air bags????

lwmcguir

If my memory serves me right using a Goose Neck Adapter on the pin box, per Lippert, will void the warranty. I have see at least two Heartland 5ers that had a broken frame due to Goose Neck Adapters..

I use the B&W Turnover Ball with Companion 5th wheel to keep my deck clean.

FWIW...
BC

We have pulled 5ers for almost 40 years. About since they started making them. Since we farm and ranch we have always used Goose Neck Adapters. We had one on our Wilderness, Excel, Travel Villa, Coachman, Yellowstone and so on. Never a problem and didn't even think about being an issue. We were told the same thing regarding the Lippert warranty. We plan on using the adapter as well. Surely the frames are built as well now as they were years ago. If not then they should be. Just my opinion.

The BW combination makes sense but a lot of our pickups have flat beds with recessed balls. They are all 30K balls but cant be accessed with the companion. That leave us in the majority of other farm/ranch folks out there that like to RV a bit. Kind of irritation to say the least.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have an 04 GMC dually, duramax, crewcab. I have the Firestone Riderights, with on board compressor. I normally run about 30 +- in the bags when towing. Rides great. I gross about 22,500# ready to camp. I also took the overload spring brackets off of the frame to stop the harsh bump. We love the way it rides now.
So Jim, did removing the overload brackets eliminate the clacking of the springs when running without the rig? Improve the unloaded ride? I've been considering the bags only to try and improve the ride. We don't have any issues with sag but if I could soften the ride a little it might be worth the investment. Thanks

PUG

Pug
I have Firestone air bags on my chev 2500 Duro and pull a 3950. My dealer said not to go over 100 lbs of pressure.

jimtoo

So Jim, did removing the overload brackets eliminate the clacking of the springs when running without the rig? Improve the unloaded ride? I've been considering the bags only to try and improve the ride. We don't have any issues with sag but if I could soften the ride a little it might be worth the investment. Thanks

Yes, Ray, without the brackets, nothing for the overload springs to hit on to make the clacking. I cannot say it improved the ride unloaded, because the overloads were not used,,, but it definitely improved the ride with the Bighorn hooked up. No more harsh bump and bounce. Now it still hits pretty hard on a really bad place like some of the bridges and highways in Oklahoma and Louisiana, Missouri ,,,, a few places,,, you know a few places not in
Texas.

Jim M