Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I'm new to using chains. I had a gooseneck horse trailer several years ago that had the chains connected to the trailer and the hooks would snap into the chain safety loops in the bed.

Yesterday I had a bright idea that I would flip the chains and attach the horseshoe clevises to the safety loops in the bed and clip the chain hooks to the trailer. It was much easier to connect and release the vehicles, which I did several times. There's no restriction or any possibility of snagging the chain hooks on anything. Is this an acceptable option to connect the chains or is there a legal issue to deal with when connected this way?

[I kind of like that idea! Only issue I see is your chains are always inside your bed, unless you pull your Pucks or remove the clevis pins..I can't see any legal issue but I will call Archie at Anderson and make a post on Monday. This would save having the chains hanging off the pin box all the time. ]

Doublegranch

I was able to get a hold of Archie at Anderson on Saturday.....He indicated it would not be a problem or a safety issue to reverse the safety chain hook up....Clevis pins on your Truck Puck tie downs and the safety hooks on the eye bolts connected to the Anderson Pin adapter.

Think I will give it a try and see how I like it. You can always change it back. This will eliminate the safety chains from hanging off the pin box adapter when unhooked....

Rollin_Free

Exactly, however initially I just wanted a quicker easier way to connect from the side of the bed without having to lean in to catch the chain safety loop that are in the bed so I reversed the chains. We went camping this past weekend and everything went fantastic. I'm convinced that I'm going to leave the chains reversed with the hooks used to connect to the Anderson adapter block. BTW it's also much easier to protect the chains from the elements by keeping them in the bed under a cover and cleans up the hitch when not connected to the TV. This actually makes a big difference how quickly I can connect or disconnect and makes it very easy to confirm everything is connected correctly before heading out.

Doublegranch

One more thought is to obtain another set of Anderson hooks and have them on both ends! Then no issues about the clevis pins and it would be easy to remove the chains from the truck as well....I get my Sundance in mid June so will try the reverse set up first...

Actually you could go to Tractor supply and buy the extra hooks...

Rollin_Free

One more thought is to obtain another set of Anderson hooks and have them on both ends! Then no issues about the clevis pins and it would be easy to remove the chains from the truck as well....I get my Sundance in mid June so will try the reverse set up first...

Actually you could go to Tractor supply and buy the extra hooks...

Now thats deja vu for sure. I thought of that very same thing when I got up this morning. I'm going to get the hooks later today to replace the clevises. I'll have the best of both options and able to completely remove or install the chains easily, quickly when I want. Removing them to store them with the hitch in a dry area is the best option IMHO.

I know you're anxious to get your Sundance. It'll be here before you know it.

Rollin_Free

Found the exact same hook at Northern Tool (No TSC here). Just under $8 for each one. Now I have easy in/out of the bed as well as easy connect/disconnect to the Anderson adapter block.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 39

Rollin_Free

First trip with the Sundance using the Anderson Hitch. Still making adjustments but getting closer.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 48

Rollin_Free

Yes they are our daughters dogs but they do let you know when anyone walks up. The trailer height was raised about 1" by the LT tires. I have the correct track in the rig waiting to install which will add another 2" to the height. I should be able to raise the hitch one notch to help with bed rail clearance for the hitch during tight turns. It's not bad right now but it's still not really set correctly yet.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
First trip with the Sundance using the Anderson Hitch. Still making adjustments but getting closer.

Your Chevy looks like the short box like mine . . .

How does it corner?

I have a slider hitch in case I get too close.

Haven't had to use it (slider) yet . . . but one day I know I will be glad I have it.

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

Rollin_Free

Your Chevy looks like the short box like mine . . .

How does it corner?

I have a slider hitch in case I get too close.

Haven't had to use it (slider) yet . . . but one day I know I will be glad I have it.

View attachment 45312 View attachment 45313 View attachment 45314 View attachment 45311

I haven't had any issues yet but I'm constantly watching things close when I'm turning to make sure the hitch doesn't hit the bed rail. In reality the plastic cover over the hitch is actually sticking down about 1 1/2" below the hitch and would touch the bed rail first so I'm thinking about trimming it to the bottom of the hitch but am waiting until I get the correct track installed to do this.

I have a 6'6" bed and like it quite a bit. I did have a Curt slider but when I switched to the Anderson Ultimate I decided to let it go with the other trailer. It was taking up room in my garage and I got tired of tripping over it. I'm very satisfied with the Anderson at 32#'s, 4500lbs hitch, and 24000 lbs tow so I don't miss the slider at all and I recovered valuable floor space that a 200+lb hitch was occupying. I think the 5'7" (approx) bed is only available in the LT Chevy so that's not a concern.

Chippendale

I was able to get a hold of Archie at Anderson on Saturday.....He indicated it would not be a problem or a safety issue to reverse the safety chain hook up....Clevis pins on your Truck Puck tie downs and the safety hooks on the eye bolts connected to the Anderson Pin adapter.

Think I will give it a try and see how I like it. You can always change it back. This will eliminate the safety chains from hanging off the pin box adapter when unhooked....

My F350 doesn’t have any puck tie downs, so I am hooking the Clevis pins to the rail frame and then the safety hooks to the eye bolts on the Andersen pin adaptor. This looks like it might be easier than how I have been hooking it as I should not have to crawl up into the bed to hook the chains. Will see when I hitch Thursday morning to move up the road. My question is should the chains be crossed behind the hitch ball, or up to the eye hooks on the same side?

DSCF0538.jpg

Rollin_Free

Hum.....? Don't know for sure but I've been hooking them up straight and making sure they won't snag on the hitch. It's too dark now so I'll hook up tomorrow and post the picture what mine looks like.

Maybe Garry could check with Archie referencing crossing the chains?

Doublegranch

It has always been standard practice to cross the chains on bumper hitches...The reason is if the hitch comes off the ball for some reason, the cross chains will cradle the hitch so it doesn't drag the pavement..I am not sure this is the case for a fifth wheel goose ball connections...if it comes off the ball, the chains will keep the hitch in the bed and not an issue in hitting the pavement....if the chains are long enough, it will take out your tail gate...but the chains from Anderson are short enough to keep that from happening...I planned on continuing to cross the chains, but will call Archie and post the final answer....

SNOKING

My F350 doesn’t have any puck tie downs, so I am hooking the Clevis pins to the rail frame and then the safety hooks to the eye bolts on the Andersen pin adaptor. This looks like it might be easier than how I have been hooking it as I should not have to crawl up into the bed to hook the chains. Will see when I hitch Thursday morning to move up the road. My question is should the chains be crossed behind the hitch ball, or up to the eye hooks on the same side?

View attachment 45317

How did my folding step stool get into the bed of your truck? Chris

Rollin_Free

Just a few pics of the Anderson installed in my truck

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 68

Doublegranch

Archie from Anderson just called and it is not necessary to cross the safety Chains on the Anderson Hitch.
Hope that answers your questions..