Alaska 2010

lwmcguir

Our neighbors have made the trip. They recommend the trip and all the air ride you can afford including the hitch. They were in a caravan and all the folks with the extra suspension on the trailers and trucks were very happy. All of them thought the trip was worth it.

CGibson

It is a great trip. We just moved back to Missouri from living in Alaska for 8 years. Many times the frost heaves will be marked by little orange flags on the side of the road. Just be sure and be careful over those and slow down on the gravel stretches.
Also, we have found the people along the way to be really nice.
Anchorage is the biggest city and a good place to spend a day or maybe two, but don't plan to stay there long (this is where I lived). It has a nice downtown Saturday or Sunday market and lots of neat shoppes and restuarants.
Our favorite get-a-way was Seward. You can take whale watching cruises out of there and the town is really nice and peaceful. If you have any questions that we might be able to answer, feel free to send a PM.

traveller

Have done a lot of research on our upcoming trip to AK. Planning on leaving May 23rd from So Cal. Can't wait. Anyone else going around the same time? Would love to meet up.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Lived there (Fairbanks) for many years (22) and my first trip (1967) on the ALCAN was all dirt and gravel. Now it's all paved BUT watch out for the heaves. Be very careful of those that offer assistance along the way. I have driven the highway 19 times, always a great trip.......stop at Lairds for a soak. Don't give the time of day to the ******* in Whitehorse.............they are out for everything they can scam from you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
What would be cool is every one going to Alaska indicate a campground to stay and a date you will be there and maybe you can meet up.

Keep up your HOP.. then others can see where your located.

Would be cool to follow..

Good Luck.. we plan to go up to AK next year..

BC

Last edited:

Tankie

How much shorter is the cassiar hwy? Was told it will save you a days travelin. I am heading to Valdez for work so wont get to much time site seeing. Thanks

Mels Musty Music

I envy those of you heading for Alaska this summer. DW only knows one direction anymore - SOUTH.

Don't miss stopping at Dawson Peaks at milepost 797 in the Yukon. Dave and Carolyn are two of the nicest people you will ever meet and whether its an overnite in their campground or an afternoon break for a piece of Carolyn's rhubarb pie you won't be sorry. We spent a week there the last time through.