Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

RNMAJ

We just finished a 2800 mile trip using the Andersen and had no issues at all using it a Ram 3500 shortbed, dually, not even close to the cab on some pretty tight turns. Great hitch!!!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Super! I will be checking out my hitch this week. I leave the Ranch tomorrow morning for Elkhart to pick up the new Sundance! Finally done and I am excited to see the new model...3100CK. I was able to get the Anderson hitch locked in place with my bed rug in place by adjusting the three bolts on the gooseball hitch adapter....it dropped down over my gooseball and no issues...
I get the Sundance at 8:30 AM on Saturday....will stay in Elkhart for a couple days, put new G614's on and head back on Monday or Tuesday. Pic's to follow!!!

Mrsfish

Super! I will be checking out my hitch this week. I leave the Ranch tomorrow morning for Elkhart to pick up the new Sundance! Finally done and I am excited to see the new model...3100CK. I was able to get the Anderson hitch locked in place with my bed rug in place by adjusting the three bolts on the gooseball hitch adapter....it dropped down over my gooseball and no issues...
I get the Sundance at 8:30 AM on Saturday....will stay in Elkhart for a couple days, put new G614's on and head back on Monday or Tuesday. Pic's to follow!!!

congratulations Garry! You've been anxiously waiting for this time to come for a looooong time. Safe travels for you and the girls!

Doublegranch

Thanks Ann!!! I will be back next Wed and ready for the White Mtns.....Let's see if we can get into BIg Lake....
Tell Rick hi...

Rollin_Free

Safe travels my friend. Enjoy the scenery. This time of the year is a great time for traveling in the north country. Enjoy visiting with your relatives as well. If you have any questions or issues with your Anderson just feel free to give me a call.

Doublegranch

Got your number and will do! Thanks and I appreciate our conversations about the Anderson....I think we both made a great choice!~
By the way the GPS says it is 1879 OW...Since my new 16 Ram isn't broken in yet, it will be interesting to see what the mpg are going vs
returning under tow...I think you said you were getting around 12.....

Rollin_Free

Got your number and will do! Thanks and I appreciate our conversations about the Anderson....I think we both made a great choice!~
By the way the GPS says it is 1879 OW...Since my new 16 Ram isn't broken in yet, it will be interesting to see what the mpg are going vs

Yes I'll be interested in what you get bobtail and then what you get when towing. My dad was always a Dodge man and he just couldn't convince me to switch from GM. We're heading out to Kansas City soon and I'll let you know what we get on that trip since it will be our first long trip with this TV and this 5th wheel. Granted it's not as long as your trip but long enough to get an average.

FYI we bobtailed it this past weekend to Owatonna and got 23mpg, whow I wouldn't have ever thought a truck this size could get that kind of mileage.

Last edited:

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Glad you are finally getting to hit the road and pick up the Sundance. I know it has been a VERY long wait. (No more cabins. :)) Safe travels!!!

Doublegranch

First portion of the trip was 1300 miles, from the Ranch to Springfield, NE to visit my brother...22.8 mpg...made the trip just at 20 hours straight.
I know when I pick up the Sundance, I will never see these kind of numbers again...

Rollin_Free

First portion of the trip was 1300 miles, from the Ranch to Springfield, NE to visit my brother...22.8 mpg...made the trip just at 20 hours straight.
I know when I pick up the Sundance, I will never see these kind of numbers again...

Ok so I know you didn't buy your truck for the fuel mileage. Besides I've seen pictures of what I think your Sundance looks like and I really don't think you're gonna have any issues with using a little more fuel to get where you're going with the new rig right behind you.

OEFVET

I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW and I average 22.0 mpg. When I tow my Cyclone the mileage averages between 10-12 mpg. Your mileage might be a little better since your Sundance is lighter then my Cyclone.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW and I average 22.0 mpg.

Wow!

I only get 15 mpg with my 2015 Chevy 2500HD gasser . . . although I do have the 4.10 rear end.

I'm getting between 8-10 mpg when pulling the trailer on the flatlands and 6-7 mpg in the mountains or driving into the desert wind!

IronJ

Ha...I don't even 14 with no trailer on my dually..yall are lucky..I get 6-8 towing on a good day!! ...

Pay to play or some crap they tell me...hahaha

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bones

I have a 2015 GMC 3500HD DRW and I average 22.0 mpg. When I tow my Cyclone the mileage averages between 10-12 mpg. Your mileage might be a little better since your Sundance is lighter then my Cyclone.
Is this mileage on the highway? I see to only get about 9 mpg around here. Lots of hills though.

Rollin_Free

Ha...I don't even 14 with no trailer on my dually..yall are lucky..I get 6-8 towing on a good day!! ...

Pay to play or some crap they tell me...hahaha

I was actually expecting the same mileage you're getting but was pleasantly surprised when my first fill up showed 22mpg. It kinda shocked me and I didn't tell anyone because I thought I was wrong and didn't think anyone would believe me. For almost a year now I've been routinely getting 18-20 city-hwy and the 22 is all highway miles. The best I've ever gotten was 22.9 but that is the max ever. I'm anxious for our first long trip to see what my tow mileage will be. Even though it doesn't really matter it'll be nice to know.

My Tundra struggled to get 14 unloaded and dropped to 6-8 like your gasser does when towing. I'm positioning myself for a dually upgrade within the next two years and glad to hear other owners are getting similar mileage results on the Chevy and Dodge 3500 HD 4X4. I've heard great things about the Ram 3500 and am watching closely to see what happens while I'm waiting. You never know, I may be looking at GM in my rear view mirror in 2018.

IronJ

My dually was not built or modified with mpg in mind...just to be a bad ol tow beast!!..and that it is...lol..I mean there is a reason the epa don't make em post mpg on the sticker...haha

I will say that my first f250 srw diesel would get 17-20 highway (depending on wind) as it was in stock with no mods..and about 14 city stop and go (more stop than go)..

RNMAJ

I've got a 2012 Ram 3500 Megacab dually and got between 11.3 and 12.2 hauling a 11K Greystone fiver on our last trip. The only thing done is the EGR delete, will soon delete the DPF, the newer ones don't have that stuff, just DEF, my truck also has 150K miles on it.

Just as an FYI, I spoke to one of the Reps at Heartland on a tour(about 2 weeks ago) and he said that Lippert has now give their blessing to use the Andersen hitch, haven't checked this out yet but believe if the factory Rep knew about it its probably true.

Rollin_Free

I've got a 2012 Ram 3500 Megacab dually and got between 11.3 and 12.2 hauling a 11K Greystone fiver on our last trip. The only thing done is the EGR delete, will soon delete the DPF, the newer ones don't have that stuff, just DEF, my truck also has 150K miles on it.

Just as an FYI, I spoke to one of the Reps at Heartland on a tour(about 2 weeks ago) and he said that Lippert has now give their blessing to use the Andersen hitch, haven't checked this out yet but believe if the factory Rep knew about it its probably true.

That's great news!! I would suspect that the approved Goosebox actually puts way more stress on the pinbox than a kingpin or the Anderson Ultimate adapter. IMO Lippert is concerned that the Anderson Ultimate design will take over the Goosebox and gooseball adapter market and will eventually eliminate them. Since Lippert went to Anderson first and were turned down I think they already saw the writing on the wall. Just my opinion nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

I sincerely apologize to everyone for the off topic discussion regarding MPG. I looked back and I was the instigator for diverting away from the Anderson Ultimate hitch topic. I'll will make sure I stay on topic better in future discussions.