Air filter and exhaust system for Ford F-250

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
4r100 tranny

I have replaced my original 4r100 after 151,265 miles of pulling trailers, standard cooler and standard oil. I put in another 4r100 with oversized coolers (2) and synthetic oil and Ford has a 75,000 mile guarantee on it. I have really never had a single problem except for it wearing out.

thomasinnv

I have replaced my original 4r100 after 151,265 miles of pulling trailers, standard cooler and standard oil. I put in another 4r100 with oversized coolers (2) and synthetic oil and Ford has a 75,000 mile guarantee on it. I have really never had a single problem except for it wearing out.

if you pull at or near the GVWR and have it chipped, most people would end up having an issue sooner than later. in stock form pulling less than the GVWR many people have had good success with the stock trans. I ended up de-tuning my truck after the third trans in 9 months. and i had plenty of cooling, it just couldn't take the extra torque from the chip combines with the heavier trailer. YMMV

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
3 in 9 months, wow that is amazing. How much of a chip do you have in that? I have a 40 hp diablo and seems to be fine. I attributed my loss of my last tranny to constant everyday pulling of heavy trailers but feel that 150,000 miles is great on a wearable part. My new one is guaranteed 75,000 mile and so far so good with about 23,000 miles on it. If it goes out after the warranty I will change it to a bigger beafy transmission, but it does very well now. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Russ

Rmcgrath53

My truck has a banks stinger kit. It has an oversized exhaust and the trans command with a K&M filter system . It also has the Edge Juice Module that I havent changed from the level 2 on it . That is suppose to increase HP by 25 and torque by 50. So the banks Stinger claims 68hp and 128 torque The edge at level 2 puts 25hp and 50 torque
I have no intention of setting the juice at other levels for fear of blowing my trans.It can go up to 75hp and 200 torque. I have never tried it because I dont have anymore money to throw at it. It pulls my Sundance very easily. It is a dually with 4:10 gear.It has 138,000 miles and I started using Amsoil and bought the lab test kit to check at 10,000 miles. Amsoil claims it can go 25,000 if you change the filter.I am very happy with the setup I have.

kinports

jnphobe, i have been wanting to do the same with my 04 - 250. just a few questions if you dont mind.

1) what type of gear did you purchase (brand) ?

2) what made you go with 4.30 and not 4.56?

3) is your truck all stock as far as tire s and trans ?

thanks for any reply. shane

caissiel

Your F250, if its 6.0L or 6.4L has lots of power to pull your RV. I have the E-con by Hypertech because at every hill the accelerator was going to 100%, by just pressing it a little. I always thought that my truck was programed with less power so I got the Programmer to give me the hill climbing torque. With the programmer on highest setting I usually can climb the hills at 80% load on overdrive and not loose speed. The air filter is the best in the industry. The zudad mod works fine.

caissiel

Water temperature is never over 206F and the exhaust is never over 1100F and most of the time is at 900F. Its never a problem so I hardly observe it at all go by the Water temperature. My gauge is not at eye level and in Centigrade calibration, my max would be 800C but never saw that yet. around 500C most of the time. It was the same with my GM, the water temperature going above the fan on temperature killed the power so I operated and shifted by Water temperature only. I have a water temperature digital gauge while just a needle for the Exhaust. I usually turn off the key at below 300F. Never Idle. Once climbed a 15 mile hill on 3rd gear and never heated the engine for the fan to come on, that was before I got the tuner.

I have the 6 spd standard. which makes a difference on temperatures also.

As more information i tried disconnecting the EGR valve and the water temperature dropped so much that my truck was to cold and hard on fuel. after 10 miles or so i just connected it again. That was while towing.

caissiel

Other then the Exhaust temperature gauge, I use the ScangaugeII for all my Towing info, I would never pull the RV without the scan gauge.

It's also a code reader and MPG calculator. I get %load, Power value, instant MPG, heat values, others. I usually observe the Water temperature so as not to overload the EGR Cooler, the % Torque is kept around 40 to 50 on flat roads and max at 90% in the hills and shift down above that.
Short hills, I will let it momentarily go to 100% but its rare because the fuel flow is much to high for economy. Any torque above 50% takes much more fuel.

With the program set on 1st level the fuel flow indication is 17% less and on max setting its up to 42% less. The Scangauge allows me to calibrate the fuel flow at every fill-ups