After-Market Air Lift Spring Systems

GregP

We have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE and are towing with a 2013 RAM 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 with the Laramie package and 6.7 Cummins diesel. We put on about 12000 miles this year driving thru Canada, Yukon, Alaska and most of the the North western states with no major problems. One issue I did encounter though was with the truck suspension. I find that the rig seems to ride a bit low on the hitch so that the front end of the truck is elevated somewhat. Gross weight of the trailer and truck is well below the maximum rated, and the hitch weight is not over recommended weight. I am looking at adding an air suspension system to the truck (Air Lift, Ride-Rite, or similar) but do not know much about them. Installers here (Canada) suggest that they usually do not install the systems with an on-board compressor, but use one or two filler valves similar to tire valves to fill from a portable compressor. They say this reduces freeze-up problems in colder climates. I am sure many RV'ers have these systems, and am hoping to pick a few brains more knowledgeable than mine for help before I purchase and install. Thanks for any help out there.

Oh yeah...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our Bighorn!!

Dloebrich

I have Firestone Ride Rite. East to install and work well. I used just one fill valve so both bags always have the same pressure. I tow a Cyclone 4000 . 50 psi when towing and 5-10 psi when unloaded. A 12 volt air compressor fills them quickly .

Lynn1130

I think you are going to find that there are two or three systems out there being used and they all work well. It turns out to be kind of like which truck brand you like or which tire you like. I have Airlift and two fill valves and it works well for me but I suggest doing an on-line search of each brand, read the reviews and then go for it.

GregP

Thanks for the replies to my question regarding air lift suspensions. I was thinking of installing a system with a built in compressor and either a remote control or in-cab control. I was thinking that the on board compressor would also double as a compressor for other purposes; tools, tire fillings, etc. Any issues with the air systems failing in cold weather conditions such as one might encounter in colder weather travel (mountains, late Sporing, early Fall?)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only time you would have a freezing problem is if you have a load of moisture in the lines. I installed Air Lift bags and the auto fill system on my truck and love it. Its a no muss-no fuss system. You might have room under the hood to mount the compressor and that should stop most water intrustion at the compressor end of the system.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Hey Greg... Put the Airlift 5000 ultimate (with internal jounces) on my 2012 Ram 3500 dually 5 weeks ago and put about 2500 miles on them. Took out the squat and quite pleased with them. Bought them on the internet for $325 and got a $50 rebate from Airlift, so $275. Took me about 2 hours to install (was quite simple) and I took my time. Put two valves by the license plate and use my tire pump to inflate.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
On both of our Ram 2500 and 3500 srw, we put the firestone air lift on. It help level the truck out instead of a slight sagging in the rear. On the 2500, we didn't do the interior compressor control but did with the 3500. Huge improvement in that you could adjust the level as you travel down the road.

Soshi4

Don't remember the brand of lift or on board compressor I got for our 2008 Sierra HD2500, but wouldn't trade them for anything for towing our Bighorn. Had the compressor put under the bed just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Have an inside contol and gauge monted on the center consul just to the right of the drivers right knee. Have one fill port hidden behind theback bumper incase the compressor goes out. Have an external port coming through bumper just to the left of license plate that I can attach a coil airline to for filling up bike tires, truck tires and Bighorn tires. Also works great for the air assist hydraulic bottle jack I keep in the rig. Can reach all the truck and bighorn tires with two 25' coil air hoses.

Soshi4

ILH

Hi Soshi4 - I assume you had it professionnally installed. How much did that cost you - approximately?

GregP

Thanks again for all the responses. I think that I will probably go with one of the on board compressor set-ups, unless the cost is too much. I'm a bit of a gadget guy, so have always been a sucker for "bells and whistles" (L.E.D's, things that go "beep") so in cab control or remote would suit me fine. I might have to give my truck a good look to see where to install the compressor; under the hood seems a bit cramped and possibly too hot? Thanks Soshi4 for the info on the additional airlines and ports. Seems like a good thing to do, and I like the idea of a system back-up. Just need to locate and price out the units and installs.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had my compressor installed under the bed on the frame rail on the driver side and the remote/guage in cab below dash to my right. Can see it while seated.

Had my compressor and trumpets for my train horn installed in same manor except on the passenger side and the ford upfitter switches provide power and actuate the horn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I have the AirLift system with the on board compressor that automatically inflates/deflates as needed. Two issues I don't like...when unhitching the rig, I have to turn the truck off since you only have 30 seconds from when the load is taken off the truck before all the air is blown off. If truck is not moved before this, the pin binds in the hitch. What I mean is, I would like to leave truck running, lower landing gear, chock wheels, unhook safety line, unhook electrical cord, pop hitch lever (B&W) and then drive out from under rig without having to restart truck...idling truck gives it time to cool down before turning off. The other issue is that it doesn't take very much of a bump to over-ride the pressure release valve, and inflation cycle begins again. When parking, and pull ahead small amount, apply brakes...small rock of rig forward overloads pressure release and inflation cycle starts again. In cold weather, bags are stiffer and as first one or two inflation cycles near cut off, because of the stiff bags, pressure limit is reached before level point and pop off releases air and inflation cycle starts again. Bags finally warm up and cycle is completed. Not sure if I did it again I would go with auto system.

porthole

Retired
I have the AirLift system with the on board compressor that automatically inflates/deflates as needed. Two issues I don't like...when unhitching the rig, I have to turn the truck off since you only have 30 seconds from when the load is taken off the truck before all the air is blown off. If truck is not moved before this, the pin binds in the hitch. What I mean is, I would like to leave truck running, lower landing gear, chock wheels, unhook safety line, unhook electrical cord, pop hitch lever (B&W) and then drive out from under rig without having to restart truck...idling truck gives it time to cool down before turning off. The other issue is that it doesn't take very much of a bump to over-ride the pressure release valve, and inflation cycle begins again. When parking, and pull ahead small amount, apply brakes...small rock of rig forward overloads pressure release and inflation cycle starts again. In cold weather, bags are stiffer and as first one or two inflation cycles near cut off, because of the stiff bags, pressure limit is reached before level point and pop off releases air and inflation cycle starts again. Bags finally warm up and cycle is completed. Not sure if I did it again I would go with auto system.

Lou, do you have the AirLift wireless kit?

I have none of those issues using mine.
http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/compressor-systems/wirelessair/

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Lou,

I also have the Airlift system with auto inflate/deflate module in cab and no problems either in the cold temps.