Airing up G114's

porthole

Retired
Back to the G-114's

Since the valve stems are a little different on the high pressure tires, maybe the issue is your air chuck. Try a different one before you drive yourself nuts.

Most compressors use a switch with a 30-40 psi differential between cut in and out.
105/135
110/150
Those compressor will have you getting frustrated trying to air up.

PC makes a pancake style 165 psi compressor with a 135 cut in. That would work best for the 114's.
I use to carry a PC 150 pancake style until I got the G-114's. Now I use the compressor in the truck that has 200 psi capability.
Even with that, airing up to 115 psi (my normal run pressure) can take awhile.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2004-WK-Oil-Free-Compressor-Fittings/dp/B0045U9UN4

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
A retired tire engineer from GoodYear gave a seminar about tires. In his seminar he recommended tires be inflated to the rating on the sidewall of the tire i.e. 110 psi for the G614. His reasoning (which seems correct) is your weight will always be changing due to more or less gear being carried, more or less fresh and/or waste water being carried. Etc. That is what we do, that is use the sidewall pressure. Then I feel confident I am not underinflated.

Totally agree. There seems to be no downside to using the inflated rating on the sidewall so I am not sure why you would not run at that PSI. Sure makes it easier than trying to figure the weight of your trailer and then adjust the PSI based on that.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the G114s and 125 cold is the sidewall air pressure. Tire manufacturers design the tires for that pressure printed on the sidewall and since I don't carry around scales to individually weigh each tire weight I will go with the sidewall pressure. If you don't know what pressure check the tire sidewall. G614s are 110 psi cold.

danemayer

As you can see from the attached Goodyear inflation chart, inflating G114s to 110 psi provides 4340 lbs of load. That compares to 3750 lbs for a G614 at 110 psi.

Most of us with larger rigs probably have max individual wheel loads in the 3500-3600 lb territory. Inflating G114s to 110 psi would provide around 20% margin. Inflating to 125 psi and a load of 4805 lbs load might be considered overinflating, perhaps leading to uneven wear.

Attachments

• Goodyear G114 inflation.pdf
    57.7 KB · Views: 16

porthole

Retired
Dan, when I first got the 114's I tried 120 psi and could clearly see the tire was crowned. I run 110-115 depending on how the garage is loaded.

Last edited: