Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Chippendale

I couldn't see how crossing the chains would benefit anything. In fact, I don't even think they are needed in this situation
and probably wouldn't hold the trailer anyway based on how I have to attach them to the rail box, but if it will keep the Troopers happy I will use them. Thanks for checking, will be hitching later this evening.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
George: The way that hitch is designed, the chances of that ball getting past the safety bolt, something really tragic would have to happen...if that's the case the hitch coming off would be the least of your worries....

Safe travels....

Chippendale

George: The way that hitch is designed, the chances of that ball getting past the safety bolt, something really tragic would have to happen...if that's the case the hitch coming off would be the least of your worries....

Safe travels....

That is the way I feel, I have had mine since December of 2014 and have just started using the chains when I heard about the $500 fine in Texas. Just be sure the safety bolt is pushed in.

Rollin_Free

And twisted to the locking position!!!!!!!!!!!

OK- So how did you know I did that???:confused:

Oh well cats out of the bag now. Granted I caught it on my 3 and final walk around before leaving but I did catch it. I've been thinking if there needs to be something red on the locking handle shaft. Maybe painting it but it may not lock properly then. Probably overkill but I've been using the hitch for almost a year now and almost left it unlocked

Bohemian

I only towed it from the house to the storage lot with the bolt out one time and it scared me so bad that I have never failed to check since. I have the cable laying in the bed of my truck, so it is not real noticeable to some jerk walking by and wanting to cause trouble. I think they need to come up with some sort of locking handle, something similar to this. http://www.amazon.com/Statewide-Mat...4222915&sr=1-28&keywords=handle+with+key+lock

Yes, absolutely!

Doublegranch

George: That is an interesting idea! Wonder what we can come up with once you mount the handle on the pin box as suggested, make some type of device that will secure the handle until the device is: removed, opened or unlocked....I will see if I have any creative brain matter in that area. Great suggestion.

Chippendale

George: That is an interesting idea! Wonder what we can come up with once you mount the handle on the pin box as suggested, make some type of device that will secure the handle until the device is: removed, opened or unlocked....I will see if I have any creative brain matter in that area. Great suggestion.

I am talking about swapping the existing handle for somesort of lockable handle on the cable. Ifyou put the handle on the pin box, I would think you would have to climb upinto the truck to operate it.

Doublegranch

Not sure that is workable...If the handle was attached to a structure vs freely in the bed, I think you could rig up a device to go over the handle to secure it. But then again, I am not sure all this is necessary as do people really mess with your rig when you aren't inside??? When the TV is off the rig, it's not an issue and when your towing and perhaps away from the TV for a short time for lunch etc, I don't see it as a problem either. But it's still worth the thought of creating something just in case.

Chippendale

It's a low priority item or it already would have been addressed. Much easier to get in the habit of checking the handle and being sure the rod is pushed in every time you return to the truck when hitched.

Rollin_Free

It's a low priority item or it already would have been addressed. Much easier to get in the habit of checking the handle and being sure the rod is pushed in every time you return to the truck when hitched.

So the pics show what I was thinking would work. It's not actually holding very goog because the knob is very slick. I can't grind a flat spot on it because the knob shaft is very thin. If I kept the part longer that attaches to the knob maybe JB weld or similar could build up the area to hold the bracket better.

I'm going to AX man to see if I can find a knob with the same shaft key with a big diameter flange that could be drilled so I can replace the knob, bracket, and hose clamp.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    445.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.8 KB · Views: 65

Doublegranch

You keep what ever pin box came with your Bighorn. Nothing needs to be changed or added. The Anderson hitch has a pin box adapter to fit over your pin. Then the frame fits over your bed gooseball. Check out their videos at Anderson.com and make your own conclusions.
I just didn't want to lug around a 200 ++LB hitch in and out of the truck so this all Aluminium 32 lb hitch was a great solution.

Rollin_Free

I decided there had to be a better way to lock the hitch cable so I spent some time this afternoon working a solution. I purchased:
2- 2" x 1/2" hole fender washers
1- 2" x 3/8" hole fender washer
2- 10-32 X 1" Allen head screws with nylock nuts
1- 6" long X 5/8" steel strap
1- knob with a 3/8" hole for the control cable

I elongated the fender washer with the 3/8" hole until it fit on the hitch release shaft correctly. I put the two additional fender washers with the 1/2" holes behind the modified one. On the steel strap I enlarged the outside hole to 3/8" and the next one in was enlarged to 1/2". I then added the 6" steel strap to the back of the washer assembly and bolted them all together with the 10-32 screws and nylock nuts. It's not manufacture pretty but it is for sure user functional and it can be locked.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 66

Doublegranch

James: Help me out here!!! I am a little slow with what you did....was this just a support for the locking pin handle or some type of system to lock the handle in place?????? Did you use the Handle bracket that came with the hitch???

Update: Okay I see it is a system to lock the pin in place, but still don't completely understand how you lock it...Did you have to take the original handle off due to the inability to lock it????

Rollin_Free

James: Help me out here!!! I am a little slow with what you did....was this just a support for the locking pin handle or some type of system to lock the handle in place?????? Did you use the Handle bracket that came with the hitch???

I attached the release to the back side of the hitch instead of the side of the overhang using the mounting bracket that came with my hitch. By putting it there I don't have to reach over the bed rail to lock the hitch and it's protected from crush damage by the hitch.

I replaced the original lock release handle with the assembly that I built. This one has the ability to be locked which is similar to what other manufactures are doing. If the assembly I built didn't work I wanted to be able to restore the latch release to original condition.:cool:

This was around the discussion in post #249.

Doublegranch

AHHH...Got it.....I was under the impression from the instruction manual that the handle needed to be on the side....So it really doesn't matter, where you place it as long as the cable isn't kinked..... You are the Man!!!

Rollin_Free

AHHH...Got it.....I was under the impression from the instruction manual that the handle needed to be on the side....So it really doesn't matter, where you place it as long as the cable isn't kinked..... You are the Man!!!

I have been wanting to get the latch release cable off the floor of the bed and this locking latch thought just made me want to make it work better. It's actually one of the topics I wanted to discuss with Anderson but they haven't responded to me yet. Now that there is a working prototype maybe they'll contact me.