AirSafe AirBox Hitch Help (Older 2 Bag Model)

chasdvorak

I just purchased an older 2 bag AirSafe AirBox Revolution hitch from an RV parts guy in Florida that was going out of business. The hitch is unused and was acting as a store demo unit. I received the hitch via FedEx in 3 separate boxes and had a local trailer hitch guy install the unit. When I tried to hook up to my 2009 BH 3580, I added 100 lbs of air with the idea that I could adjust to the green zone after locking the hitch and raising the elevator. When I did just that, the hitch didn't budge a fraction. I added additional air and got the hitch into the green zone, but my air pressure was over the 100 lbs limit. Anyone have any similar problems?

I called the company and spoke with the owner. He said it should be OK since the air bags were rated at 340 lbs???? I have no binding when there is no weight on the unit. The upper section slides with ease. The air bags are holding the air with no leaks, so I removed the air bag section and with low pressure, I could hear the air moving from bag to bag when pushing them individually. The bags look brand new, appear to be functioning as designed and I was able to get the loaded unit in the green using a 12v Viair compressor. I also used separate tire gauges, but they pinned out at 120 lbs. I have air bags on my truck which ride loaded in the 35-40 lbs range, so I'm baffled with the current 120 lbs+ reading. It looks like everything is in place and functioning as designed, but the air pressure readings are a concern of mine.

I did not try to move the BH from its' position with the fully retracted the front elevator and Level-Ups. The owner suggested driving the hitched up coach b ut I was already away from the camper when we spoke. He thought some movement might change the results.

I'm going to head back to Goshen within the next 2 weeks to pick up some Amish furniture that my wife ordered during the rally (who said rallies were inexpensive?) and plan on using the AirBox if I get this resolved. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I posted some pictures for reference. This AirBox has the air bag mounts and inflation hoses on the top section of the unit. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 26133View attachment 26134Pix 5.jpgPix 6.jpgPix 7.jpg

porthole

Retired
Those bags are the same that are used on pickups. They should be able to hold 5000 pounds at 100 psi.
I have an air ride hitch that works a bit differently the yours but is also equipped with two bags. For comparison, if my pin weight is approximately 3000 pounds I am using 50-60 psi in the bags.

What do you mean 'the green zone"

with the bags at zero pressure, trailer hooked up, does the saddle move up with say 50-60 psi?
Does it move at all?

My hitch has a set line on it and I only use that for a guide. My pressure is based on adding about 10-20 psi over what is needs to keep the hitch from bottoming out.

chasdvorak

Good Morning Duane,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm missing something here. I have the air bags on my truck and inflate them to the 50-60 lbs range with no problem. They move the truck and coach with no problem.

I may have had a problem with the gauges I was using or the compressor, but it just didn't make sense. I put 100 lbs in the bags which moved the hitch to uppermost position. I then hitched the truck and retracted the front landing gear/Level-Ups which then moved the hitch back to the lowest position. I had the truck/coach weighed last year in Gilette and I was at 3300 lbs on the the pin. We haven't really added anything and this hitch is probably 50-75lbs lighter than the slider that it is replacing, but that wont have anything to do with the pin weight. I did not dump the tanks or even think about them until I got home a day later, but that could have been an issue which added some weight to the pin. The black and grey tanks probably had about 70+ gallons of stuff in them. Also, I had the slides out....not sure if that would make a difference in the pin weight though. I was able to add air and move the connected hitch to the green zone but the compressor gauge and hand gauges were pinned at 120 lbs....so I think I was above that limit. My hitch has a label with a red/green/red zone marking....the green beeing OK.....probably similar to the line that I've seen on newer hitches.

I spoke with the AirHitch folks and they are not concerned about the air pressure. Some thoughts were that it may have been binding and it would shake loose as soon as it moved. I didn't talk to then at the time the coach was hitched since they were closed. I didn't move the coach when it was hitched since I was at my seasonal site and the wife was doing her "work at home away from home" thing. The Air Hitch guy suggested disregarding the green label and inflating to within an inch or so of the top position. He too expressed the opinion that the bags would hold the weight unless I was totally overloaded, which I don't believe is the case. (I have however, shifted about 200 lbs of gear from the front closet area to the living room after the Gillette weigh in to hopefully shift some of the weight to the coach axles).

That said......I'm going back to Goshen in a few weeks. At this time, I'm planning on dumping the tanks and puting the coach in it's transport position before hitching up. I will then inflate the bags and give it a run in the neighborhood. If I run into problems, I'll swap out the hitch and will try to get some help in Goshen. I've been really happy with the service I've received from Dan's Trailer Service and this hitch appears to be a variant that was sold under the Husky brand which is also in the area. The company is located in Fargo which is quite a haul from here. Did someone say Sugar Beet Harvest.

Thanks for the help and any other thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wildwolfproducts

Reading the Instructions on line. Looks like you should not air it up until the camper is hitched up and ready to go. Then air the bags up. I Know my TS3 tells me to not air up until it hooked up and drop the air before unhooking.
Pete

porthole

Retired
Of course your mileage will vary. But what I found with my hitch through trial and error is that to get a true ride level reading, I need to move the trailer a bit and it needs to be on level ground.
I did my set up after driving over to a large level parking lot.

My normal ride pressure is 60 psi. 2 air bags, probably the same as yours. That is with approximate 3000 pounds of pin weight.

This sets my hitch height about at the 2/3 of total travel hitch height.
But, parked in my off level driveway, my hitch is almost bottomed out at that pressure.

chasdvorak

Thanks guys....I'm going to give it a test ride in a few weeks back to Goshen for some more furniture and stuff. I'm confident that I'll make some adjustments and find the correct air pressure to ensure a smooth ride.