Air ride or non air ride Hitch

Doug3772

New to Heartland forum and first post. We have just upgraded from a TT to a 2013 Big Country 3691SK. We will pull it with a 2011 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. The dually has air bags. Next purchase is a hitch. I've been reading tons of forums and have narrowed my hitch selection down to either a B&W Companion or a Trailer Saver BD3 Air Ride Hitch. I've found the cost difference between the two is approximately $1600. Anyone out there that has used both a non air ride and a air ride hitch that can tell me if the air ride hitch is worth the extra money spent? Sounds like a air ride hitch is nice, but is it that much better? Thanks!

danemayer

Re: Air ride or non air ride

Hi Doug3772,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Hitch choices do generate lots of discussion so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I don't have either hitch since I have short bed TV but if I had a long bed from when I was researching hitches I'd go with the B&W.
Do you have a Mor/Ryde pin box? I think I'd go with that combo, B&W + Mor/Ryde.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wehavefun

I have Mor Ryde hitch, air bags on 3500, B&W hitch, very happy with that combination

jhardin

I have the Air Lift on my truck with remote control and a 20k Reese hitch with a standard pin box. I think it was a pretty decent ride, a little chucking still. While going through St Louis seems the RV took a beating from the rough roads. All the hanging cloths were in the floor with hangers still on them. That being said, I bought a trailer saver BD3 to cushion the RV. I can't tell you any thing different yet because l haven't been any where and the new BD3 hitch is in the barn. Looking forward to using it though!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had the Mor-Ryde on my Landmark 365 from factory. It did a good job on the chucking but was hard on the trailer. I installed the TrailAir pin box on and like the up and down ride as it has taken out the harshness of the bumps, however I think I have more chucking then I did with the Mor-Ryde. so now when I get my new truck I will install the TS3 trailer saver and put my Mor-Ryde pin box back on..... I think that's going to be the best setup possible.

jhardin

Just made my first trip with my trailer saver BD3 hitch. All I can say.... It's AWSOME! Love it, expensive, but worth it. I highly recommend! I have the standard pin box, air bags on truck (45lbs) and BD3 hitch (40lbs). Very smooth ride, practically dampened the chucking..... just AWSOME is all I can say!

EPaulikonis

X2, but I also have the MorRyde pin box on my Landmark. I had previously ran a PullRite ISR Pro Series hitch. Solid setup, but more chucking than I wanted. Added the BD3 and life is good. Chucking is always going to happen, but I can barely notice it now. BD3 dampened vertical loads and it's really noticeable when hitting bridge joints now...no more road shock!

Just made my first trip with my trailer saver BD3 hitch. All I can say.... It's AWSOME! Love it, expensive, but worth it. I highly recommend! I have the standard pin box, air bags on truck (45lbs) and BD3 hitch (40lbs). Very smooth ride, practically dampened the chucking..... just AWSOME is all I can say!

Doug3772

Thanks to all for your suggestions. After much debate I decided not to go with the Trailersaver. Only because of the cost. I also decided not to go with the B&W Companion because I didn't like the turnoverball installation. I wanted rails for future versatility. Decided on the Reese Titan 20. It has a slight bit of fore and aft cushioning. If down the road, I feel I need to improve the hitch system, I will change the pinbox to the MORryde. I'll post again after I pull the RV a few times and let everyone know how my decision worked out.

Dean-Pam

I currently have the MorRyde pin box and IS. With both of these added to the camper, the ride is greatly improved.

Aandaar

OK exposing my news to terms. Please explain "chucking"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Bone I have a brand new MorRyde pin box I took off if you want to come over and try it out. LOL
Some day I'm going to make my own with the top of my Trail-air and the bottom of my MorRyde
The best of both worlds

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bones

Bone I have a brand new MorRyde pin box I took off if you want to come over and try it out. LOL
Some day I'm going to make my own with the top of my Trail-air and the bottom of my MorRyde
The best of both worlds

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Now that would be a drive.:cool: I have air ride on the truck now so I think that helps a lot but I wanted to see how the rig drove without the sidewinder since I don't need it anymore. I can't lock it out because it will hit my bed rail cover brackets.

Miltp920

Chucking to me is when I am towing down the road and the 5er and the truck get out of sync in a front - back motion. It seems like the 5er is alternating between pushing and pulling on the truck. I slow down 10 mph or so, and it smooths out again. It happens to me most when on those sections of highway that the semi trucks have worn out and nobody wants to ride in that lane, but sometimes pulling the 5er, i have to be in that lane. People like air ride hitches, because they absorb some or all of that potential movement. I am thinking about upgrading to air ride or Moryde. I did a search on this site for "chucking" and got a few hits.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I have a Trail Air with Tri-Glide and have no chucking at all.

Last edited by a moderator: