when. I purchased the Grade 8's, rather than use the weaker ones.

Bones

But now he can say proudly...
I DID IT MYSELF.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Say's I watching as the Camper slowly leans to one side toppling over.............Boom............Honey!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just joking :angel:

Bogie

It was a PITA, but that's the green that's still in my wallet puffing it up. I know it would have been easier to have someone else do it, but I doubt they would have taken the time or energy to deal with the slide out tray. They would have most likely told me it can't be done and would have to be removed. Not what I wanted to do.

- - - Updated - - -

The TowMax tires get replaced next spring!

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. The Grade 8 bolts were my doing. Lippert still sends the self tapping bolts. I thought those were a bit light, especially considering that Lippert welds them on at the factory.

JohnDar

Nope. The Grade 8 bolts were my doing. Lippert still sends the self tapping bolts. I thought those were a bit light, especially considering that Lippert welds them on at the factory.

Yeah, after snapping a couple of the ASTM307A's way before the torque spec'd in the instructions, I looked up the specifications for them. Only rated to about 20 ft-lbs, not 100, or even 75. That's when I went and got the Grade 8's, which are rated to 45 ft-lbs and have a better corrosion resistance with the zinc dichromate plating vs. the bright zinc. I also didn't like the idea of using self-tappers, so I through-bolted everything with nuts and washers. Other than that, my four jack (no auto level) set has been great. One motor did die on me recently, but the replacement from Reico-Titan should arrive today. Being able to operate it with a ratchet wrench saved the day.

Crumgater

Looks like you had even more fun than we did!

Like you, the front jacks were easy out, easy in.

Wiring all went fine.

Door-side bracket was no problem... but finding a spot for the ODS bracket was an issue due to the living room slide...
We had Lippert send us a different design of bracket which should have fit the area around the slide better, but it still didn't fit well.
So, Lippert gave us the OK to put the bracket further back than the instructions recommended, but we still had to do some bracket adjustments to get it to fit. After a few weeks with only 3 brackets successfully attached, we took the Elkridge to a local service station and had them get that last bracket attached. We showed them where, they just did the manipulations around the frame and slide gearing to get it all in. We (aka Dave) then put the rest of the hardware together and the rest is history!

We do love it!
Our system doesn't do the all automatic on/off/level like olcoon's (I wonder if that's available as an upgrade??)... but it does mean no more back-and-forths to get the right number of boards under the tires. :)

JohnDar

My replacement motor arrived yesterday and I installed it this morning. All good.

JohnDar

It was $157 after the S&H. They cannot give it a warranty, though. Now that I have it, I'm going to dissect the other one to see if it's salvageable.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok, thanks John. We had one get stuck in the retracted position, but thankfully it just took a strategically placed hammer blow to fix, thanks to a call to RT.

olcoon

Our system doesn't do the all automatic on/off/level like olcoon's (I wonder if that's available as an upgrade??)... but it does mean no more back-and-forths to get the right number of boards under the tires. :)

Mine wasn't an upgrade, just a newer version (it's the Ground Control 3.0) than the one they were selling at the 2013 national rally. I got mine this year at the rally. Glad I waited, as now about the only difference between the Ground Control, and Level Up is one is electric, & the other is hydraulic. It even came with a remote!

Bones

On your Ground control does it make the whirling sound when the motors are under load? Are they slow when going down like regular electric landing gear?

JohnDar

Ok, thanks John. We had one get stuck in the retracted position, but thankfully it just took a strategically placed hammer blow to fix, thanks to a call to RT.

They did ask if it had been retracted too far, but that was not the case.

Bogie

Yes it does make a different sound when under load (while lifting) but I think that's to be expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

The problem was a loose wire butt joint inside the powerhead. Put a new connector on and it works. So now I have a spare