Airing up G114's

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
My home compressor tops out at 120 psi, so I went out and bought a new compressor from Lowes that is rated at 155 psi. The problem is I can't get air into the tires. Do I need a different air chuck to work with these pressures?

MCTalley

Same as lower pressure tires. Are you letting the compressor fill the tank and get up to the cutoff first? Also, is the output regulator maxed out so it can put out 110+ PSI?

billyjoeraybob

Yep I am letting the tank fill both the tank gauge and the output guage are reading 155, but when I push the air chuck on the valve stem there is no air flow. It is like the schrader valve is not forcing the valve in the chuck to open.

Garypowell

Putting air in at the 110 pressure can be painfully slow. Not to mention I usually lose a little pressure hooking on and taking adaptor off of the tire....puting these together could be your problem.

It also took me at least three compressors before I found one that actually did what it said it would do.

Ended up up with a Viair that is 12 volt so I can use it anywhere.

dlw930

I got a new Porter-Cable compressor this week. It has a 1.5 gal. tank with 150 psi rating. One of my G614's was pretty low but filled to 110 within 2-3 minutes. The other tires were around 100 and I thought they would never get to 110 even tho I had the output regulator set at 110. Maybe I need to set it higher to fill faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

That's the exact same compressor I have and it does the job. You can definitely hear the air going into the tire. I suspect a bad chuck.

billyjoeraybob

Thanks Malcolm! I will pick up a new chuck and see if that takes care of it. I really like the compressor. It stows well and doesn't take up too much space. We do a lot of weekend outings in the winter. It is nice to have a compressor on board to blow the lines. Thanks again for the tour of your old rig at the NC rally last Halloween!

pegmikef

If you continue to have problems you might look at the Viair 450P portable compressor. It is a little pricey, but it is small, easily fills and maintains my G614s at 110 PSI (I always use the max), is 12 volt, and has a 100 percent duty cycle.

Gaffer

You need to attach the compressor to the tire while the compressor is running not after it has reached pressure and shut off. Works like a champ on my little Craftsman compressor.

donr827

You need to attach the compressor to the tire while the compressor is running not after it has reached pressure and shut off. Works like a champ on my little Craftsman compressor.
This is what I have to do with mine. If my compressor cuts off when it gets to set pressure I use a screw drive on the end of the chuck to bleed off some air until pump starts again and then attach chuck to the tire while its running.
Don

SeattleLion

We just got our G614's on Saturday. According to Goodyear, inflation should be set for the load. We had our tires set at 100 PSI. We have 11,000 lbs on the trailer wheels. The axles are 7,000 lb. At 100 PSI, the G614's are rated at 3,550 lbs. When you pull out all the typical Internet opinions, there is no reason to inflate beyond the maximum load.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That's assuming that you have an equal load on each tire and in the real world that seldom happens.
To know for sure if your load is 3,550 or less you would have to have each wheel position weighed.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I have had three sets of 614's and the best reason to run 110#I have is to help keep them from scrubbing off the out side edges. And as much as I hate not buying American, I have ordered a set of Sailuns as soon as they resume production.

avvidclif

I have had three sets of 614's and the best reason to run 110#I have is to help keep them from scrubbing off the out side edges. And as much as I hate not buying American, I have ordered a set of Sailuns as soon as they resume production.

Try Simple Tire. I ordered last Mon at 4:30PM and Wed at 1:20 they were delivered. 45 hr from Pa to Tx.

SeattleLion

That's assuming that you have an equal load on each tire and in the real world that seldom happens.
To know for sure if your load is 3,550 or less you would have to have each wheel position weighed.

We will do that at the Oregon rally. It's unlikely that with 7,000 lb axles we will have over 3,500 lbs/wheel. In fact, when we weighed the rig, the total load on the trailer wheels is 11,000 lbs. If it makes you more comfortable to go to maximum inflation, my understanding is that the only possible issue is a somewhat rougher ride. I'm following the Goodyear suggestion.

Thanks,
Bob

pegmikef

Not knowing the actual weight and because it always varies depending on the status of my holding and fresh water tanks, I always go with the max 110 psi. IMO the weight rating of the axles doesn't always have a lot to do with the actual weight and they are usually borderline for the rig's total weight or else why would Heartland offer upgrades from 6k to 7k and 7k to 8k axles as an option.

jnbhobe

Try Simple Tire. I ordered last Mon at 4:30PM and Wed at 1:20 they were delivered. 45 hr from Pa to Tx.

Sailun has changed the part# so I am waiting for the new production. And I get some real good prices, so I will stick with my dealer.

SeattleLion

IMO the weight rating of the axles doesn't always have a lot to do with the actual weight and they are usually borderline for the rig's total weight or else why would Heartland offer upgrades from 6k to 7k and 7k to 8k axles as an option.

Our BH came standard with 7k axles. That gives us a 1k margin. There are always variables, but they aren't all that dramatic. The rigs are pretty well balanced.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A retired tire engineer from GoodYear gave a seminar about tires. In his seminar he recommended tires be inflated to the rating on the sidewall of the tire i.e. 110 psi for the G614. His reasoning (which seems correct) is your weight will always be changing due to more or less gear being carried, more or less fresh and/or waste water being carried. Etc. That is what we do, that is use the sidewall pressure. Then I feel confident I am not underinflated.